New pair of Alpair 11ms

As a retired engineer I fully understand and respect your views regarding 'subjectivity', and if I may, would your comments regarding 'flatter LF impedance' hold true for the Water Buffalo design?

No, it's reasonable but of the two the pensil has the flatter LF impedance load because that was a design objective, so if you require a design with greater tolerance of changes in amplifier output impedance, it will be the better option in this regard.

Last edited:
Hi All! I've just had a Mark Audio Alpair 11MS Nostromo built, with slight adjustments. Its my first proper Full range speaker, currently running them in, without damping material. I must say, they do vocals and acoustic instruments very naturally well! Not sure what damping material to use, will probably add some polyester to taste, hehe!

Attachments

• alpair.jpg
    alpair.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 540
Now that I better understand what the drivers are capable of, what differences am I likely to hear if I install them in Water Buffalo or Pensil 11 cabinets, and will either of these be more tolerant of differing amplifier output impedance? Many thanks.

Is your next build going to be a Pensil 11 then...?
It's been very interesting to read your posts, in part as I am in Cornwall, and in part as I'm teetering on building some Pensil 11's as my first build.
If you do, I may well follow in your footsteps to Woodshop Direct to get the timber cut, so let me know, as an order for two sets might benefit everyone..!

Woodwork required? The last time I checked, they were a box. You can add the longitudinal bracing if you wish, and it's worth having, but it's not a cast-in-stone requirement either. A little practicality is required: if the choice is the box (providing you use a quality void-free plywood) and no bracing, or no box at all, I know which I'd rather do.

Thanks for your encouragement Scott, and I have to add that my son (not easily impressed) was indeed impressed with my current build. Whoever said that the 11MS drivers only needed 10hrs of break in was wrong (in my view), yes they improve but really need much longer to reach peak performance (subjectively speaking, sorry).

One day I might but if you look at the complexity (and size) of the cabinets for the P11 on the KJF website, the woodwork required beyond the cut blanks would be too much for me. Anyways, I'm still very much enjoying the one I made earlier

It is a simple box - you may be confusing it with the super pensil which looks more complex but really isn't, just a couple of cross braces that need a few random holes.
I may just have to give it a try in a couple of weeks...

hello folks

hope everyone is well. I'm facing a great hurdle on my fhxl build due to the unavalabilty of wool felt in south india. trying to find an alternative seems to be very difficult. hence i need your suggestion on something i found.

its called nankarrow isomat-hd.

i cross-checked the sound absoption coefficient (SAC) of wool felt to the SAC of isomat and it looked like a good match. in fact the isomat hd has better SAC values when it comes to mid-range frequencies. but I'm unsure if just the SAC alone is the deciding factor behind choosing a felt for cabinet inner lining.

i will post SAC data for both wool and isomat HD here.

Attachments

• wool.jpg
    wool.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 430
  • not wool.jpg
    not wool.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Hi scott, are there any, or can you make a design with two ms11's per side? Very happy with the nostromo's, but cant stop wondering what 2 times the ms 11 will do per side. That will give the same square suraface area as a 8,5" driver. I really dig the omega loudspeaker desigs with 2 x full range on a wide baffle.

Reactions: 1 user