New Sub Build under 27Hz ? YTP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The midrange in the Statements is a
Dayton Audio RS225S-8 8" Reference Shielded Woofer 8 Ohm

Specifications: • Power handling: 80 watts RMS/120 watts max • VCdia: 1.5" • Le: 0.94 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 6.4 ohms • Frequency range: 27-2,000 Hz • Fs: 27 Hz • SPL: 88.1 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 2.66 cu. ft. • Qms: 1.42 • Qes: 0.53 • Qts: 0.38 • Xmax: 7 mm • Dimensions: A: 8-3/4", B: 7-3/8", C: 4".

so I was thinking of a sub that will be 10Hz to 27Hz

like 2 x 15 inch one facing front and one facing floor

need design plans and details ??

Any thoughts ?

WL

That's the Fs of the woofer in free air, or mounted on a baffle for testing. Inside your cabinet, plus there is a second woofer, the system response will change.

You'd need measurements of your current setup, or an idea of what the speakers are capable of But I don't think only having a subwoofer play under 27Hz is a good idea with main speakers with 8" woofers...

And unless you NEED 10Hz, I'd forget that idea all together. My 18" build seen here does have SOME 10hz output, but it's not a lot. And this is a large amp and driver, and it's not really a tiny box either....
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/221660-new-ht-subwoofer-dayton-ref-18-a.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
You didn't need to start a new thread, I asked your goals in the other thread. Is this for music? For home theater and movie sound effects? What SPL are you looking to achieve and at what distance? (How far is the listening position from your subwoofer)
What size limits are you placing on this subwoofer build?

Those are just some of the questions which are necessary before you even think about a build!

The midrange in the Statements is a
Dayton Audio RS225S-8 8" Reference Shielded Woofer 8 Ohm

Specifications: • Power handling: 80 watts RMS/120 watts max • VCdia: 1.5" • Le: 0.94 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 6.4 ohms • Frequency range: 27-2,000 Hz • Fs: 27 Hz • SPL: 88.1 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 2.66 cu. ft. • Qms: 1.42 • Qes: 0.53 • Qts: 0.38 • Xmax: 7 mm • Dimensions: A: 8-3/4", B: 7-3/8", C: 4".

so I was thinking of a sub that will be 10Hz to 27Hz

like 2 x 15 inch

need design plans and details ??

Any thoughts ?

WL

Hi Wavelight,

Good idea to add a (A single ?) suitable sub if very demanding HT records are in use, but I find your request of a Sub with 'one facing front and one facing floor' very odd and Lemon-scented with wishful thinking.

At what SPL's do you expect the Sub should survive?

b:)

Attachments

• Sub-for-the-Statements.jpg.JPG
    Sub-for-the-Statements.jpg.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 138
You didn't need to start a new thread, I asked your goals in the other thread. Is this for music? For home theater and movie sound effects? What SPL are you looking to achieve and at what distance? (How far is the listening position from your subwoofer)
What size limits are you placing on this subwoofer build?

Those are just some of the questions which are necessary before you even think about a build!

OK noted this will be for Music - Jazz / World Music / Classical
some home theater and movie effects
as for the SPL = the listening distance will apron 10 to 12 ft - what SPL , that I am not sure of , they do say the bigger the better

Curt - the guy who designed the "Statements " did say even though he is not a sub guy - the more the better with subs - therefore may be I do 2 x 12 in for the best effect - as I will be running a NAD T747 7.1 receiver 2 subs would give a great effect for movies - and perhaps turn them off for lighter listening - YTP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.