New Tracer is coming

In principle, that's surely possible. In realitity, it would be most helpful if the protocol for communication with the iTracer hardware was fully documentented. Is it?
The Arduino is used for I2C communication with DAC/ADC and switching the relays.
Modern PCs lack I2C Interface. One reason why Elektor uses a Raspi for their CT. See above I linked the project.
There are ready made libraries for those communication. The author of the Elektor project used a different approach and is bit-banging the ADC/DAC Communication as well as relay switching which works amazingly reliable. If you read the original Elektor article you’ll find a post from me where I have implemented the protocol in Python for one single Remote Supply board. I also have modified the —open source— CPP program and QT source code for a bigger screen and different GUI elements. The Charme of open source! I published the whole project here in diyAudio.

Links:
https://www.elektormagazine.com/lab...emiconductor-curve-tracer#/comments/labs/1527
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/is-there-interest-in-a-new-tubetester.384309/post-6987173
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/is-there-interest-in-a-new-tubetester.384309/post-6988021

The Gerbers (and KiCad) are freely available from me by PM. The board design is by Rainer Schuster with some modifications by me and others. Several software revisions are in the original Elektor article (incl. my Python source code for ADC/DAC communication).

Last edited:
Also, for people following this thread, I have found something interesting and helpful, another decent project, as I've introduced on another post, and I am putting it here again for reference. It's the tracer design by Dr. Borgmann, the following contents briefly introduce this outstanding design.

Check it out here:
http://diy.ucborgmann.de/index.php/en/audio-messtechnik-2/characteristic-curve-recorder

Specs in brief:
Vg: +-12V
Ig: +-120mA
Vd: +-20V
Id: +-2A

Simply speaking, the tracer has the ability up to 20V/2A, with up to 16Bit ADC used.
This spec is great enough for amateur DIYers, satisfying most measurements of audio transistors, although probably not fully enough for output-stage power transistors.

Mechanism of Working Diagram:

1672145525388.png

Amazingly, the DAC could be upgrade from 12bits to 16bits! (With LTC1655 module, and independent Vref=2.5V)

1672145638486.png

The available sources are below, including schematic, GERBER, BOM, MCU FW and Windows software.

1672145431970.png

Assembled tracer looks like this:
1672145496957.png

NOTICE:
I noticed there are fly-wires of the PCB, I am not sure if it is corrected in the GERBER file, so make decision and take the risk by self.
I am not responsible if resources available from the Website which may or may not be correct, accurate and complete.
Any replication and usage of the resources from the Website is at your own risk, as also state above.
All credits belong to the website's author.
Thanks for sharing your find!

I regret to introduced this tracer and made it commercially available. I have decided to stopped all the selling solutions.
Even the schematics are uploaded for more than once, still there are people asking: where is it?

I have spent much time discussing, convincing, and negotiating with the author to make the tracer as more "ideal" as possible, like the price, the later-opened schematics (initially it's not intended to be released as author's will); also the manual is almost re-written as the original one is basically illustrating nothing, which lots of time spent on.

Even I have explained the role I played in this project and the results after discussion with the author, people still ask for opening the software, the hardware, some even ask for GERBER files by a ridiculously bossy manner (Like, Hey! I am the customer!).

Even it is clear that only assembled PCB or fully-assembled devices are available, still there are people asks for empty PCBs, and even want me to produce the PCBs with the price HAS to be comparable with his previous order from specified manufacturer. (WHAT?!)

Will anybody be happy to cope with these rude, bossy, egocentric mails and customers? NO is my answer.

I am tired of explaining although I want to open as well, it is not my call to do so.
I am tired of explaining although it is commercial, but my original idea is not making profits;
the truth is, only one unit was sold for the past whole year, as profits are not the priority, I am happy and have no problem at all.

It's disappointing that the community is like so, and it's time that I have decided to go back with tracers I have like iTracer and Lockyz's, which are running well and satisfying my need, that's enough for me. I have no more passion to introduce or organize tracer projects/ideas, let it be.

Dr. Borgmann's project of tracer is very interesting and attractive, this is the last suggest I want to provide to the newly-coming people.

