NEW ScanSpeak Illuminator Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
he all new ScanSpeak Illuminator line is the flagship of Tymphany’s transducer offering, and represents the pinnacle of cost-no-object audio transducer design. The line will initially feature four models; 5¼” and 6½” mid-woofers, and ¾” and 1” tweeters. Additional sizes will also be released in 2008.

“The Illuminator line is the culmination of many years research, and I’m very excited about the performance we have been able to achieve,” said Tymphany CTO Bob True. “I think the combination of best in class performance combined with easily customized cosmetics will prove very compelling to our OEM customers.”

ScanSpeak Illuminator woofers are based on a patent pending “underhung” neodymium ring motor design with an extremely open cast aluminum chassis. The new 5¼” actually moves so much air, its performance exceeds many competitors’ 6½” models. Multiple cone materials and cosmetic finishes will be available.

ScanSpeak Illuminator tweeters build on the heritage of the renowned ScanSpeak D29 “Revelator” tweeter, regarded by many as the best in the world. Also employing high force factor neo ring motors, the Illuminator tweeters have proprietary damping materials within an aluminum back chamber, resulting in great heat dissipation and very low resonance. A variety of dome materials including magnesium, titanium and beryllium can be delivered upon request.

The new Illuminator products will be manufactured exclusively in Tymphany’s transducer factory in Denmark. Samples will be on display at Tymphany’s suite during the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Interesting. With so many of Scans old driver engineers now departed I wondered if these will indeed by a step forward over the well established Revelator and Sliced paper designs.

I'm a sucker for anything like this so I might just have to find out for myself rather waiting for the opinions and tests to come in. Please speak up if anyone has any more info or photo's. :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
nicoch46 said:
tw :
A variety of dome materials including magnesium, titanium and BERYLLIUM can be delivered upon request.

Sound good!!!

Lets hope that's not an option just for OEM customers. I say this because most of driver manufacturers will do production runs of custom drivers but these tend to carry a proviso along the lines of "minimum quantity 100".

Hopefully a DIY'er will have access to the variety of materials and at quantities starting from a single driver. Of course we don't the exact benefit or pitfalls of each material used in a particular driver but at least the option is there and will allow tailoring for bandwidth and crossover specifics.

Seems that the spider must be somewhat transparent audio wise - or partly transparent and diffuse, so the new basket and 'shaped' motor assembly will work as intended.

I note also the sort of clover shape/pattern. This would seem to replace the sliced paper to control breakup modes.

They look interesting - too bad you can't see what behind once it's mounted. I suppose it is not for looks but for sound. :)

Did they mention prices?

Joe R.

PS: The Tymphany website has gone back to use the Vifa name again - not going to use V-Line after all? There are also exotic coned version of Peerless HDS coming out - it all happening fast!

The big shift here is the motor structure which goes from overhung ferrite with a copper sleeve to underhung ring neo with copper rings. Each approach has technical advantages and drawbacks, but that shift also represents a huge increase in the cost of the magnet system. The open spokes are nice, but the spider ring diameter is very large, reflecting back a lot of energy from the rear of the cone. The basket design is interesting, but the double screw 3 point mounting system leaves way too much space between mounting screws, and overall it is rather deep. It will be interesting to see how these drivers are priced, especially with the Dollar crashing vs the Danish Krone.

jmsent said:
The big shift here is the motor structure which goes from overhung ferrite with a copper sleeve to underhung ... huge increase in the cost of the magnet system.

If price is no objection, this is more good than bad... but I like deep boxes for good midrange performance. Any driver that covers the mids likes a large volume behind it - the bigger the more anechoic it becomes and less delayed energy coming back through the cones.

The open spokes are nice, but the spider ring diameter is very large, reflecting back a lot of energy from the rear of the cone.

That is what struck me too. But the ribbing of the spider will diffuse somewhat and maybe the spider is designed to be more transparent? We don't know - it might be very open weave?

The basket design is interesting, but the double screw 3 point mounting system leaves way too much space between mounting screws, and overall it is rather deep. It will be interesting to see how these drivers are priced, especially with the Dollar crashing vs the Danish Krone.

That I hadn't noticed. Sharp eyes. You will need some strong T-Nuts. Could the rationale be here that it causes less buckling forces when mounted this way?

Joe R.

very interesting indeed -

As far as mounting holes is concerned - the cast flange certainly seems thick enough that buckling wouldn't be much of an issue, but 6 spaced in a conventional 60degree pattern till seems intuitively to make more sense.

Re the spider - many of S-S previous designs, as well as numerous other makers have incorporated stacked ceramic magnet assemblies with approximately equivalent or even larger diameter "shadows" - which are in many cases closer to the rear of the cone than here. As implemented here, the spider has to be more acoustically transparent than as when usually suspended mere millimeters above the top plate of a far more massive motor assembly.

Aside from the "cost" of mounting depth everything about the open, trussed basket frame and gorgeous, almost sensuously curved motor housing makes sense.

If these new design features would be incorporated into a full range driver, along with some other changes that I'm sure the DIY community would love to describe ( reverse roll or funky Fostex Sigma type pleated, embossed or CNC painted EnABL style patterns, etc,) this could evolve into an entirely new paradigm of driver performance.

Ask yourself this - when manufacturers the likes of Feastrex, Lowther, PHY, Fertin, Supravox, AER, etc., can command their prices, how expensive is "too much"?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
jmsent said:
The open spokes are nice, but the spider ring diameter is very large, reflecting back a lot of energy from the rear of the cone. The basket design is interesting

Have you seen acoustically transparent projection material such as the clearpix2 from Screen Research? You can project an image into it with perfect clarity yet it attenuates sound by only 2dB at 15Khz! Also consider the thickness of the spider, its a fraction of a mm. This will allow the vast majority of sound to pass through without being reflected, only very short frequency wavelengths are to be considered troublesome and even then if its around 5-10%(equivalent to the clearpix2) open weave then not a problem.

chrisb said:
If these new design features would be incorporated into a full range driver, along with some other changes that I'm sure the DIY community would love to describe ( reverse roll or funky Fostex Sigma type pleated, embossed or CNC painted EnABL style patterns, etc,) this could evolve into an entirely new paradigm of driver performance.

Ask yourself this - when manufacturers the likes of Feastrex, Lowther, PHY, Fertin, Supravox, AER, etc., can command their prices, how expensive is "too much"? [/B]

I would think that given the existing ScanSpeak business model, the goal for these drivers is to be priced for usage by "small" OEM's like Wilson Audio, and delivered in lots of a few hundred at a time. And in the case of OEM's-even very high end ones- there is indeed such a thing as "too expensive". The names you mention certainly command extremely high prices, but I doubt the quantities they actually sell would be anywhere near sufficient for Tymphany.

And while nothing stands in the way of developing a full range driver based on this concept, I don't see anything in the present design that points in this direction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.