NTE Metal Film Resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Go for it. I've used generic metal films before and they work fine.

If you can, I would say to go get the metal film variety pack from Radioshack. It has most common values and they're all 1% tolerence. When I last checked, most of the NTE resistors were 2-5% tolerence, and more expensive. However, if you need resistors with more than 1/4 watt power handling, you'll have to go for rat-shack's carbon-film or metal oxide resistors instead.

Alain Dupont said:
Sherman,

...have used a few in amplifier and power supply's in my Class A amp and they are of good quality...

Give it a try, and keep us informed, look to the noise floor.

Regards.

Alain.

Thanks for the feedback! I sort of inventoried my stash of left over stuff and discovered I have almost all the bits and pieces to do a stereo, SE EL84 amp except for the PTX (which I ordered today from Angela).

I need to replenish my resistors and I came across the NTE 1/2W 1% metal films at a great price. Sure beats $3-$4 each for Rikens! I thought if they sounded decent I might be able to spend under $100 including the PTX and have a nice second system amp.

I'll give the NTE resistors a try and I'll keep an eye on the noise. Now if I could just find coupling caps for that kind of price!:D

motherone said:
Go for it. I've used generic metal films before and they work fine.

...if you need resistors with more than 1/4 watt power handling, you'll have to go for rat-shack's carbon-film or metal oxide resistors instead.

I'll need 1/2W for everything except the input plate resistors and the cathode resistors. I'll check Radio Shack but since the NTEs were metal film I thought they might be a bit better than the metal oxides.

Alain Dupont said:
Sherman,

For very good coupling caps search for North Creek Music
They have 2 series...

Regards.

Alain.

Alain,

I checked North Creek Music and found the caps. One was more expensive than the Auricaps I was thinking of using the other was a bit less.

I'll probably stick with Auricaps but I'll definitely be looking more closely at North Creek's speaker systems and kits! Thanks for mentioning that site.

Sherman said:

Alain,

I checked North Creek Music and found the caps. One was more expensive than the Auricaps I was thinking of using the other was a bit less.

I'll probably stick with Auricaps but I'll definitely be looking more closely at North Creek's speaker systems and kits! Thanks for mentioning that site.

I've been using Daytons for my cheap caps. They have polypropylene and foil caps that are dirt cheap and in perfect values for tube amps. I upgraded all the metallized polyester caps to polypropylene and foil in one of my tube amps for ~$10, not including shipping. You can get them at partsexpress... Take a look at their Dayton Film and Foil bypass caps.

Also, as far as the resistors go, a lot of folks swear by carbon films in tube amps... I think if you're just playing around with new designs, there shouldn't be any problems with using them.

@ moutherone - I have used dayton precision polypropylene caps and they are miserable. They are flat sounding with no depth and generally muted. I have used Dayton film foil to bypass old electrolytics in a Jensen Four. I only did one speaker while I was re-foaming the driver surrounds for my dad. Weeks and years later I cannot tell which speaker I did it to when listening so I do not bother to bypass the other speaker with dayton film foils . . .these are Bennic junk . . . .@ Sherman -How did the NTE resistors work out ? ? ? I was thinking of trying NTE metal oxide film 2 watt in a isolated resistor array for an electronics crossover (requires just 1/4 carbon film or metal film says the manuf. )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.