Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

mecedo, if you want small, use the T25B.
I would prefer T34B for Satori MW16P. But with 6.5" Circular WG it looks like a bit awkward. 6" would be perfect :)

Attachments

• Waveguide 6.jpg
    Waveguide 6.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Waveguide 6.5.jpg
    Waveguide 6.5.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 215
When I look into the issue I'll be using the factory faceplate and no waveguide. That way I can judge against the factory measurements what the HBT tailing for the mic calibration should be. I'm also working with Erin on a video he wants to do on waveguides, and his Klippel will give me the data I need.
Excellent, you deserve a wider audience on your work, and we will get I guess new sets of reference measurements ...

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone help me out to alter the 4"waveguide for SB26-ADC to match the size of a SB12MNRX2?
Keeping the original shape of the waveguide of course, but make a round frontplate which has the same size as the SB12MNRX2 driver and same positions of the scrww holes.

I dont have any knowledge about designsoftware :(

1657627900922.png

Attachments

• 4inch SB H.png
    4inch SB H.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 4inch SB W.png
    4inch SB W.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 4x.625 B SB26 v4.stl
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
I have T25B on order, 2-way pairing with Purifi 6.5X04 in a 13L enclosure with 2 PRs. Shifting from a DXT 27T, which is great, I’d like to explore the Bliesma with a WG available on tap. Seems that an oval design might be better suitable for my listening room which is relatively large 4m x 9m x 3.5m high (no carpets, limestone floor, concrete walls and lots of glass windows). Assuming that I’ll run active, which wg size would you recommend? I like a small tweeter visually (5”68) yet it’s secondary to audio quality.

I've started designing two families of speakers, one family based on SB "ceramic" drivers, and the other on Satori Textreme and Bliesma Be drivers. Yesterday I measured the prototype of a 2-way TM speaker to verify diffraction modeling. I just wanted to share some of those measurements, I'm very happy with the results. Waveguide is working properly and the T25B is so smooth on it. Just as important, the woofer hardly shows any diffraction hump, just like the ABEC model but I had my doubts it would actually look so good. Plots are 0-60 degrees horizontal, 7.5ms gate and no smoothing.

ss1.png

Reactions: 5 users
Here are some additional details about the new designs. Waveguided tweeter of course. Simple CLD construction based on my testing in another thread. High performance port that will be available for printing in 3 variants: high performance contour, HP contour with full damping of port resonances, HP contour with some damping of port resonances, but better chuffing/distortion behavior than the full damping version. Both active and passive versions. If there is interest after I publish the TM proofs-of-concept, I'd like to move on to a WTMW center channel, and main speakers of undetermined layout. But constrained vertical directivity will be a goal for the mains, so possibly MTMWW or WMTMW.

Reactions: 7 users
Here are some additional details about the new designs. Waveguided tweeter of course. Simple CLD construction based on my testing in another thread. High performance port that will be available for printing in 3 variants: high performance contour, HP contour with full damping of port resonances, HP contour with some damping of port resonances, but better chuffing/distortion behavior than the full damping version. Both active and passive versions. If there is interest after I publish the TM proofs-of-concept, I'd like to move on to a WTMW center channel, and main speakers of undetermined layout. But constrained vertical directivity will be a goal for the mains, so possibly MTMWW or WMTMW.

Excellent news! Thank you for all the research!

Regarding the speaker family based on SB "ceramic", are these TM? what size/model of woofer?

Also, looking forward to the livestream with Erin!

First one will be TM, using SB17CAC. Once this proof-of-concept is finished, the other variants will created.

Not sure what you mean about a livestream with Erin, no current plans for that. He just had an interest in playing with waveguides, so he's trying mine.

I've read: "I'm also working with Erin on a video he wants to do on waveguides, and his Klippel will give me the data I need", and inmediatly thought about a livestream!

So, he will measure your waveguides or the whole speaker? anyways, I think the data Erin will provide you, will surely help!

Loonking foward to those designs! Speacially the TM (better yet if it can work in a sealed alignment

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I think he just wanted to do a demonstration of a regular tweeter and how a waveguide changes the performance.
This will be most interesting. What's your hypothesis?

I suspect better low end performance allowing reduced distortion at lower XO frequencies eg. 1KHz and better directivity match. At the top octave, the far off-axis (60-90 degrees) will be reduced.

Last edited:
Exactly what I experienced... namely that direct radiating tweeters, seem to sound more "sparkly" but less precise, because they send out more reflective energy in the room, instead of a waveguide, that focus the sound more evenly to the listener.
I really enjoy this waveguide - you did great work with it (y) :D

I was at the RMAF when Geddes premiered his Summa loudspeakers. One of the things that was a bummer was that 50% of the people took one look at the waveguide, thought to themselves "I hate horns" and walked right out. Couldn't even count how many people bailed after less than 15 seconds.

It's a bummer - I made a leap of faith and bought the speakers, but it took me about a week to get accustomed to how waveguides sound different than direct radiators, and even to this day I agonize over what the "ideal" balance is, between direct and reflected energy.

I think he just wanted to do a demonstration of a regular tweeter and how a waveguide changes the performance.

I tend to leave box alignment to whatever people want to use for their preference.
Excellent!
Higher directivity with the waveguide :p:p:p:p
Would it be helpful to send the whole TM speaker to Erin to measure it with the Klippel? With measurements with that resolution it might be helpful to tune and optimize the passive crossover network. Are you located in the US?