Parallel capacitors placement on crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to replace old electrolytic capacitors on a crossover. One of them is 500uF which I plan to replace it with 15x 33uF film capacitors. I've read many discussions about single vs. multiple capacitors in parallel and some mentioned that using parallel capacitors may create a resonance issue at certain frequencies.

There are two questions I have that I am not able to find clear answers and would appreciate some help here. (fyi, I chose not to use a small film cap to bypass the large electrolytic.)

1) should I use a different combination of the capacitors? I can go for a 1x 100uF + 12x 33uF combination, but going lower (such as 25 x 20uF) would be cost prohibitive.

2) how should I physically mount those capacitors? I mean should I keep them apart from each other as possible, or tightly glued them together in some way?

Thanks!

Paralleling Caps

When building a XO , I try to get as close as I can to the design values. This means paralleling Caps.
Eg: I needed a 7.27 uF so I combined 6.8 + 0.47 uf . One thing I was concerned about was crosstalk cap to cap when they are touching. To minimize this I connect the outside foil ends together and to ground if possible. This sounds like over kill, but its free , and who knows .

See my web site.
Don

www.donpatten.com

Don, thanks for your sharing of my concerns. Your point about +/- orientation of the caps matches what auricap and kimble recommend.

I still don't know if I should keep those caps closely together or far apart. There are many parallel caps discussions in this forum on PSU, but not crossovers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.