Paper Cone Treatments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My experience from the coating of cones is that weight impairs the ability of sensitivity. The cone will move slower but the sound will be more homogeneous.
I have applied coating to paper cones with good results. But they got slower and some details in the music disappeared. The coating consisted of thinner and araldite. 95% thinner. Thinner will evaporate and the coating weighed very little.
I also applied coating on trebles.
ScanSpeak soft textile dome. First I removed the soft coating that was on and then I applied the diluted araldite in a thin layer.
In fact, I haven't heard a better treble than this one.

Last edited:
No, not really. I just want the sound to be as good as possible for me.
That it can be helpful to others is fun.
But the weight of the cone increases and the sound becomes more homogeneous. Then you can strengthen the magnet by gluing on an extra magnet to increase the magnetic force. You have to glue it so that it wants to repel it. Increase by ~ 20%.

That's fine, it's all about pleasing yourself after all. But if someone thinks it's helpful purely from your verbal description and tries it only to find it doesn't improve the sound for them but makes it worse, it's not much fun for them if they can't reverse the procedure, can they, just in case?

No, it's hard. You have to take it as a man. If it is done then you cannot regret it.
Thus, coating paper cones cannot be undone. But I like to try myself. If you have expensive items then recommend that you be careful. There is a difference it is clear. But if you don't hear the difference then it makes no sense.

Indeed. Thing is, many people here state their own findings on a given matter; last I checked however, there is no obligation upon them to spend large amounts of extra time and money for the benefit of others if they don't wish to do so. Other people are free to try out what they say they have done if it interests them. That's their choice.

Last edited:
This is why it would be nice to have some measurements shown with pictures and a description of exactly what someone did and the results in a universally understood form. For example, what do you mean by the sound becoming more homogeneous?
It's also what I mean by it being a risky business, not from a money making point of view, but a money losing one.

In this context it implies to me more uniform, consistent etc, and makes me think of the FR, in other words a flat FR will fewer resonant peaks etc. I, for one, would have been curious enough to take measurements to confirm that is what had happened, maybe next time, if there is one, you will be too :)

I think the coating can break down resonances that exist. It will be calmer and more comfortable sound.

This treatment is currently used by manufacturers of prestigious speakers, is known as "doping" and must be done with absolute assistance of measurements.
Also lately mass has been added only at the edge of the cone to cancel out undesirable resonances at certain frequencies.
Coincidentally there is a very recent article here.
And something to keep in mind, is that when changing the mass with different materials, the speaker's tone is altered.

W12CY003

Last edited:
to Scottjoplin
although my results would be considered purely subjective a group of 8 people unanimously chose a titanium horn diaphragm that was EnABLed!

each participant needed to chose between three 2441 JBL's , one untreated, one with "dots" at a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 intervals and one with "dots" at the 1/3 and 2/3 intervals of the diaphragms circumference, not sure why but the clear winner was the one treated at 1/3's....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.