'nother replacement project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got some 2.2 cubic foot sealed boxes that need new woofers.
The Alpine SWR-1522D or SWR-1542D would fit exactly in the old cutouts and recesses and the TS parameters look very good. I want to run them in the 110Hz to 35Hz band. The question is are these any good for serious music? No THD specs are given and I can find no serious reviews. Other drivers would be OK but these are already pushing my budget at $200 street price 'cause I need 4 of them.

thanks

…The question is are these any good for serious music?…

Hi, I never heard the drivers but they should be able to produce a lot of noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txpU4pCoGUw

… I want to run them in the 110Hz to 35Hz band …

A closed box of 50.3 L (Qtc = 0.707) yields a flat FR down to 38 Hz. Here is a simulation with the SWR-1522D that with a mild LT can reach 35 Hz or lower.

b

1(2)

Attachments

• alpine-swr-1522d.gif
    alpine-swr-1522d.gif
    45.6 KB · Views: 94
bjorno said:

Hi, I never heard the drivers but they should be able to produce a lot of noise:

Thanks (I think LOL). But noise is not what I want. They wont be driven anywhere near their limits. In general I've found that's the best way to keep THD low in speakers assuming they are any good in the first place.

Edit:

I've attached an image of how these woofers are used.

Attachments

• bass control.jpg
    bass control.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 84
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.