Old Slogans You Remember

Mercedes Benz: "Engineered like no other car in the world".

Check these two ads which were famous in South Africa. Background is that comparative advertising is not legal in our country, so advertisers had to be creative.

1. Chapman’s Peak, de Sonnenberg Murphy Leo Burnett Johannesburg para Mercedes Benz, 1991
2. BMW's resonse
I never saw either of those in the USA, but it reminds me of BMW commercials that said words to the effect of "why not drive a car that helps you AVOID an accident?" Indeed I thought the second ad would have said that.

Speaking of Mercedes Benz, this one of my most favorite all-time commercials. I was reminded of it about a year ago, when Tesla Motors open-sourced all its patents. It took me some looking to find it, I kept looking for patent in the title and couldn't find it that way, but was happy when I finally did.

It's 30 seconds ending with this statement:

"There are some things in life that are too important not to share."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaloSpi1Fpg

"Honda. We make it simple."

I was born in 75 and my mom had a 78-79 civic. Lots of memories because that damn POS didn't die until about 88 with over 200K on it! Both my older sister and I learned how to drive a manual transmission in it...oh the abuse!
In 2007 I bought a 2003 manual Accord with 53k miles. Today it's got 255k miles, drinks about a quart of oil every thousand miles (doesn't leak, doesn't appear to come out of the tailpipe...), and it's got the original clutch (at least the same one it had at 53k, which I presume is original). I've been thinking I should get a newer car for well over 50k miles.

I'll get an automatic (well, maybe I'll get a manual if I get a steal on it), having a manual was a throwback to earlier times (1973 beetle, 1983 Accord), and I hear how automatics are hugely better now than decades ago (many speeds, and now MORE efficient than manual).

There's this famous Honda commercial, a two-minute long Rube Goldberg type thing (if you've seen it you surely remember it by now). Oddly, it seems the slogan wasn't nearly as memorable as the commercial itself:

"Isn't it nice when things just work?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ve4M4UsJQo

Last edited:
fVUKV6i.gif