• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Partridge Vs Edcor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

This is an old chestnut, however I am looking at shipping costs of Edcor and comparison with Partridge.

Is it worth shipping Edcore how much am I going to gain? or is it better to go with Partridge.

Looking at Edcore GXSE10-8-5K and XPWR146-240 for a quick project.

I have E-mailed Edcor for cost. I will let you know the outcome!
This is linked to the SE post previously.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I notice that on the Edcor website it requires you to register before you can get a shipping cost. This I think is a bad oversight on the part of Edcor, because people will not commit to an unknown cost. If it is to high then OK it's to high, however if it’s OK they are loosing custom!
I am trying to be constructive for Edcor!

If anyone has some info regards quality of sound Etc please post!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I notice that on the Edcor website it requires you to register before you can get a shipping cost. This I think is a bad oversight on the part of Edcor, because people will not commit to an unknown cost. If it is to high then OK it's to high, however if it’s OK they are loosing custom!
I am trying to be constructive for Edcor!

If anyone has some info regards quality of sound Etc please post!

Regards
M. Gregg
Hello,
I buy Edcor because i like the performance.
A secondary benifit is the pricing. In your case there is shipping and all that blue water in between.
I do not care for the Edcor registration process, they ask for personal information other vendors do not.
DT
All just for fun!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hello,
I buy Edcor because i like the performance.
A secondary benifit is the pricing. In your case there is shipping and all that blue water in between.
I do not care for the Edcor registration process, they ask for personal information other vendors do not.
DT
All just for fun!

DT,

Thank's for posting.
I have registered with Edcor they show shipping for 2X output and 1X power Tx as $53 (estimated) which seems quite good.
You have to remember these are small SE Tx.
I will probably place an order and hope they don't hike the cost.

It's interesting to see that there are not many comments. I thought there would be more takers. I guess those that use Edcor stick with them. Those that use Tango etc don't comment.
Interesting (No Partridge takers) "In a Pear tree"

When I know more I will post info!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
DT,

Thank's for posting.
I have registered with Edcor they show shipping for 2X output and 1X power Tx as $53 (estimated) which seems quite good.
You have to remember these are small SE Tx.
I will probably place an order and hope they don't hike the cost.

It's interesting to see that there are not many comments. I thought there would be more takers. I guess those that use Edcor stick with them. Those that use Tango etc don't comment.
Interesting (No Partridge takers) "In a Pear tree"

When I know more I will post info!

Regards
M. Gregg
I have been using Hammond in my amps,i order them from Holland(jukebox-revival)and shipping is free for over 100E order,but the Edcor is less than half price,and i am considering to make a order from them.
I didnt know that Partridge was making tranformers again,i think their OPTs were very good,were used i the best guitar amps,i have a Hiwatt amp with Partridge power tranformer and OPt and still works perfect.
Silvino

:snowman2:Hello M Gregg,
If you want to stimulate the US economy you might also consider Electra-Print transformers. Jack is more conservative with power ratings, his transformers are industrial looking, audiophile, weigh more and cost in the range of double + of the Edcor’s. Jack seems not to add to actual shipping costs.
Two calling birds!

DT
All just for fun!

I have been using Hammond in my amps,i order them from Holland(jukebox-revival)and shipping is free for over 100E order,but the Edcor is less than half price,and i am considering to make a order from them.
I didnt know that Partridge was making tranformers again,i think their OPTs were very good,were used i the best guitar amps,i have a Hiwatt amp with Partridge power tranformer and OPt and still works perfect.
Silvino
And i forgot to ask you what is the meaning of " IN A PEAR TREE" ,Since i am not english, some things i dont understand,but probably my english is better than your portuguese:D
Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Having worked with or heard Tango, Hammond, Edcor and Partridge, there is no contest in my mind. Partridge wins hands down.

But that may be model specific, I don't know. Having heard Partridge iron vs Tango U808 on the same amp, the Tango was nice, the Partridge superb. (measurements backed that up) Large price difference, tho. But again, I don't know much about the models and lines chez Partridge.

I do know that they can make a very nice OPT.

Panomiac,

It not only may be model specific, it IS model specific.
The Tango U808 is (in Tango terms) a budget transformer, wound on EI instead of their higher quality c-core types.
Partridge was taken over in 1968 by Transformers&RectifiersLtd; checking the website their focus seems not to be audio transformers.
Even before 1968 Partridge did not have their own production facility but designed transformers and had them wound somewhere as fas as I am informed, but maybe our British teammates can throw some more light on this matter.

I don't know; have no experience with them because I am a winder myself.
What amazes me though is that all well-known American brands seem to use EI cores, whereas the higher quality transformers (IMHO) use c-cores (Tango, Tamura, Lundahl, Bartolucci, Audionote, myself). The only guy in the US using c-cores is my friend David Slagle, and McIntosh used c-cores in their better days.
Why is this? I don't want to trigger a discussion on c-cores vs EI cores, but why do people use expensive top quality tubes likes 2A3, 300B (fashion?) and use budget EI transformers?

Hi M gregg,

I have used Hammond and Edcor.
Edcor is as good if not better than hammond IMHO.
One small problem with Edcor is they make each transformer on
order and it takes 4 weeks to get your order. Shipping is
good, they dont set the price - the carrier does...
If all you need is 2 SE low-hi outputs check with
Antique Electronic Supply
they have them going for $13.00 usd each. look under miscellanous
transformers.
I just got two of these and they sound pretty darn good to me for low-hi.
I used these with 6V6 SE....

Here's a picture of my low-fi 6V6 SE cake pan amp.

Attachments

• exp7.JPG
    exp7.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 178
:snowman2: Hello ,
My amplifiers tend to be what if creations built from 1 dollar sweep tubes. Even with Edcor’s $40 custom fee they sound good and are cost competitive.
I do have a pair of 307A’s to match with a pair of 50 ma 5 watt, 5K : 8R Electra-Prints to try next.

The next $200 will be spent on vinyl not iron.

DT
All just for fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.