New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi havoc8
i dont know how the sub plate amp works but i do know that it doesnt switch of the internal amp,it works pretty much like the phono in only it obviously tolorates a much bigger signal,:confused:,alot of car amps have this feature also for head units that dont have phonos out.

datawolf,i thought you already had some mundorfs,2.2uf is a scarey price for silver in oil,but if you like the cap sound and gonna keep the amps then why not,would love to hear your findings:D
smithie

i love ampohm caps(dont even think about it,a 2.2uf its MASSIVE with a capatol m...there like gernades:D),its just the space between instruments and the soundstage and the fuller mid bass they produce,thats only my view and using in valve amps mind you,and ill freely admit that the mundorfs would have them licked in treble extension(or at least presence) and a tighter bass but as always its that compomise thing and where its used,there mylar range is really good to:D
smithie

hi guys
i think ive decided to give the v1.1b a go,as that seems to suit my system.
im trying to keep cost right down for now till i get a feel for it and make sure its for me.
ive found a cheap switch mode power surpply,unfortantly its only 24vdc 60w 2.5amp,can i get by on this and still get a reasonable sound from the amp to judge it fairly? ill be using my 96db 8ohm drivers so if so any ideas of the power that will be avaliable from the amp using the specs from that power surpply and my drivers?
any advice would be a great help.
all the best
smithie

I was just trying to keep it from getting to far
off subject,when you start talking capacitors
that can happen fast, so many different opinions,
before you know it you are 5 pages talking nothing but
capacitors,I seen it to many times.

?????dont quite see how talking about replacement input caps and the different types for this amp is going to far off thread,moreso when you read back and weigh up that pretty much every component has had a similar analizise at one point or another!
smithie

ive found a cheap switch mode power surpply,unfortantly its only 24vdc 60w 2.5amp,can i get by on this and still get a reasonable sound from the amp to judge it fairly?

Check out the earlier posts in this thread. The short answer is that a 250-300 watt supply is the safest choice, but a number of people have gotten good results with less.

On a related note: Connex now has a single-voltage 24-30v SMPS on sale for $75. There's a discussion about it in the Connex forum. It's rated for 500 watts, yet it's only 110x100x40mm in size. :D

hi guys
i think ive decided to give the v1.1b a go,as that seems to suit my system.
im trying to keep cost right down for now till i get a feel for it and make sure its for me.
ive found a cheap switch mode power surpply,unfortantly its only 24vdc 60w 2.5amp,can i get by on this and still get a reasonable sound from the amp to judge it fairly? ill be using my 96db 8ohm drivers so if so any ideas of the power that will be avaliable from the amp using the specs from that power surpply and my drivers?
any advice would be a great help.
all the best
smithie

Yes. Personally, I'd give that supply a chance. 25-30W per channel is quite a bit of power into a 96dB speaker. (In fact I am rather starting to be rather envious here ... :) ) I would hazard a guess that you'll get a good match to the power rating of the drivers.

bigaudioscotto
i understand what your saying and appricate why you said it,at the end of the day i was just replying and answer some questions that a fellow member had asked,and thats what its all about isnt it.
im still undecided regarding that power surply,plenty of people have used printer power packs etc to good effect and this looks like a step up from them,its nice and small to so the amp would be a appealing size for in my little sitting room.
i do have one question,if i went with the meanwell 27v 13a 350w power surply could it be used to power two of these boards,i think i read somewhere that doing this would cause noise issues?,the trouble is theres so many pages to this thread i cant seem to find it now...any view on this?
all the best
smithie

i do have one question,if i went with the meanwell 27v 13a 350w power surply could it be used to power two of these boards,i think i read somewhere that doing this would cause noise issues?,the trouble is theres so many pages to this thread i cant seem to find it now...any view on this?
all the best
smithie

There were problems with the Sure boards in that respect, but a good implementation won't have problems.

hi kristleifur
thanks for your advice,now i dont know what to do:confused:
i could get two of those little power surplys for under the price of one of the meanwell big ones,but if the big power surply can power two then is it wiser to pay the extra $30 and go the tried and tested route...my head hurts
heres the power surply in question
Mean Well CLG-60 Series - 60W Single Output Class 2 LED Power Supply
it certainly would be nice to have two self contained power amps but as sound quality is what we,re all in this game for i need to make sure thats covered to:D
any words/advice of wisdom would be much appricated around about now!
smithie

smithie : the noise reports in this thread were only in one case: with 2x T3 boards and single smps. There are people using 2x T2 boars with single smps with no issue.
I can't remember for T1, but should be no different than T2.

As far as smps is concerned, 60W is far from sufficient and the one you link is for led supply. Not shure the filtering is that good.

Pick a single meanwell S-350, a single T1 board, buy some reasonable speaker cable and you're all set at best q/p ratio :D

hi
thanks for your input regarding the power surplys.
ok ive gone for it,ive ordered two v1.1b boards(i just hate long lengths of speaker cable soundwise+ it means i can power the mids and tweeters via one amp per side)) and the 27v meanwell power surply,along with eight binding posts...well it is near christmas,and its going to be more intresting then socks that i always seem to get:D
i also couldnt resist those other power surply to try...just incase,as there so cheap,im always playing so im sure ill find a use for it...if anyone else is intrested

24V dc, IP67, 60W(2.5A) Meanwell Power Supply CLG-60-24 - eBay (item 110601163632 end time Nov-19-10 12:07:34 PST)

all the best
smithie

Last edited:
2 boards, 1 supply, noise

bigaudioscotto
i do have one question,if i went with the meanwell 27v 13a 350w power surply could it be used to power two of these boards,i think i read somewhere that doing this would cause noise issues?

Running any of the Tripath amp boards with two boards and one supply, even with a battery, can cause the noise issue. You may get lucky. Dual amp packages with no/ short speaker cables sound much better anyway.

Running any of the Tripath amp boards with two boards and one supply, even with a battery, can cause the noise issue. You may get lucky. Dual amp packages with no/ short speaker cables sound much better anyway.

Respectfully – I'm quite confident that high-quality implementations won't have the noise issue. I've powered a pair of 41Hz Amp11s with a very wide range of supplies - batteries, miscellaneous SMPS. I have wired and soldered the amps together. Never any problems.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.