Odd shape tweeter ? like teardrops?

NancyJeanz

2002-02-12 3:42 pm
Hello,

I recently bought a router to make speakers with.
Circles are no problem, gleeefully made flush mount
cuts yesterday. BUT.. I need to figure out how to do the same for
these peerless tweeters ?http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=279-275&Did=7

I was thinking to make the shape out of a piece of scrape and
maybe use it for a form? alotment for the step?
Is this how to make odd shapes?

Thanks GUYs !

Nancy

Brett

2002-01-07 6:02 pm
Hi,

My brother is the carpenter in our family, and the method he uses, is make a template of the 'negative' of the shape desired (perhaps trace around the tweeter) to use as a guide. Then he simply selects the correct router bit and depth, and traces it out. Even I can do it using this method now. Takes a bit longer but gives excellent results.

HTH
Cheers

For stuff like that, I usually make a template and use a router bit with a bearing on top (or bottom...your choice).
Making the template is a nuisance, but once you've got a good, clean one you're good to go. When I make a template, I generally use something about 1/4-1/2" in thickness. Usually wood--something like particle board or MDF is excellent because it has no grain or voids to make life difficult--but sometimes I use Plexiglas/Lucite/Lexan if the mood strikes me and I think I'll need to see through to the surface underneath. Scribe the surface. Rough cut with a saw. Fine tune with a rasp or file, or, if you have steady hands and a good eye, use the router. The advantage is that you can trash the template without a care. Go ahead and set yourself that you're going to make two or three. That way you can be pleasantly smug if the first one turns out perfect.

Grey

NancyJeanz

2002-02-12 3:42 pm
Yes, the router is a beast , I think I could drive it around the neighborhood! Kinda funny, being that I was concerned with power 1.5 h. jeez...it is so powerful.

HOLD ON..
I am 5'2 and 120lbs HOLD ME DOWN TOO!
Maybe i'll get one of those trimmer routers, or see if the dremel
will pull it off.

Thanks you guys!

NancyJeanz said:
I was thinking to make the shape out of a piece of scrape and
maybe use it for a form? alotment for the step?
Is this how to make odd shapes?

My buddy who does most of my cabs (he has access to a full cabinet making shop) would build a routing guide/template. Whenever i've had to do one, i bring out a little rockwell router (i have had for some 25 yrs) and freehand it -- actually i freehand circular rebates too. With some practise you can do a pretty good job.

dave