New Olive CD-to-Lossless Harddisk-based Audiophile Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is absolutely not true. The only thing they have in common is their PowerPC CPU familygroup, the CPU differs. They don't have anything else that's even slightly the same.

Besides that, the new Mac mini has Intel X86 now which leaves no similarity at all.

A true Mac fanatic should now say that the CPU in the Olive has less power-per-Watt than Intel CPUs ;)

jean-paul said:
That is absolutely not true. The only thing they have in common is their CPU familygroup, the CPU differs. They don't have anything else that's the same.

Besides that, the new Mac mini has Intel X86 now which leaves no similarity at all.

I can see that you like to argue every ones post's. There for ill say this.

It was a mac mini that used the g4 FROM WHAT I HEARD..!

I have the olive book infront of me and every thing about this unit spells mac.

Have you seen one in person have you used one have you listened to one.. Why should you be able to comment like this the way you do. Did you call them and ask ?

How do you know all this info if you don't even have one ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Honestly I do not like to argue but I like to be well-informed. It seems that nowadays people form opinions from what they hear or see on computer screens. I follow the old fashioned way: I open the box and see what's inside. Even more scary : I really ( i.e. not virtual ) listen and judge their quality.

As said before, I have the 160 gb version of the Olive/Hermstedt and I know what's really inside.

jean-paul said:
I do not like to argue but I like to be well-informed. As said before, I have the 160 gb version of the Olive/Hermstedt and I know what's really inside.

Oh i stand corrected. Maybe you can post some better pictures of it ?

Dave ( planet10 ) actually brought this to my attention. Can you show us some nicer pic's.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
My pics would have been worse than the ones at the Hermstedt website I'm afraid ;)

Amazing, this is one of the first audio brands that shows high res pics of the innards of their products AFAIK. I saw them before I bought the machine. I truely like their open policy and the fact they regularly issue software updates. The thing runs on Linux.

Jleaman, I have to correct myself. Operation of the Hermstedt gear is similar ( copied ? ) to that of Ipod.

jean-paul said:
My pics would have been worse than the ones at the Hermstedt website I'm afraid ;)

Amazing, this is one of the first audio brands that shows high res pics of the innards of their products AFAIK.

I want one :).. How do you like the sound of this machine ? Wonder how it will play with my external dac connected to it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It sounds OK, much better than an Ipod. I would not call it high end though :clown:

It is not perfect. The mains transformer is not silent in my Hifidelio Pro. Operation is so easy it's addictive :bigeyes:

Also the laptop type optical drive is a bit noisy and it's a slot-in type of drive. That's why I mostly fill it with music wirelessly.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm coming into this thread late (and on the road)...

The olive is a really cool product. I could see Jason taking the comments i made and extrapolating that with no evidence to conclude it was a macMini -- that is just the way his brain works. The'd be crazy to do that. The product is heavily influenced by the Mac -- the companion software is only available for OS X.

I'm currently conducting some beta testing of Brent's USB DAC (1543 based on AudioSector unit). Even at this early stage it is very good.

I' using a PowerBook (found in the trash), which gets Apple Lossless files from my G4 in another room. The big advantage with ripping files to disk is that the ripping ap (iTunes) can take as many tries to get a reluctant bit of info off the CD -- a CD player does not have this luxury.

And as too Charles contention that WiFi (same frequency as wireless phones) can affect sonics... i have been noticing some little birdies in my system that sound like something described early in this thread. We do have to consider that we will have to learn to deal with this because wireless is not going away. It will be everywhere so we just have to learn to live with it.

dave

planet10 said:
I'm coming into this thread late (and on the road)...

The olive is a really cool product. I could see Jason taking the comments i made and extrapolating that with no evidence to conclude it was a macMini -- that is just the way his brain works. The'd be crazy to do that. The product is heavily influenced by the Mac -- the companion software is only available for OS X.

dave

I have proof. Do you want the email forwarded back to you ?

Attachments

• promoipodhifi20060228.jpg
    promoipodhifi20060228.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 264
Charles Hansen said:
If you can't hear the effect of a low powered 2.4 GHz transmitter on your stereo equipment, you have a really, really poorly performing system/hearing.

This makes no sense whatsoever. If this were true, then anyone living within 100 miles of a broadcast trasmitter would not be able to listen to any quality audio, which is clearly NOT the case. Good equipment design/construction includes bandwidth limiting to prevent RF interference, not the opposite, as you suggest.

davidsrsb said:

Or equipment that was designed by somebody who knows how to filter out uhf/microwave rf. It's not difficult but costs money.

It is neither difficult nor expensive. Small caps at the input to amplifiers, normal, proper grounding/shielding, zobel networks on amplifier outputs...

I_F

I skimmed this thread, people are claiming it's a mac... it's not.

It uses a PowerPC 405EP embedded processor, which has never been used in any Apple desktop product. It's sold for embedded systems and you'll find the chip being used as such - in set-top boxes, networking equipment, and various other things - the same places you'd stuff an ARM, 386EX, etc.

I've used a similar chip (405GP) in a couple of embedded systems in my career. They're great chips - they've got gobs of built in peripherals (SDRAM controller, PCI bus, host bus, ethernet port(s), UARTs, etc) and they run Linux with very little effort. If I was to build one of these players, I'd probably use the exact same chip...

Hmmm, now I wonder if the purported sensitivity of tubes equipment is due to the tubes being above the chassis. A cage (read: Faraday shield) should make the difference, assuming reasonable line filtering, grid stoppers, and the like.

Damn, I really want to try this but I'm stuck in Vienna with opera tickets.:D

SY said:
Hmmm, now I wonder if the purported sensitivity of tubes equipment is due to the tubes being above the chassis. A cage (read: Faraday shield) should make the difference, assuming reasonable line filtering, grid stoppers, and the like.

In my experience, tubes are *less* susceptible to these effects. In comparison, transistors suffer from non-linear capacitances, minority-carrier storage effects, et cetera.

The fact that you are citing line filtering and grid-stoppers reinforces my point. The only reason to employ these techniques is to achieve improved sound quality by reducing the effects of RF interference. (This is also why people report improved sound quality by using batteries.)

Please note that one can only *reduce* these negative effects with these techniques, and never actually eliminate them. In addition, many of these techniques result in other compromises that degrade the sound quality.

Of course, some people can't hear or don't care how good their stereo sounds and blithely insist on installing RF transmitters in their listening room. That's fine, I have zero problems with that. But for those of us who care how our music sounds, it would be wise to remove as many sources of RFI as possible.

Here's a really good idea -- try it and report back here with your results. The easiest way to tell would be to make as many changes at once as possible. Unplug from the wall (turning the power switch off is insufficient, except with battery powered equipment) all transmitters and equipment with switching power supplies -- cell phones, cordless phones, X-10 controllers, wi-fi, computers, low priced stereo equipment (especially DVD players and surround-sound receivers), and video displays.

If you can hear a difference, great -- you've learned something. If you can't hear a difference, great -- just don't try to tell me what I can or can't hear.

I_Forgot said:
It is neither difficult nor expensive. Small caps at the input to amplifiers, normal, proper grounding/shielding, zobel networks on amplifier outputs...

It sounds like you have a lucrative career just waiting for you. You are clearly the one that can easily design competent hi-fi equipment. I'm sure you'll put the rest of us manufacturers out of business in no time flat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.