Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Roland Kirk's "The Inflated Tear", from a recent Atlantic repressing - jazz for all ages.

Great song by a personal hero of mine. I was lucky enough to see him live a few dozen times before that tragic stroke.

In a totally different genre, we saw Mark Erelli, Randy Sabien, and Peter Mulvey last night doing a terrific acoustic set. We were literally a meter away from Erelli, even got splattered with some spit from his harmonica.

Attachments

• erelli mulvey.jpg
    erelli mulvey.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 97
I'm listening to my selected Allan Taylor songs:

A Promise and a Porsche
Colour to the Moon
Dedicated to ...
Firefly
Joseph
Kerouac's Dream
Lay Soft On Your Pillow
Leaving At Dawn
Midnight Call
Restless
Running On Dreams
Sailing To Philadelphia
The Beat Hotel
The Traveller
Win or Loose
Winter

Among them there is an odd one. :)

Allan Taylor and Stockfisch Records are revelation for me lately.

Hamiet Bluiett - Walkin' & Talkin' on the German label Tutu. It's a solo live performance by Mr. B on baritone and flute.

Bluiett was a member of the St-Louis-based Black Artists group, and a founding member of the World Saxophone Quartet, among many projects (he worked with Mingus in his early years in NYC). He was greatly inspired by fabulous Duke Ellington sideman Harry Carney, who blew his mind in a show he saw as a youngster.
Last I heard, Bluiett was laying low in his home town of Brooklyn/Lovejoy Illinois. His music is well worth seeking out.

Last edited:
Next up (chicken still cooking) Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (Kunzel/Cincinnati Symphony) on Telarc. Since it's Telarc, there's lots of pyrotechnics. Nice, but I like the warmer rendition (Pennario on piano w/Hollywood Bowl Orchestra) on Seraphim. I liked that one sufficiently that I just got another minty 12" of the performance to supplement the one I've had since 1974.