NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi srini i later checked your previous posts.u mentioned ben q G61HDAL is perfectly good for stripping,no ffc issue.so now I finally decided
unsplit design,
benq G61HDAL lcd,
220/330 395X395 lenses,310-360 adjustable focus triplet,condenser,reflector,all from optolife,
400 w osram mh lamp and ballast locally.as your recomendation I am not in the plan of removing ag,I am not confident about it,and I like theatre like little dimmer picture,so high brightness is not required.
please give your suggestions.also can you share benq g61hdal stripping suggestions/pics.

thank you a lot.

dear prosenjit
I had a samsung lcd monitor (1024x800),i stripped it.39$ is normal registered post(24 days delivery),65$ is DHL like courier.(7-8 days i think)
Stripping LCD at first seems to be tough ,but its due to cautious mind of ourselves.take care of FFC cables,do stripping without haste.
Hertzblazter has suggested not to use 400 x 320 mm fresnel from Optolife,since it has some issues ,so go for 395 x 395 for 15.6" from 3dlens.(only this part)

with regards
Srinivasan

srini
after 2 days of watching good movies (cars2 for kids) i finally screwed up the LCD.
after all testing is over, when I was planning to do a permanent housing, the three sets of cables connecting the LCD got damaged. Now I am able to see movie only if i press it (not the FFC cable, the other one from controller board connecting LCD)........... waiting for another LCD.

hi guys
removing benq monitor is easy. First i struggled to find out the screws. when we see on the back i coul dnot see any screws for removing. i saw a symbol at the back "unlock" and tried that and then also could not open. finally managed to open front panel with a small screw driver. no ffc issues, but in the enthusiasm damaged the lcd cables. oh............ 3700 rs. gone...

srini
after 2 days of watching good movies (animation movie for kids) i finally screwed up the LCD.
after all testing is over, when I was planning to do a permanent housing, the three sets of cables connecting the LCD got damaged. Now I am able to see movie only if i press it (not the FFC cable, the other one from controller board connecting LCD)........... waiting for another LCD.

@keimjay,

I wish to know the dia of your lens and its focal length. I have a lens recycled from an OHD. Its dia is 9 cm ( 8.5 cm available for use) and focal length is 36 cm. can I use it with a 15 inch monitor ?.
Which light are you using 250W or 400 W ?

Also I am concerned with the size of the projected image. At 3.6 meter form the screen the image will be 150 inch with a this LCD.

keimjay how you managed to set up 15.6 inch monitor with a 310mm fresnel,because 15.6 inch 16:9 monitor will be 340mm in width which is greater than 310mm.even if it is 4:3 width becomes 320mm.so part of the picture will be cropped in the projected image.are you running it from pc and not using the full viewable area of the monitor by vlc media player or something like that?my problem is I wont be running it from pc.I have a dedicated media player for movie purpose and that do not have any mminimising facility like computers.

i tried calling prosenjit, but somebody else picked up. anyway now my new BENQ LCD is totally dead and no hope of making it work, as tried all methods. Now I will try with some 15inch square monitor.

For prosenjit, yes you are right, wide screen monitor is bigger than 310mm fresnel (i didnot realise before buying it) and was managing with VLC, by scaling. Can we get some 10inch monitor (car mount LCD and stuffs like that) can somebody advise.

i tried calling prosenjit, but somebody else picked up. anyway now my new BENQ LCD is totally dead and no hope of making it work, as tried all methods. Now I will try with some 15inch square monitor.

For prosenjit, yes you are right, wide screen monitor is bigger than 310mm fresnel (i didnot realise before buying it) and was managing with VLC, by scaling. Can we get some 10inch monitor (car mount LCD and stuffs like that) can somebody advise.

dear jay

please select the monitor from this list in another website

DIYPROJECTOR-PHILS. -> Lcd Compatible Chart

DIYPROJECTOR-PHILS. -> Lcds That Compatible With Diy Projector

sorry jay i was sleeping when you callled:(.anyway now you can buy 10 inch or 13 inch lcd kit from hertz sir.or local 13 inch lcd tvs.but i cud nt find smaller lcd tvs with vga or hdmi,only dvd video input.otherwise you can try second hand 15 inch monitors.if you find coby 13 inch at your local electronics market it is also good.I wont suggest car roof smaller lcds since with that cost you can easily get full lcd kit.

After 1 year still rocking :)

Hi Guys,

Its been a very long time i had visited this forum and now i see a lot of activity going on. Keep up the spirits of DIYers.

I had built the projector last year in Sept 2010 and since then i am regularly watching movies,HD movie songs (720p downloaded from you tube), Dish TV. I am very very happy with my projector and the crystal crisp clarity.

