Open baffle subs and Maggies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've decided that I'm going to get another pair of Maggies. I sold my last pair of modified MG-I's in search of greener grass. Should have kept them...

Anyways, I've listened to the Emerald Physics CS2's and I was very impressed with the Eminence 15A's that they use. I'm thinking of doing something similar, four 15A's and an SMS-1 to control them.

Any thoughts on that setup before I jump headfirst into it? I haven't seen much talk of OB subs being used with Magnepans before and was curious if there might be a reason behind it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Let's try this again.

Attachments

• raw sub crop.jpg
    raw sub crop.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 508
Just a normal "H" baffle. Dimensions are 34" W * 18" H * 16" D.

The woofers seemed like a good gamble at the time. I was considering the Dayton Reference 12" which were the newest thing going back then, but I spotted these on some clearance sale from Crutchfield that was buy one for $100 and get one free! To make the deal even sweeter, they were offereing free shipping on orders over $299, so I got that too! I ended up with 6, thinking of an IB set-up, but that didn't work out so I whipped up the "H" baffles and haven't looked back since.

They turned out to be really great for an open baffle system. Very quite at high excursions, no air chuffing or misc rubbing/flapping sounds and don't require much EQ thanks to the Qts of .5.

See here for the specs and a larger image.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=049DWF304&tp=111&tab=features_and_specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.