New Solder Rig day!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My faithful hakko 929 finally bit the big one, went in to solder, pressed and the iron hand piece part broke in half.

Playing with new FX-951. Seems to be the perfect replacement! Need to get a few additional tips. Perfect timing. Iron pre kit, XA 252 is at post office for pickup Monday, just in time.

Russellc

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice. I'm spoiled with the Pace MBT soldering / desoldering station I use at work. Would love to have the same thing at home but... big investment, even for a good pre-owned one. I did recently get a new PanaVise 350 for Father's Day, went ahead and added some stuff to it I thought might be useful. Here it is with one of my newly completed regulated PS boards from the BZLS article.. (I will be offering up some of these PCBs for sale at some point, ended up with extras)

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 384
Reactions: 1 user
Nice. Enjoy it in good health

To give my two cents, I think I'm done with big-name soldering tools. After getting the TS-100, my soldering stations have been collecting dust. Powering them up only for the de-soldering pump or the air rework tool

My only gripe is that it's not ergonomic, but meh... The tips last forever and it holds heat on humongous metal parts like a champ

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm content with this

few additional hands/irons with different tips ...... easier to unplug/plug DIN than change tips

practically - doing that just with top one, choosing between 2 sizes needed for smd work; mid one strictly for common through hole work, lower one widest chisel tip, strictly for heavy duty work

hint - using exclusively Quick 236/706/936 tips with these; in my neck of wood easier to get genuine ones than genuine Hakko; in fact, stumbled first on Quick, didn't even check for Hakko

Attachments

• Tower of Power.jpg
    Tower of Power.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ItsAllInMyHead - That "QuadHands" base is nice and heavy. There are a few variations available. The arms are just on there with some strong magnets, so they're easily removable if they happen to be in your way.

The station I currently use is just like ZM's there. Except mine just has different branding, works great..

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Joined 2019
Paid Member
ItsAllInMyHead - That "QuadHands" base is nice and heavy. There are a few variations available. The arms are just on there with some strong magnets, so they're easily removable if they happen to be in your way.

The station I currently use is just like ZM's there. Except mine just has different branding, works great..
Fantastic, thanks! I've got a separate unit that I use occasionally, but having it incorporated into the PanaVise would be fantastic.

Nice. I'm spoiled with the Pace MBT soldering / desoldering station I use at work. Would love to have the same thing at home but... big investment, even for a good pre-owned one. I did recently get a new PanaVise 350 for Father's Day, went ahead and added some stuff to it I thought might be useful. Here it is with one of my newly completed regulated PS boards from the BZLS article.. (I will be offering up some of these PCBs for sale at some point, ended up with extras)
What are the large vise type arms holding the completed board you show in the second picture? I don't see them on Panavise's website as a compatible accessory.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
have few more pics of decent cheapo for ya

now, Tower of Power :rofl: again - changes I made are - adding front face switches, more convenient; also super-gluing handle-to-base screw mount on every solder handle-stick - cheapos are prone to wiggle there so remedy is simple

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_192141.jpg
    IMG_20230703_192141.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
hot air station and desoldering station

for first one, choosing cheapo - take one with membrane pump in case, not those having fan, either in case or in handle

desoldering station - felt filters - I'm making my own, buying cheap packages of dozen - felt pads for furniture feet

not matter of price for original ones, simply I have those felt pads 300m from home, while originals I need to remember to order

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_191900.jpg
    IMG_20230703_191900.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20230703_192144.jpg
    IMG_20230703_192144.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20230703_192153.jpg
    IMG_20230703_192153.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 97
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I never thought of setting up soldering stations with different tips. I have a couple of FX-888's that I should do that with. Looking at this thread, I need some more tooling, or for that matter a bench.

I moved somewhat recently and my latest work station has been a box of assorted electronics tools by my listening chair, and a flipped over trash can with drywall for a work surface... Actually, I can recommend the drywall. very safe from making scratches, cheap etc. But I can't recommend the trash can. 😬

I still sometimes hold circuit boards between my knees as I solder. Ok, so that is a bit of a stretch, but when I do use it, there is a clumsy little jig that holds my boards nicely if I have the patience.
FWIW, what I see here is an example of how finer work is done. You get the right equipment (for you), and it allows much better performance than before. I learned this early on in woodworking. The first couple of years I struggled with equipment that really wasn't up to the task.

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I never thought of setting up soldering stations with different tips. I have a couple of FX-888's that I should do that with. Looking at this thread, I need some more tooling, or for that matter a bench.

I moved somewhat recently and my latest work station has been a box of assorted electronics tools by my listening chair, and a flipped over trash can with drywall for a work surface... Actually, I can recommend the drywall. very safe from making scratches, cheap etc. But I can't recommend the trash can. 😬
My 951 came with a cylinder shaped metal piece with holes drilled in it to hold various tips. Just yank one out and stick the other in. The modern Hakko iron part is better than the older ones my other two Hakkos have. (Including the one that broke in half.)

Russellc

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Better then using a bed :yikes: with cats! :Pawprint:
Yikes. I think you are right. I am working on an amp now. I have upgraded to the kitchen table. But I need to be quick about it otherwise my wife will downgrade me to the outside. 😬

My 951 came with a cylinder shaped metal piece with holes drilled in it to hold various tips. Just yank one out and stick the other in. The modern Hakko iron part is better than the older ones my other two Hakkos have. (Including the one that broke in half.)
That is pretty slick.