• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New, unused AD1862N and AD1865N-J DAC chips

EU Special Delivery is on the way for those who caught me at the right time :)

Attachments

• 20220723_092831.jpg
    20220723_092831.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 136
Maybe it's you :cool: ? It's a little time consuming but not hard. You get to meet all sorts of interesting people and make their ears happy. There's no real money to be made, but no money lost either - the postage costs that people here pay covers packing materials and also leaves a little to be able to insure all packages regardless of destination. As a bonus you always have chips available when you want to build another DAC.

The only down side is that the chip source person has to ante up for at least 14 chips at Digikey, about $320 in the US. But as I've said elsewhere, it's not like anyone's going to get stuck holding new AD1862s that came from a known-good supplier.

In the mean while, I have 12 pairs still available. If someone would like to become the new Dread Pirate Roberts we can make a deal on 6-8 pairs and you can try things out.

Hello.
I was basically interested in anything you might still have available along the lines of the Miro AD1862 DAC - Main Board, PSU Board, any AD1862N pairs you might have as this might be my next project. I have a US mailing address (APO). I guess I have been inactive for a while so they turned off my PM. Chuck

Once I'm really out of stock, I'm sure that someone will pick up the torch. It's an ancient and honorable tradition (but not a moneymaker...).

Here now is my knowledge, distilled from 150+ shipments, that will let you become the next Trusted Global Provider of AD1862 amateur audio goodness! A lot is specific to the USA but most should apply worldwide.

Rochester is the only authorized supplier of these things. It's not too hard to set up an account with them if you have a business but they have very specific agreements with the OEM about usage and my orders usually required some documentation of what products they were going into. Fortunately @diyiggy pointed out that Digikey carries them in their marketplace: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/rochester-electronics-llc/AD1862N/12107023 . Price is a little higher and there's no quantity discount, but it's cash and carry.

Minimum at Rochester is 11 chips, 14 at Digikey. That's a lot of money to put out, but a group buy can make sure that you have buyers lined up before ordering. I don't like to collect on group buys until the parts are in hand, so I always paid up front. It turns out that there is little risk of getting stuck with factory-fresh AD1862s anyway. AD1865 and PCM56P-J took longer to move, so I wouldn't recommend stocking them without having buyers ready.

Once you have chips, you have to pack them. I cut the antistatic sleeves they come in down to about 2 in/60mm length, tape one end, and use some of the supplied antistatic foam to keep the chips from rattling. There's no need to touch the chips at all - slide a pair from one sleeve into another. The low-tack blue painter's tape isn't essential but I like to think it generates less static than packing tape if someone peels it off.

cutsleeve.jpeg antistaticfoam.jpeg nohumantouch.jpeg readytomail.jpeg

It's hard to see, but I tape the sleeve and/or any boards to the front side of the envelope. This way, if the envelope gets torn open there's a chance that the chips will stay with the address label. It's a long shot but I got a package of op amps back this way so it's at least helped once. I completely tape the outside of all envelopes going international, to protect from both postal sorting machines and sticky fingers.

tapethemdown.jpeg

Per US postal requirements, the thickness of the sleeve means that chips can't be sent as a first-class letter (over 1/4" / 6mm in thickness variation), and I'm pretty sure the sorting machines would demolish such a letter anyway. Plus, there's no tracking or insurance with first class. Inside the US I use Priority Mail, which costs about $10 but comes with tracking. Outside the US, first-class package service costs between $17-$20 globally and is trackable in the US and sometimes through the destination postal service as well.

Chips can be sent within Europe in just a padded envelope, at varying cost depending on whether tracking and insurance are desired.

So Paddy, you say, how come this isn't a moneymaker? There's at almost a $1 markup on the chips and > $4 on the postage! That's true, but paypal and others eat $ in fees, the packing materials aren't free, and most important: not all international destinations are insured by the post office, so this allows for self-insurance. You can decide what to do when you build up enough reserve. I like to build boards so made a couple DACs and put them to auction for diyaudio's charity.

The easy way to do international shipments from the US is to sign up for the USPS Click and Ship service online. The online form is used for both postage and customs, all you need to do is print and attach the label and drop the letter off at a mailbox or post office.

A note about exports: The AD1862 is subject to export controls, although not heavily. It has the generic classification of EAR99, which doesn't require any kind of export license as long as it doesn't go to a prohibited country or person, or for a prohibited use. A nice writeup can be found here: https://www.shippingsolutions.com/blog/ear99-isnt-a-free-pass-for-export-compliance
Solution: Obviously, don't send to an embargoed country. Selling 2 chips is unlikely to be for a prohibited use, but you do need to know who you're selling to. I always require that the person buying is the person who pays, and that the payment goes through a US or US-adjacent service that I know will screen the transaction against the OFAC list and others. Accurately describe the shipment (merchandise, description electronic components and specifically as AD1862 audio chips) in the customs form.

Potential problems with the whole thing? Loss or damage in shipping happens. Several shipments were undelivered but eventually returned to me, but the post office doesn't refund the postage. Don't mail anything between about 15 November and 15 January, when the post office is overloaded and losses rise. I haven't seen a bad chip in 350+ handled but that could happen and I'm not sure how it would be handled by Rochester or Digikey.

So why become the next Dread Pirate Roberts of DACs if it's not a moneymaker and things could go wrong?

The answer is very simple: you get to make the nice people here at diyaudio happy. I've even met a few in person. It's a great crowd!

dothejobheleftbehind.png

Reactions: 1 users
OK, I'll take it for a while. I just ordered 11 AD1862N from Rochester. Should have them in a couple days. I paid about $25 each and will sell them for the same $25 plus shipping to your location. Just send me a PM and I'll get them on their way.

Cheers.
Bill Hirsch
Hello, i cannot yet send PMs, do you still have them available? I'm interested maybe depending on the cost of Europe Shipping.

Please PM me, thanks.