• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output cap for OTL headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The B+ power supply is on a separate board, but the 6v is on the same board, but it is on one side of the board. The exact schematic is attached:

Attachments

• VoltageRegulatorSchematic.JPG
    VoltageRegulatorSchematic.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 143
Yes I have too separate transformers. How do I tell if they are in the same phase. Also, I don't know if it makes any difference but the B+ is a toroidal transformer while the filament transformer is a standard transformer. I did this because the current for the heaters for this amp totals 3 Amps.

In the Headwize schematic the 6as7 filament is connected to ground trough the middle of a variable resistor, nulling the current modulation in the amplifier ground, try doing the same. Otherwise you can leave the filament ground floating and connect it to the amplifier ground with a 0.1uF film capacitor.

now this is really driving me crazy. I had ordered and it arrived yesterday the following kit:

Nobsound 6N5P+6N11 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier Board DIY KIT Single end Class A Amp|Amplifier| - AliExpress

This is roughly the equivalent of the headphone amp that I have been talking about with my issue with hum, unless I use batteries to power the filament.

So i put together the kit and guess what - it works perfectly with zero hum.

While the two amps are very close, there are a few minor differences. So my next step will be to identify the differences and make my home made one exactly the same and see if that fixes the hum.

One additional note, I am using the exact same transformers for the new one as I used for the old one.

Question about Headphone Amp

now this is really driving me crazy. I had ordered and it arrived yesterday the following kit:

Nobsound 6N5P+6N11 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier Board DIY KIT Single end Class A Amp|Amplifier| - AliExpress

This is roughly the equivalent of the headphone amp that I have been talking about with my issue with hum, unless I use batteries to power the filament.

So i put together the kit and guess what - it works perfectly with zero hum.

While the two amps are very close, there are a few minor differences. So my next step will be to identify the differences and make my home made one exactly the same and see if that fixes the hum.

One additional note, I am using the exact same transformers for the new one as I used for the old one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.