P10-hifi Alpair 7.3eN + SDX7eN WAW (aka FAST)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Neither works for me. The 'subwoofer technology' bit is daft, and the alternative origin / basis for it (slightly more recent I believe) is almost as bad, given the near-random lifting of letters to make them fit. ;)

I just call them 2-way speakers. Because they are. Either way,

a/ it doesn't make any difference how terrible I think the acronyms are since they're here to stay for better or worse (just a pet rant of mine), and

b/ this is the correct way to design a 2-way where one driver is covering a very wide BW. Always better to use a dedicated LF unit; there are more small wideband drivers with quality HF than there are large wideband drivers with quality bass. Especially when you consider how poor the HF hearing is of many people over the age of c.30.

Agreed on all counts, gents.

Now I have to go through my posting history and see if I've used the term more than one or two times, it'd be most embarrassing. :)

I keep meaning to build such a speaker with my FF85WK's.

Last edited:
L.Cao's F6 is great (for a FR) - don't think the ferrite 8 is around anymore (?) I made two huge stupid t-lines around 1969 much larger than K15 - 12" woofer - low Xover to 8" whizzer cone Jensen - then funky little horn - Weems came up with some bulky stuff. Villchur and Kloss rule !

There are precious few 8" bass drivers that will get seriously into the C0 octave with any power. A few 10"'s, but most 12"'s. There are a lot of 12"'ers that can get up to at least to 500Hz with the break-up over 1kHz. So....

I went with a sealed 12" EQ's in-room flat to 20Hz and enough power to give 90dB @ 20Hz.

Bob

There are precious few 8" bass drivers that will get seriously into the C0 octave with any power. A few 10"'s, but most 12"'s. There are a lot of 12"'ers that can get up to at least to 500Hz with the break-up over 1kHz. So....

I went with a sealed 12" EQ's in-room flat to 20Hz and enough power to give 90dB @ 20Hz.

Some 8" fullrangers can squeak down to C1, but frankly at the expense of the midbass. I'm sure you know this... :D

Most people think of 20hz response as something useful mostly for Godzilla stomps, but I really enjoy extended sub-bass with classical music. It really helps the capture ambience of the room.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
b/ this is the correct way to design a 2-way where one driver is covering a very wide BW.

Actually with a more typical FAST XO at 300 Hz or so, BW coverage is close to that of a cone + dome with an XO at 1.25 kHz.

This one has a low XO and of the 9.5 octave range, 2.5 octave for the bass drivers & the rest with the A7.

dave

....It really helps the capture ambiance of the room.

Exactly! Do a spectrogram of a recording in any medium to large concert hall and you will see significant response below the 40Hz that is the real bottom of most single-driver speakers. It is these echos and resonances that give weight to real live performances that is missing in studio recordings.

Bob

subwoofers are 'technology', unlike other drivers. :rolleyes:
You're reading it incorrectly. It reminds me of North Americans who can't pronounce Worcestershire.
The 'subwoofer technology' bit is daft
It's not 'sub technology', it's 'FR and sub' technology. No wonder you have a hard time with it.
I just call them 2-way speakers. Because they are.
How about: Assisted Woofer & Fullrange Under License :)
Freakin Awesome System for Tinkerers
Ya baby! :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.