Pass Aleph 0s: How to disassemble & assemble it to replace power capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What value is normal?

I'm away from my Aleph. I'll measure it on Monday.
BTW, per schematic, thermister is between AC power-line Earth and audio GND.
(I'm not sure AC power-line earth is connected to Chassis earth.)
By single-ended output design, Speaker Negative output is audio GND.
So, at normal condition, resistance of thermister should be read.
Is it correct? Then, what value is normal value?

Attachments

• Aleph 0 power-line.jpg
    Aleph 0 power-line.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 225
Zen,
1) Case A: if normal CL60 (5~6ohm) resistance is measured, then what's next step?
2) Case B: if abnormal value, I need to check the connections / thermister condition, right?

One more question, when I reviewed another Class-A amp from Plinius, there is floating GND control switch. Like that, what do you think about disconnecting Earch (Chassis, power-line) from Audio GND?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ground lift switch is pretty common thing on professional audio products ;

however , praxis is as that - licensed tech usually operates them , and ground lift is used (if needed) only when everything is connected together , and everything is on gnd potential anyway ........ so safety is maintained

you can try to solve problems upstream ...... or (on Aleph) most easily - inserting resistor of 10-22R between one input gnd and it's channel gnd ( cut gnd wire , insert resistor)

Thanks, Zen.
The resistance between Earth (power) and Left SPK Negative is 13.6ohm.
Interestingly, the resistance between Left SPK Neg and Right SPK Neg is 3ohm.
So, I think 3ohm is just contact resistance. (but a little big)
Then, it is around 10ohm between Earth and Audio GND.
Considering your recommendation, it should be suitable number.

So, I will try to tune my power supplying network (source, pre-amp, power-amp) at first.
If not fruitful, I'll try to add additional resister (10~20ohm) between Earth to Audio GND as you recommended.

Even in current condition, "No problem" to listen to music unless I attach my ear to speaker woofer unit. :)
I'm just learning audio basics to maintain my Aleph at good condition.
Thank you for your kind advises.

Now, I'm considering changing pre-amp, the candidate of Cary SPL-03 (tube preamp)
When I review recommended pre-amps for Aleph 0s, recommendation is a preamp with "High Gain (>20dB) and very low output impedance (<200ohm)."

Aleph 0s Balanced input
Gain: 20dB
Input impendance: 26kohm

Cary SPL-03
Gain: 16dB
Output impedance: 500ohm

Will it match, reviewing technical data? (Of course, the ideal is to match & listen but practically, I should do paper work at first.)

Per my calculation,
Output impedance 500ohm - load (input impedance) 26kohm ==> -0.165dB voltage gain loss
* Note: For audio frequency range, the magnitude of impedance of MOSET input stage is dominated by discrete resisters. 26kohm load is static over frequency/input dynamics.

Voltage Gain
8ohm, 40W = 17.88Vrms

From Source ouptut;
Voltage gain from Pre-amp to Aleph SPK out = 16 - 0.165 + 20 = 36.83dB
Pre-amp input referred voltage = (17.88V) / (36.83dB) = 289mVrms
Modern sources can supply higher than 289 mVrms ==> No problem

From Pre-amp output;
Rated output of Pre-amp = 2V, for 40W output, 19dB gain is needed. ==> No problem.

Speaker sensitivity is related to "How loud you want" per power-amp Watt.
For same loudness, smaller sensitivity, more power (power-amp)
My speaker is modern & open-duct and sensitivity is moderate.

I wondered why people were saying (200ohm output impedance, 20dB gain ...)
But I'm humble student to open ears to others' audio experiences.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.