Panasonic UB9000 - discussions, mods, improvements

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That LPS mod approach it seems indeed a cheap solution, which it looks quite difficult to implement it, as it involve a swap of the original connectors from original board to that LPS board. One should have the whole device available to replace only the original PSU for that LPS board. Definitely not an DIY mod.
The clock system it seems to me, using an large (white) board, placed in the place of the analogue board, which I suspect it include the temperature control or regulators circuits for the OXCOs. One should also note about some switching regulators or DC/DC converters on that board... The small clock board connected directly to the removed original oscillator pads, it may be an clock signal driver or signal level converter circuit.
If one should renounce to the original analogue section/board, to be able to use that large clock servo board, is a very bad concept. At least for an commercial implementation...

Reactions: 1 user
Gents, anyone know what the Panasonic 9000 plays when its showing DTS HD on the player when using analogue out ?

I am just wondering if the 9000 processes ATMOS and maps the object based channel information to the appraise speaker or of it just sends the bed channels in the 7.1 format ?

I havent had the lid off for a while. One other question I had is when bypassing the filter caps, which are the most important I think I can squeeze a pair of better films from above on one pair but not both. I see Authentic use Wimas (image below) on the four filter caps. Are the top two with or those that look like they are after the Opamps more influential ?

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 16.49.58.png

That LPS mod approach it seems indeed a cheap solution, which it looks quite difficult to implement it, as it involve a swap of the original connectors from original board to that LPS board. One should have the whole device available to replace only the original PSU for that LPS board. Definitely not an DIY mod.
The clock system it seems to me, using an large (white) board, placed in the place of the analogue board, which I suspect it include the temperature control or regulators circuits for the OXCOs. One should also note about some switching regulators or DC/DC converters on that board... The small clock board connected directly to the removed original oscillator pads, it may be an clock signal driver or signal level converter circuit.
If one should renounce to the original analogue section/board, to be able to use that large clock servo board, is a very bad concept. At least for an commercial implementation...

Never seen these large Clock boards before. Interesting though ! https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sclk-ex/

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi graticular,
Not yet for Magnetar. I am still waiting for this opportunity ... If you own a such player, then please PM me and we could do it. Magnetar it seems to me a very capable device. First as it is, and even more then, upgraded accordingly...
I have already an LPS solution for UB450. By the way, this is an cheap Panasonic player, but which it deliver the best picture quality I have seen so far, after LPS installed (as some other improvements as well). Better than UB9000 and LX500/800. I think I will start soon a new thread about this surprising UB450 device.

Not yet for Magnetar. I am still waiting for this opportunity ... If you own a such player, then please PM me and we could do it. Magnetar it seems to me a very capable device. First as it is, and even more then, upgraded accordingly...
I have already an LPS solution for UB450. By the way, this is an cheap Panasonic player, but which it deliver the best picture quality I have seen so far, after LPS installed (as some other improvements as well). Better than UB9000 and LX500/800. I think I will start soon a new thread about this surprising UB450 device.

Thanks Coris, I don't have a Magnetar, but may be getting one.

Interesting what you say about the UB450 having the best picture. From the reviews I have read it would seem that the UB820 has much the same picture quality as the UB450, and at least as good. Have you worked with the 820?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have not yet worked on UB820, but I suspect these devices may use the same or very similar chipsets (processors), so it may not be a surprise that the picture is of similar high quality in these last models. In the end it is about how good the data (digital signals) are processed, with better speed and improved memory capacities, as how the internal software algorithms er improved. I have noticed how nice HDR is working on this model. It have a very big impact over picture quality indeed., comparing it with another older models. Also the menu in this device is very responsive, much more user friendly, than in UB9000. All is smooth and fast, nothing is freezing, the reading of the USB stick is very fast (lot of GB of files are ready for playback in around a second). The UB450 It is indeed a very good surprise all point of view, especially when is about a so cheap device. The upgrades it only improve everything, but in this case the upgrades cost is higher than the device price itself... More about this device in a dedicated thread (soon).

It is very interesting about the picture on the 450, and a great exercise in what can be achieved.
There are a number of features which which unsurprisingly, given its price, the 450 lacks. I, and probably most people interested in getting the very best from a bluray player would want these. Specifically the 450
appears to have no HDR optimiser or 7.1 out, cant play HLG, and can't adjust subtitles. I believe there are also some issues with build quality. It would seem that the 'sweet spot' of the Panasonic range would be the 820 which I suspect may be more worthy of your modifications.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes of course, this cheap device it lacks some features, just to make it a low cost player. For sure this device it fit for the needs of many users who need only to playback discs or streaming content over its network interface, and are using the digital sound output (HDMI) on another devices to get the appropriate audio quality out of it.
However, I suggest we move the discussion about this player from here (thread dedicated to UB9000) to the new crated thread for UB450 (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/panasonic-ub450-discussions-upgrades.398794/)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It may have something to do with the shielding or grounding, Not so sure about the reasons. I think the board is only two layers. Hard to know what the designers had in mind when decided to put these holes on the board edges. It may not be a significant shielding so...:scratch2:

Reactions: 1 user