Or maybe a TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greets!

At this point I'm not clear as to the details of what you're building, but I'm a big proponent of EBS alignments IF they're tuned low enough to blend with the boundary/room gain to offset the loss of linear excursion power handling to achieve a ~flat in-room response.

GM

This is a crude sketch (I need to download a drawing program) of the layout. I think I should probably include some bracing. The red lines are what I have in mind for bracing. Somewhat randomly placed sections of MDF or 1x boards. Is that the kind of thing that I should do? Should the edges of the boards be radiused for smooth airflow or does it really matter?

mike

Attachments

• tllayout.jpg
    tllayout.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 151
Greets!

True, or you can either reverse taper the line or add a vent at the open end. FWIW, my best results were from reverse tapering the pipe (TQWT) and fine tuning it with a straight vent pipe, allowing <20 Hz tunings in much smaller cabs than a (folded) straight pipe.

Unless the brace boards are really thick and/or a wide BW alignment is desired, it's not an issue since the WLs are so large WRT the pipe's CSA that they're acoustically invisible. FWIW, on large CSA pipe designs I just ran a vertical angle iron down the sides offset horizontally in a golden ratio (1.000:1.618). Note that I used no-void 3/4" marine grade ply, a suitably rigid cab material to ensure mass quantities of bracing wasn't required.

GM

Great. I have a bunch of 1x4 pine boards lying about so I will probably use them for bracing. When you speak of a port at the open end do you mean closing it off partially and leaving an open port? How do you go about calculating that? Would such a thing lower the sensitivity too?

I am planing a trip to Lowes after payday. :) Will need more MDF and some clamps. Can't wait.

mike

Well I still haven't gotten the NDF that I need to build this thing but it might be just as well because I have modified it a bit. Right now I am planning on making it a 2.0 taper line which ends up giving a little bit more space efficient package. I also found a program that lets me do screen captures of the full screen EGA graphs that the simulation program makes so I can post the latest sim results.

I am including a picture of the layout as I planned it using the scraps I now have but I think I will wait and get some 3/4" material so that I can do it right. The pic gives the general idea though.

In the next two posts I will include the design parameters and the simulated response plot at full Xmax at 25Hz (assuming an estimated xmax of 6mm).

Attachments

• tapered.jpg
    tapered.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 122
mashaffer said:
When you speak of a port at the open end do you mean closing it off partially and leaving an open port? How do you go about calculating that? Would such a thing lower the sensitivity too?

Greets!

Hmm, I thought I responded to this. Anyway, yes. You'll need to model it using MJK's or similar Mathcad software. Yes it will, just like when tuning a BR real low.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.