• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

noDAC DHT output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You're welcome.

@ abraxalito
Done the filter yesterday and enjoyed all the evening & night listening music, a big thanks again.

About step up transformers I guess I need 1:1.27 my calculations:

0.56Vrms = 1.58Vpp
0.71Vrms = 2Vpp

So I need to increase 0.15Vrms to reach the 2Vpp, it's OK.

Also I need an OPT with primary impedance of 50 Ohm & a secondary of 63.5 Ohm

Are my calculations OK?

You're welcome.

@ abraxalito
Done the filter yesterday and enjoyed all the evening & night listening music, a big thanks again.

About step up transformers I guess I need 1:1.27 my calculations:

0.56Vrms = 1.58Vpp
0.71Vrms = 2Vpp

So I need to increase 0.15Vrms to reach the 2Vpp, it's OK.

Also I need an OPT with primary impedance of 50 Ohm & a secondary of 63.5 Ohm

Are my calculations OK?

Are you sure you want 2vpp? Most digital signal sources are 2v RMS.

I would just go with a plain old 1:2 step up transformer. That would give you 1v rms out.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The impedance ratio is the square of the transformer's winding ratio . Most ready made transformers for audio are 600 ohms . What you need is 600:10k . See on Aliexpress .

Yes I forgot thanks, I need a primary impedance of 50 ohms because is the output impedance of Amanero and the input/output impedance of the 4th order low pass filter so I need a custom made OPT 50:833 ohms 1:16 ratio?

What have I to look for: Line input transformer or Step-up MC transformer?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
@ abraxalito
I want to use the 1:1 OPT for a gain of 6dB (attached pic), could still use your filter without modification?

Attachments

• 1=1 tx doubler 6dBs.png
    1=1 tx doubler 6dBs.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 50 ohm characteristic impedance 4th order low pass filter con tx 1=1 600 ohms.png
    50 ohm characteristic impedance 4th order low pass filter con tx 1=1 600 ohms.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 208
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Still looking for DHT analog stage advice, after looking for I saw 3A5 that Ale Moglia praised for "small signal amplification"

3A5-THD-Vo2.83Vpp-2.png

"A very nice result I think. THD of 0.03% is outstanding for small signal indeed. Look at how close H3 is to H2, interesting to see that."

Ale Moglia schematic:

3A5-parallel-triode-DHT-preamp.png

Now I'm using 5687 triode SE with hybrid mu-follower from Ale Moglia and it have more gain than the phono preamp MM Valve Itch, so a little less gain than 5687 fit perfect the gain.

Can you suggest other possibilities?

I have started down the same path as you @merlin el mago

3a5 output stage advice

I have been testing out various supplies - and have been listening for a bit trying to decide whether to continue or go down a different route. 3a5 are certainly microphonic, and I think a regulated B+ and coleman type heaters will be needed. I hope to get looking at it again this week.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

merlin....I give you one cheap solution. You can have 3a5 in parafeed config-resistor loaded 3a5 output via 10k:600ohms line transformer. Gain should be 3x. Coupling cap should be 4.7uf. For filament you can use 317 voltage regulator followed by 317 CCS for 220ma. I use it (with 15k:600 for about 2.5x gain) as my preamp with wonderful sound.

Regards

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Merlin, Others,

I'm trying to learn about the no DAC solution and have seen some threads here. My current DAC, ADI-2 Pro, also outputs a DSD direct stream that I believe bypasses the DAC. However, I want to explore other solutions. I am trying to understand how other solutions work. Looking at post 9, it seems an Amanero USB transport can be used with the filter shown to get the output. Am I understanding that correctly? Is anything else needed?

Thanks for the help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.