no moving coil no fixed magnet and no cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am not taking a DUMP on your topic, just could not stand the way you talk to people. I asked normal information since i am curious. i can imagine it is annoying if people dont get your idea, but on school they tend to make it visual this helps allot. (yeah here is the line you could abuse to say something about intellect)

But you do it again.....as i said if you need a video or a picture of a thing working past a diagram and intelect
then there is no post needed here...

Count the posts of people getting your idea , now count the posts that might be fond of a picture or a video for that mater. ...

And you said yourself you will post a video. witch is nice , since i am curious about what your idea is(no sarcasm there) so i hope you got it soon. and maybe i understand the workings and i might be useful in your topic. i got a few materials and tools :)

and i am rather chilled out :)

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
simeon w, it's obvious no one here is going to build what you have suggested as no one can undertand the design. You must do a first prototype yourself and document it with basic description like electrical and mechanical simple schema, photos/video and preferably measurements.

I think we all would like to see a new concept for generating sound so don't give up. Make one and show it - we are waiting eagerly.

//

It looks like a variant of moving iron speaker, which was a very old fashioned design replaced by moving coil decades ago. The hemisphere's vibration is driven by the varying magnetic force drawing the iron slug.

If the above understanding is correct, and assuming it actually works efficiently, then I can imagine an advantage and a drawback.

Advantage is that the large base of hemisphere drives the tapering upper part of it. This rigid dome-like structure could be superior to a moving coil and cone, where the coil itself is of a small diameter but has to drive a much bigger cone. The hemisphere's rigidity and the large area driving base could be good for reducing distortion.

Drawback is the mass. I wonder how treble would sound on such a thing.

Last edited:
Advantage is that the large base of hemisphere drives the tapering upper part of it. This rigid dome-like structure could be superior to a moving coil and cone, where the coil itself is of a small diameter but has to drive a much bigger cone. The hemisphere's rigidity and the large area driving base could be good for reducing distortion.

Drawback is the mass. I wonder how treble would sound on such a thing.
OK... here we have someone taking the OP seriously and providing some valuable analysis. But like the rest of us, not sure if OP's concept makes any sense.

Just to be personal, in the sub forum, I'm always ranting about the stupid Rice-Kellogg driver design: making sound by shaking heavy cardboard and trafficking in resonances. Only three fixes: make the moving mass as light as air (ESL approach), use an impedance transformer (a true horn), or motional feedback.

A light but structurally strong ping-pong ball driver instead of the half-pound (no kidding) car-audio cones? A magnetic suspension instead of rubber surround and starched fabric? Force applied at circumference instead of the apex of a cone? Powered inductively instead of a long, overhanging voice coil?

Elements inspiring re-design thinking?

Ben

Last edited:
in fact you say dome tweeter but larger :) , problem with high frequencies in a large dome is not only weight, but also the highs emit from where the coil is attached, this will result in phasing issues if the coil diameter is large. its hard to get a cone to move in a piston behavior so high.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.