PA amp vs. Hifi amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
A truly excellent range of PA amps was made in the 90's by H+H, and called the Chameleon. They ranged from 2x300w to the 2x1000w shown in the pic below. They were all 1U high, built like nothing on earth, quiet, and sounded phenominal. I have heard many touring pro market PA amps, but these were easily the most musical, defined and powerful. I would recommend them to anyone, and if I had the money, I would have a rack full of them.

However, because they were so compact, they were a complete %$^&&%$£ to work on!:)

I completely forgot about that amp Pinkmouse! I guess I was just thinking of current production amps. The Cameleon really does shine. Snatch one up if you can find one for a reasonable price.

Cheers,
Zach

I've got the PA amp now (yes, the Public Address Power Amp:D )
The van noise is quite annoying when playing at lower volumes, so I put a switch in it. My intention was to shut it off when listening at low levels, but even at high levels the amp stays cool. The van is situated right on top of the cooling ribs (doubt this is the right word, quess everyone knows what I mean). Could it be possible that the van is needed, even though the 'cooling ribs' stay at a low temperature?

Quote:

I've got the PA amp now (yes, the Public Address Power Amp )
The van noise is quite annoying when playing at lower volumes, so I put a switch in it. My intention was to shut it off when listening at low levels, but even at high levels the amp stays cool. The van is situated right on top of the cooling ribs (doubt this is the right word, quess everyone knows what I mean). Could it be possible that the van is needed, even though the 'cooling ribs' stay at a low temperature?

Altec Lansing and EV amps of the 90's used a tunnel with a fan at the end. In normal operation there was no heat and the fan was overkill. They did employ a nice feature and that was a resistor in series with the fan to slow it down thus lowering the noise level.
In addition to this they used a thermal device that was normally open and closed upon high temperature. This thermal paralled the series resistor. If the temp went up the fan went high speed and if the temp was low the fan went slow. Personally I would employ a circuit like this on your amp for protection.

Yes, these amps are of commercial vintage suitable for stadium or banquet hall or other usage. They are not considered as "Hi Fi" by any means. The distortion figures are good but they lack the sonic quality of a true "Hi Fi" amp.

Personally, I am fond of the "GAS" and "SAE" models because of the complimentry design from into to output.

The fan, the fan...

Caution, the fan may be keeping other components cool inside the amp not just the main heatsink.

There could be transistors mounted on the circuit boards with small heatsinks (clip-on etc.) that run warm with the fan on and very hot with the fan off.

If the fan is the mains voltage variety you can slow it down (with a small mains rated capacitor in series) to an inaudible level and still maintain good airflow.

Cheers

Hi!
Just to be sure I send an e-mail to the manufacturer.
They replied to me that PA amps are often used with at full power. Many users use them at clipping level. Their amps are built to stay alive during sustained overload. The fan is there to to keep the parts below 80 degrees C. When the temperature gets above that level, red alarm LED's at the frontpanel will light up.
They said that if the amp was used at or below half power the fan would not really be needed. Mind that at this level the clipping LED's do light up during transients.
Considering the fact that I have untill now never had the amps clipping indicators light up, I don't think I need the fan.
The amp sounds good btw. I compared it to my NAD 216, and I couldn't tell the difference in direct comparison (not blind).

Hi everyone

Hi ,

PA amp is personal assistant of sound contractor/operator.

You can simply run the PA amp continuously for days non-stop and that too at full level and with ambient temp. around 55C.
You can simply short circuit the ouptut of amp for playing if you dont have access to fire crackers safely because it will not turn up into smoke
:D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.