Noisy USB ports

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Update: today I received the SMSL SU-8. So not my cabling is PC USB out to USB in of the DAC, then XLR out from DAC to Subwoofer, then XLR from sub to monitors. Result is the ground loop is GONE. I can now enjoy blissful liquid SILENCE!

Now that the horrible hash noise is gone, I can really start to appreciate the JBL monitors and sub. Boy these things are revealing. They don't add or take away from the music - just a nice clean delivery of the music as it was put down. You can tell right away if it was a good or bad recording.

The SMSL DAC no doubt contributes to this. It's VERY analytical, though it could use a tad more warmth. I suppose it's also a function of the digital format, the class D amps onboard the speakers, as well as the DAC.

I also got a FX Audio Tube 03 in today, and a linear power supply and Vokshod tubes are on their way in. So it'll be interesting to see how the two compare - active JBL monitors via the PC and SMSL SU-8 DAC vs Thorens TD166 with Audiolab 8000P preamp and FX Audio Tube 03.

USB has GND,+,-,Power supply.
For PC power supply noise,
I have made cable to split signal and power supply.
Because my DAC(D70) dose not notice without power supply(Some does).
DC5V connected with battery.
It improved sound a lot.
Some people spend a lot of money for USB cable.
6moons audio reviews: Acoustic Revive USB cables

Attachments

• USB CABLE.jpg
    USB CABLE.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 131
video1: my 2 cents the noise is gone because you are using proper XLR - XLR connection, without the ground currents getting mixed with the signal currents.

I wonder if you tried your previous cable + 6.3->3.5 adapter into the 6.3 headphone output, if the noise remained. Please can you check it as it could help others. Thanks.

What are my options here? I want to use my newly built Gainclone with my desktop computer, but right now the interference is unbearable.

I'm in the same boat and have been for a while but I worked around it by adjusting MiniDSP input output gain and amp gains. However, I just switched to a set up with compression drivers and I had to put an L-pad on them to subdue it due to their sensitivity.

Using a laptop is fine as you have experienced. Have you found any solutions?

I have tried:

1. ADUM4160 board on my Minidsp - no dice.
2. ADUM4160 board on my Asus Xonar U5 - soundcard isn't recognised - no dice
3. ADUM4160 board on my Asus Xonar U5 with external power supply - same as above - no dice
4. DC-DC 2w Isolator spliced in to power USB cable power line between USB port and Asus Xonar U5 USB power lines - sound card recognised and functions but with same noise - no dice

I don't know whether or not to try one of these next, it's £50 but if it doesn't work I can return it to Amazon, I suppose.
iFi iDefender+ External USB Audio Ground Loop: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I REALLY WANT SOME DICE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.