I used the following components:

1) Samsung 15 inch monitor NW633 ( Spoiled one during the built)
2) Fresnel lenses from 3dlens.com
3) Triplet & condensor lens from Welcome to the Optics Allied Engineering Pvt. Ltd.
4) MDF wood for box
5) 400 watts MH lamp OSRAM
6) 3 CPU fans for cooling
7) Aluminium Sheet as reflector

Hope, you will enjoy the pictures attached. The last 5 pictures are taken from mobile phone, the clarity is a bit hazy.

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    839.3 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    832.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    776.1 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    819.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Photo0020.jpg
    Photo0020.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo0083.jpg
    Photo0083.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Photo0079.jpg
    Photo0079.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Photo0082.jpg
    Photo0082.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 113
LCDs

I am on the look out for a cheap LCD to start the project. In the shops in Kochi, Kerala , india, three pieces I identified:

1. DAPIC car LCD 10 (11?) inch 1055U model resolution :1024x800

2. worldtech WT-9012U 9 inch resolution: 1024x768 (RGB)

3. Orkia OK-T911 - 9 inch resolution: 1024x768 (RGB)

All are seem to be chinese made ones . Prices in the rupees 3500 -4000 range.

The resolution of the fist seem to be somewhat strange. the other two seem to be ok. I am avoiding the LCD monitors because, at 10X magnifcation, it will be huge. I have to keep the PJ about 12 ft away from screen.

Does any body tried with these LCDs / or similar ones ?
Do these quoted resolutions are true ? or they just print some nos on the box ?

One more question is: any is using polycarbonate sheet instead of toughened glass to protect LCD from heat ? If so what is the thickness available ? Here only 2mm sheets are available.

Thanks in advance.

yes god,those lcds are not good.also they do not have vga or hdmi input.only cable tv and dvd video input.if you want to save money,go for second hand standard14 inch or 15.6 inch desktop monitors(max 2500/-).but yes 15.6 monitors wont fit in 310mm fresnel available in india.only old square type 14 inch monitors will fit smoothly in 310mm fersnel.if you can find one in local electronic market.

I did tried these LCDs listed above and found that they are hox. they have very low resolution. Instead I bought a super brand 10 inch LCD which seem to have better resolution. Its panel is made in japan by Toshiba.

I went for a smaller LCD primarily because placement issues . I could place the box is about 10 -12 ft away from the wall I intended to use as screen. With 15 inch LCD the image will be about 150 inch size. Another issue is that I wish to connect a DVD player or a STB to it, not a computer. I have made the box such a way that if every thing works perfectly only the LCD need to be replaced.

Right now I am testing with a fresnel and single glass lens from a dead OHD donated by my friend. If every things goes fine I will order the fresnel and triplet lens from the pune based supplier.

what are the super lcd specs?800X600.if you want to project at 80 inch diaognal at wall,and play original dvds it will be quite good,no issues of not having vga or hdmi input.because your source resolution will be equal to or nearer your lcd res.then this is the perfet solution for you.lensel 285X285 fresnel will be perfect for you.btw what is a STB? and what wattage light are you using? best of luck friend.

arkumar,
your photos looks like you have placed the condenser lens quite too close to the Bulb. Is it ok, and do we have some measurement for this, or it also has a Focal length. whats your spec of condenser lens. Also for reflector I used a commercial reflector (its like a sheet of mirror polished sheet, and cost is Rs.35) and the results are not good. Any new ideas on this ?

what are the super lcd specs?800X600.if you want to project at 80 inch diaognal at wall,and play original dvds it will be quite good,no issues of not having vga or hdmi input.because your source resolution will be equal to or nearer your lcd res.then this is the perfet solution for you.lensel 285X285 fresnel will be perfect for you.btw what is a STB? and what wattage light are you using? best of luck friend.

I do not know the resolution of super LCD. May be VGA only. In that case it is bad. I did not cared about the resolution as I wish to test the setup for the time being. If every thing goes well, I can always buy a good LCD. My final aim is to use one good LCD with HDMI.

STB = set top box as in DTH

Light source - 250W osram metal halide. No reflector now. I am planning to use the ambassador head light dome as reflector as used by some body else and reported as very good.

For the time being, I have some issues with the Fresnel. I am looking at how it turns out. My friend has given me the Fresnel as well from the OHD. It was a joined one and I split it in to two. the size is approx 30x30 cm. Focal length of one Fresnel is about 22 cm and the other is 33 cm. I have to do some testing of these fresnels as it did not turned out as expected.

As I have read a lot in this forum, in lumenlab and the one by hertzblaster in Philippines and other assorted posts and blogs, I have no doubt on the theoretical side.

I will post later when I encounter any problems when I actually test the set up. As of now, I made the box of 8 mm plywood, bought the light, made the focusing mechanism, dismantled the LCD etc.

Finally I wish every member a happy new year, which is only two hours away( as per indian standard time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.