New server required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, experience teaches.. that you CANNOT restrict in any way, to filter. This NEVER works. It always comes off badly. As expensive as the free-for-all is, that is the only true way to run the site. free reign is required. period. with moderation. Policing of free souls is the only way to go. reasonable policing, of course.

Quote just delivered:

" Let Jason know that given a starting monthly throughput of roughly35GB and the 1GB of storage requirement we can host the site for something along the lines of $200 to $250 a month. I can give him something firm when I know all the details, but that includes PHP4 and MySQL support. Also, remind him that those are wee Canadian dollars, not big ugly American ones. I don't know how his Aussie dollars do in the US. That has to look a lot better than $1,800/month which is outrageous.

Shane Magee
CanTech Solutions
613-549-1258 ext 116"

~~~~~~~

There you go.

Hi KBK,

you're right, kinda what I was trying to say, gets much harder to police I think when paying members are asked to curb their posting habits..............

This forum gets valued reponses from
at least 4 dudes I can think of, they may have commercial interests, but we would lose if they were to go
Nelson, Aksa, Elso and Guido.......

Thanks
Raja

KBK said:
also, experience teaches.. that you CANNOT restrict in any way, to filter. This NEVER works. It always comes off badly. As expensive as the free-for-all is, that is the only true way to run the site. free reign is required. period. with moderation. Policing of free souls is the only way to go. reasonable policing, of course.

Replies like these make me think (that's good, isn't it?:xeye: )
If only paid members can start threads, it will probably be the start of a DiyAudioElite (is that domain taken?) while aspiring members will be reluctant to sign up.
And those free members who did sign up will hijack threads to post their queries, which leads to increased noise.

So, for me a system based on donations or (small, relevant) ads would be preferable over paid membership.

Mini-payments

If it's true that we have 8,600+ members then I suggest a volunteer paid scheme. That is, I'd pay $5 USD. I bet many people would pay $2-10. After all, we build stuff. That sort of amount is trivial in the light of the parts cost of our works.

I do undertand that it's not a certain income, which is where some relevant commerical concerns should come in. Companies like Madisound or Parts Express would probably welcome the opportunity to engage such a targeted audience.

Michael Graves
mgraves@mstvp.com

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it a bad idea to make the 'Donations/ Paid membership' thread sticky/more visible?
I guess many people don’t notice it so this thread goes off topic with posts that should be in the other thread. (You can move this one if you whish).

I post here, solely because it has a greater chance to be viewed. (Not that I consider my words that important) ;)

IMO, the idea of a hierarchical membership is only good if it is based on objective criteria.
Personally I would prefer no hierarchy, but if it must be…
Subjective measures like the smartest, oldest, most knowledged paid/not paid or whatever you call it should be avoided. I include paid/not paid as subjective because there’s nothing more subjective than “rich” or “poor”.

AudioFreak,
Could you, if the time is right please inform how things are going?
Do we already have a new home, is no news still good news, should we keep looking?
What are the latest findings, ideas?

Thanks

/Hugo :)

My observations are that our current host probably wants us gone in the fairly near future. We are currently in negotiations with one of the members to get the next 12 months hosting covered. The beg-a-thon will go ahead in the mean time though as we still need money to cover the cost of new software and to make sure we have plenty in the bank by the time that this deal ends. I can't say that we have secured hosting for the next 12 months yet but it is looking more promising as time goes on.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The beg-a-thon will go ahead in the mean time though as we still need money to cover the cost of new software and to make sure we have plenty in the bank by the time that this deal ends.

Sending a dollar to OZ or the US usually costs ten times that dollar....

Not that I mind mind contributing but let's keep it at realistic levels...

Have any of you look at how AA is sponsored?
Pretty unobtrusive if you ask me...Not a short term solution but still a viable solution to long term financing.

Cheers,;)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi guys,

Thanks for the continued support. We're getting closer to working something out, but as a guide and a fallback, I think grabbing a server at rackshack.net for $100/$120 a month could be considered the 'lowest common denominator'. That comes with 700GB of bandwidth, and it would be our own box which makes things a lot easier. The acehost thing appears to be a virtual server, and only comes with 1gb of HD space, and the offer from KBK is probably way over the top in terms of cost.

The only problems with rackshack is that their ram is very expensive, and the site might not cope to well with an underpowered server. Time will tell.

If anyone can find a better offer than rackshack please post it in this thread. Thanks!

Jason

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
By the way, I must say thank you to all of you who have offered to cover the hosting (costs) in the short term in order to keep the site running. Your offers are very kind, and very generous. Don't stress too much - I will personally guarantee the hosting will be paid for and the site will stay up (unless VO pull the rug from under us without notice - which would make both me and sitepoint very unhappy, as there are other sites still being hosted on this server...(!)).

Hello,

Have you considered using a cache server to reduce overall bandwidth usage? Attachments and all other miscellaneous site graphics could be cached, reducing bandwidth consumption and possibly enhancing server performance. Which, in the end, would mean less critical requirements server side.

I'm not really sure how it would work on the Unix side, as I am from the other world (Microsoft... sorry), but this seemed to work out rather well at some of the sites I've worked on.

Just a thought.

If you are interested, let me know, and I can ask around if anyone has any Cisco boxes left over. I had heard someone I know talk about one recently.

N

nfway said:
Hello,

Have you considered using a cache server to reduce overall bandwidth usage? Attachments and all other miscellaneous site graphics could be cached, reducing bandwidth consumption and possibly enhancing server performance. Which, in the end, would mean less critical requirements server side.

Squid cache will do this at the server end.

But how will it reduce bandwidth?
The same data still needs to be sent.

It also wouldnt have an effect of server perfomance either, because most of the large attached data is handled via the forums, not static links which means the cache will always pass the requests on to Apache anyway.

nfway said:
Hello,

I've done alot of work on this front already and once we have the next 12 months hosting sorted out, I will be writing (or heavily modifying existing code) to cache as much of the content as is practical. I'll also write some code to detect google bots and give them 304 'Not Modified' responses on pages that haven't changed since they last visited. This should save us a fairly large amount of bandwidth and server load (you'd be amazed just how demanding the approx. 4000 google bots are that visit us within a period of just a few hrs at the start of each month). But, for a great deal of the content, caching is only going to have limitted success due to the quantity of dynamic content that varies between users etc.

mazzanet said:
have a look at SniperHQ hosting (www.sniperhq.net). im with them and they have very good service.
plan wise they have a plan with 40gb bandwidth/month, 5gb diskspace (not including mysql), unlimited number of mysql databases all for $23 a month. server is running linux with ssh access and php support.
I've read their TOS and they dont allow Bulletin Boards etc. so they are no good to us.

AudioFreak said:
Ok, thanks for the clarification, I only really glossed over it. If you are in contact with the owner of that hosting company, would you kindly ask him what would be acceptable use of resources and how wide a pipe would we be connected thru.

after talking to the owner some more, they would happily host diyaudio. sniperhq is on several gigabit links.

Status
Not open for further replies.