New Olive CD-to-Lossless Harddisk-based Audiophile Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't deign to tell you what you can and can't hear (how can I know that?), but I will be able to make some judgements regarding our systems' relative sensitivity to RF.

BTW, although the grid stoppers on my input tubes do have some function blocking RF, their main purpose is that same as gate stoppers on MOSFETs- prevention of oscillation. Without them, high gm tubes tend to sing their own tune.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
m.parigi said:
Jean-Paul, I'm in love with this gizmo, but I would need a larger disk size.
Having one, how would you rate the noise coming from the HD and the overall noise of the unit? Is it really whisper quiet?

No, mine isn't. You can hear the mains transformer humming slightly. Slightly too much but I have to add that most modern toroids have that phenomenon. Why were they more silent in the past ?

The noise from the 3.5" HD is hearable and my guess is that a better disk with FDB bearings might be a solution. What bothers me more is that the thing needs to boot...

The slot-in drive from Matsushita does its job fine but it "clunks"( is this english ? ) as it has a special mechanics to pull the cd in it.

All in all just a bit too noisy mostly because of mains transformer and HD. Please note I am fairly unforgiving for this machine as it smells like a computer ;) Let's say it makes notably more noise than a CD/DVD player.

Built quality is OK and operation is a breeze. The designers put care in how to operate their gear with at least effort as possible. Connectivity possibilities are quite extreme, USB 2.0, 10/100 LAN (4 ports ) and a 54 mbps 8.11g wireless transmitter.

A fine piece of good sounding audio equipment. It is a pure audio device whereas most similar machines are "multimedia" devices that focus on video with audio as a bonus. Probably best of class right now.

jean-paul said:

No, mine isn't. You can hear the mains transformer humming slightly. Slightly too much but I have to add that most modern toroids have that phenomenon. Why were they more silent in the past ?

The noise from the 3.5" HD is hearable and my guess is that a better disk with FDB bearings might be a solution. What bothers me more is that the thing needs to boot...

The slot-in drive from Matsushita does its job fine but it "clunks"( is this english ? ) as it has a special mechanics to pull the cd in it.

All in all just a bit too noisy mostly because of mains transformer and HD. Please not I am fairly unforgiving for this machine as it smells like a computer ;) Let's say it makes notably more noise than a CD/DVD player.

Built quality is OK and operation is a breeze. The designers put care in how to operate their gear with at least effort as possible. A fine piece of good sounding audio equipment. It is a pure audio device whereas most similar machines are "multimedia" devices that focus on video with audio as a bonus. Probably best of class right now.

What would be ideal for this machine is a flash drive with the os on it so when it turned on the os was there asap ( or somwhat way faster ) then use the actually laptop hard drive to store the music onto.

Dear All,

Sorry for draging this old topic back, but I was wondering something.

How would such a device work as an cd transport? Offcourse modified with reclocked s/pdif output, dedicated powersupply lines for a new digital outputstage, and a new low jitter (tentlabs) XO.

Will it be possible for example to outclass a Teac P70 :D Since such a music serve play from a buffer, it should be almost jitterless if care is taken of the I2S to S/PDIF transistion and the digital output stage. Any thoughts?

With kind regards,
Bas :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.