Reactions: 1 user
I regret to introduced this tracer and made it commercially available. I have decided to stopped all the selling solutions.
Even the schematics are uploaded for more than once, still there are people asking: where is it?

I have spent much time discussing, convincing, and negotiating with the author to make the tracer as more "ideal" as possible, like the price, the later-opened schematics (initially it's not intended to be released as author's will); also the manual is almost re-written as the original one is basically illustrating nothing, which lots of time spent on.

Even I have explained the role I played in this project and the results after discussion with the author, people still ask for opening the software, the hardware, some even ask for GERBER files by a ridiculously bossy manner (Like, Hey! I am the customer!).

Even it is clear that only assembled PCB or fully-assembled devices are available, still there are people asks for empty PCBs, and even want me to produce the PCBs with the price HAS to be comparable with his previous order from specified manufacturer. (WHAT?!)

Will anybody be happy to cope with these rude, bossy, egocentric mails and customers? NO is my answer.

I am tired of explaining although I want to open as well, it is not my call to do so.
I am tired of explaining although it is commercial, but my original idea is not making profits;
the truth is, only one unit was sold for the past whole year, as profits are not the priority, I am happy and have no problem at all.

It's disappointing that the community is like so, and it's time that I have decided to go back with tracers I have like iTracer and Lockyz's, which are running well and satisfying my need, that's enough for me. I have no more passion to introduce or organize tracer projects/ideas, let it be.

Dr. Borgmann's project of tracer is very interesting and attractive, this is the last suggest I want to provide to the newly-coming people.
This is exactly the case why I don’t invest anytime anymore in supporting close source projects! Good luck with that when the main developer/contact just disappears from the scene for whatever reason.

The OP iTracer design looks amazingly similar to the Dr. Borgmanns design (which btw. looks really promising) to some extent. Even the software looks a bit similar, incl. the automatic matching feature by a calculated error. I wonder if there’s any more to that, like a Chinese ‚re-engineered‘ project trying to monetize somebody else’s development…

I am going to re-build ‚Dr. Borgmanns’ design…

Last edited:
This is exactly the case why I don’t invest anytime anymore in supporting close source projects! Good luck with that when the main developer/contact just disappears from the scene for whatever reason.
Couldn't agree more!
Another philanthropist.
Huh? Why would "open source" imply philantropy?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get it. Why do you want to provide the design of Dr. Borgman to us? What is your affiliation with Dr. Borgman?
Why?
Um, maybe the passion for sharing with the community?
I used to introduce YOUR design PyPSUcurvetracer as ell, why do I wan to provide? What is our affiliation?

I used to shared my efforts on improving Locky_Z's tracer program, providing another choice from users. Is this beneficial for me to enhance Locky_Z's design?

I never doubt your contribution and the open design, your kindness, the greatness of the design.
But that doesn't means you can degrade other people's sharing because of pure and simple reason. It is a pity that you are this kind of person, even though you've greatly contributed.

Of course you don't get it, because you never understand I was simply sharing things helpful to the community. You think I just want to make money, taking advantage of people's efforts.

I have no relation or any affiliation with any other curve tracer designer, including Dr. Borgmann (Borgman"n", please.) and Locky_Z;
but I am still happy to introduce and share their designs' information.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the one who are implying, accusing plagiarism and monetization:
Formally speaking, both the hardware and software design of the iTracer have anything to do with any other design; actually iTracer uses proprietary algorithm to calculates, estimate the error between transistor pairs; for instance, the THD simulation, is only available on iTracer.

It is very pathetic to accuse other people who just want to make the community better. You have the obligation to show the evidence before making such a serous accusation, not just using the terms like "looks similar", "I wonder". Do understand this is a very serious accusation, what you have said is pathetic, mean, and pathological.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not very willing to respond to such ridiculous attacks, I wonder what happened to the DIYaudio?
Maybe someone's interests are affected?
For DIYA members who still have conscience, please say something supportive here; it is pathetic that I have to respond to all these disgusting words.

1672516247885.png
1672516352273.png

Reactions: 3 users