noname loudspeaker – a polite request for help in identifying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have a polite request for help in identifying loudspeakers that I bought "for a penny" :). I bought them without the ability to check/look inside, mainly due to the rubber speaker suspension and optically good condition of the enclosures. Maybe someone had something "like this" once in his hands and knows what it is ?
Going to the point:
- woofer: 16cm in diameter, magnet 9cm in diameter and 1.8cm high, rubber suspension (with inscription SR161/2), holes in the basket sealed with factory fabric, dc resistance approx. 3.6ohm, poorly visible designation CKS 7x87-378 U3 on the magnet foot (not all signs readable), the speakers were originally mounted using a black tar-like sealing agent:

- branching filter: designation 001160 30A6, Frako ETF 7,5uF and 15uF capacitors, 9217-037 small coil and a second one in the back, wound using a trafo core and epoxy-impregnated (with partially illegible designation xxx201), resistor 8,2ohm:

- tweeter: absent, only 12x12 cm hole with 10x10cm mount remained;
- housing: 40x22x20cm, made solidly, speaker fastenings made using M4 threaded rosettes pressed from underneath into the front panel:

- connections: admittedly with the proud name "Magnat" but according to me non-original, quite crap (especially on the side of soldering - or rather its absence - see how "expertly" you can connect the wires), their holes in the housing seem not to be factory-cut:

- no company sign, no other indications.
I have tried but unfortunately nowhere did I find any information about CKS speakers. I am thinking about restoring these loudspeakers, which is why I are looking for some basic information.
Best regards,
Pawel

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
CKS is Indian. Could have been the driver OEM. Magnat could be valid because you wouldn't easily meet Frako capacitors in a crossover if it wasn't a German make. Or a knock off assembled somewhere in Europe is also possible.

Actually, none of them look like mine... I think someone has just transplanted the "Magnat" connection boxes to some unknown-make loudspeakers - it is highly probable because the openings for those connection boxes are hand-made (they are crooked) and are not painted on the cuts.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nonetheless it also has some clues that do not point to non organized production. The precise baffle routing for the pincushion woofer frame, the double veneered side panels, the code numbering of crossover parts, the EI framed coil, the retaining glue under big parts for their joints to survive shipping, the green solder mask crossover PCB.

Hmm... Another scenario could be it originally had spring loaded push terminals on a small frame, usual in old Hi-Fi, and someone hacked the back panel at a later era to fit the bi-wiring frame terminal. Hence the sloppy cut and bad solder work there.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Indeed. The red wire on the positives might be a jumper too. The pic doesn't allow to discern. Maybe he "debiwired" it after finding no other simpler terminal with Magnat on it. Because if modding the terminal to accept thicker cable for a classic Hi-Fi era crossover, it would not readily accept four wire inputs anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.