Papa’s slot loaded open baffle version #2

Some progress made on the prototype, it makes music. No measurements yet, using the values from Papa's Cube full range schematic. Spent as much time trying to work on techniques for finishing the wood, baffle turned out decent, frame for 15" needs some work.

Any updates? Really what to get your impressions of the Cube drivers in the SLOB.

I stopped by Refined Audio’s room at CAF and had the opportunity to talk to Jon for awhile and he is very familiar with the SLOB. He recommended the Acoustic Elegance TD15x with Apollo upgrade for the base driver.

I listened to the Nenuphar with their 12” subwoofer. They sounded very good, and were driven by a low power diy version of F4 and PL XP-32 pre. The One speaker that stood out to me from the 2019 CAF show were the Cubes.

Any updates? Really what to get your impressions of the Cube drivers in the SLOB.

I stopped by Refined Audio’s room at CAF and had the opportunity to talk to Jon for awhile and he is very familiar with the SLOB. He recommended the Acoustic Elegance TD15x with Apollo upgrade for the base driver.

I listened to the Nenuphar with their 12” subwoofer. They sounded very good, and were driven by a low power diy version of F4 and PL XP-32 pre. The One speaker that stood out to me from the 2019 CAF show were the Cubes.

No news, unfortunately with work, I've not had a chance to listen again since last weekend. Did order some walnut plywood to make the final baffles.

Since I moved into a new house my living room increased in size considerable, 28’X 28’ X 10’ my existing speakers are a little small and I would like to increase size of speaker so I don’t have to turn up amp to get nice balance of bass. I was considering the slot loaded OB however I have one problem, the left side of the living room is open to the kitchen and entry hallway making it 50’ X 28’ X 10’. I am questioning if this is such a good application for these speakers?
Bill

Last edited:
Final baffles made, they turned out nice and the construction of the second base went smoothly, but I am a poor paint finisher, fortunately the room is dimly lit!

Still not measured anything yet besides simple check on iphone to set levels, but using the baseline Cube crossover value from Nelson, it sounds wonderful. I spent ~15 yrs with various versions of Zu speakers, so it is a general sound signature I am familiar with, but in this room (theater with front wall treated/relatively dead behind the acoustically transparent screen) the bottom end is excellent.

Working on an F7-ish amp for the bottom end and need to bring down SissySIT from upstairs to give a listen!

Thanks to all, a fun project and something to keep tinkering with.

Attachments

• IMG_4519 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4519 (Large).jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_4520 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4520 (Large).jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_4521 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4521 (Large).jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 483
I personally have found that Qts is less critical with OB's. In any case the Eminence betas, Deltas and Gammas do a credible job. Of course the TAD 1601's are still the last word...

;)

I have the opportunity to get a pair of Eminence Omega Pro 15 units in 'almost new' condition for less than the cost of a pair of new Gamma 15s - a reasonable compromise given the non-availability of the Definimax units here in the UK?

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Omega_Pro_15A.pdf

Hey all! I've read every post in this thread and I still, somehow, find myself itching to spend money and make saw dust! :ROFLMAO:

I've been living happily with AN Super 8" Ferro over 18" Goldwood H-Frames (per MJK build) for several years but I recently moved and my smaller living room makes me wish for an OB that was even slightly smaller than the H-Frames. The single driver SLOB is an interesting concept. Has anyone lived with both the SLOB and an H-Frame implementation that could compare the two, bass wise?

I want to do a budget build, at least on the bass end of things, so I have more $$$$ for the FR. The Lii Fast 8 looks very interesting to me. I already have a pair of Crown XLS1500 and I use their internal crossovers and gain pots to match my current FR and H-Frames. A DBX Driverack PA2 may also be in my future, so I can use a more refined amp on the tops.

The GRS woofer mentioned earlier looks very interesting, and at $59 each is hard for me not to consider:

https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-15PT-8-15-Paper-Cone-Prosound-Woofer-3-Voice-Coil-8-Ohm-292-808
This Dayton also looks appealing:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-PA380-8-15-Pro-Woofer-295-034
And of course there are all the different Eminence 15" offerings.

Thoughts? Opinions? Merry Christmas!