Odd shape tweeter ? like teardrops?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently bought a router to make speakers with.
Circles are no problem, gleeefully made flush mount
cuts yesterday. BUT.. I need to figure out how to do the same for
these peerless tweeters ?http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=279-275&Did=7

I was thinking to make the shape out of a piece of scrape and
maybe use it for a form? alotment for the step?
Is this how to make odd shapes?

Thanks GUYs !

Nancy

Hi,

My brother is the carpenter in our family, and the method he uses, is make a template of the 'negative' of the shape desired (perhaps trace around the tweeter) to use as a guide. Then he simply selects the correct router bit and depth, and traces it out. Even I can do it using this method now. Takes a bit longer but gives excellent results.

HTH
Cheers

For stuff like that, I usually make a template and use a router bit with a bearing on top (or bottom...your choice).
Making the template is a nuisance, but once you've got a good, clean one you're good to go. When I make a template, I generally use something about 1/4-1/2" in thickness. Usually wood--something like particle board or MDF is excellent because it has no grain or voids to make life difficult--but sometimes I use Plexiglas/Lucite/Lexan if the mood strikes me and I think I'll need to see through to the surface underneath. Scribe the surface. Rough cut with a saw. Fine tune with a rasp or file, or, if you have steady hands and a good eye, use the router. The advantage is that you can trash the template without a care. Go ahead and set yourself that you're going to make two or three. That way you can be pleasantly smug if the first one turns out perfect.

Grey

Yes, the router is a beast , I think I could drive it around the neighborhood! Kinda funny, being that I was concerned with power 1.5 h. jeez...it is so powerful.

HOLD ON..
I am 5'2 and 120lbs HOLD ME DOWN TOO!
Maybe i'll get one of those trimmer routers, or see if the dremel
will pull it off.

Thanks you guys!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
NancyJeanz said:
I was thinking to make the shape out of a piece of scrape and
maybe use it for a form? alotment for the step?
Is this how to make odd shapes?

My buddy who does most of my cabs (he has access to a full cabinet making shop) would build a routing guide/template. Whenever i've had to do one, i bring out a little rockwell router (i have had for some 25 yrs) and freehand it -- actually i freehand circular rebates too. With some practise you can do a pretty good job.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.