New Markaudio Drivers

With Navin's proyect of Kef Blade speaker style starts my interest for the Tyson V2, I make some drawings with 2cm. thinner.
Just waitin for answer to my email from Dave to see if its possible and start cutting wood.
Hi AudioMovil,

I am taking a short hiatus (travelling) from this project. My idea is to build something marginally larger than the LS60 (the target external HWD is 44" x 8" x 16" but I am open to minor changes in this if Dave, Allen and the other experts determine it's necessary). I understand from your drawings that your plans call for something that is marginally smaller than the LS60.

In my view, the Blade works because the mid-hf UniQ driver is enveloped by the 4 woofers. It's like a variation of an MTM. Using 2 woofers instead of 4 would mean that the radiation pattern will resemble an MT more than an MTM. Not that either one is superior.

Have you shortlisted your drivers? I am torn between my instinct of using a "woofer" such as the SB17CAC35 or SEAS L16RN-SL (H1480) or a subwoofer (with greater LF extension and SPL capability) like the SB23MFCL which has much more Xmax than either of the 2 woofers. I am concerned about using a "subwoofer" above 100Hz (in this case my expected crossover will be around 300Hz). What do you opine?

All 3 of these drivers are fairly linear in a small sealed box (around 12L). Using either of them in a 25-litre bass reflex box gives a QB3 (bass reflex) alignment. So I could use just 2 of them in a bass-reflex (similar to a Tysen) instead of 4 of them in sealed. I'd love to hear Dave's, Allen's and your opinion on this choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi AudioMovil,

I am taking a short hiatus (travelling) from this project. My idea is to build something marginally larger than the LS60 (the target external HWD is 44" x 8" x 16" but I am open to minor changes in this if Dave, Allen and the other experts determine it's necessary). I understand from your drawings that your plans call for something that is marginally smaller than the LS60.

In my view, the Blade works because the mid-hf UniQ driver is enveloped by the 4 woofers. It's like a variation of an MTM. Using 2 woofers instead of 4 would mean that the radiation pattern will resemble an MT more than an MTM. Not that either one is superior.

Have you shortlisted your drivers? I am torn between my instinct of using a "woofer" such as the SB17CAC35 or SEAS L16RN-SL (H1480) or a subwoofer (with greater LF extension and SPL capability) like the SB23MFCL which has much more Xmax than either of the 2 woofers. I am concerned about using a "subwoofer" above 100Hz (in this case my expected crossover will be around 300Hz). What do you opine?

All 3 of these drivers are fairly linear in a small sealed box (around 12L). Using either of them in a 25-litre bass reflex box gives a QB3 (bass reflex) alignment. So I could use just 2 of them in a bass-reflex (similar to a Tysen) instead of 4 of them in sealed. I'd love to hear Dave's, Allen's and your opinion on this choice.
Nice! Sub close to the floor give you a lot of energy. Good idea.

Hi AudioMovil,

Hi Navin, I want to start from the original Tysen V2 but sightly modified to make it look more to the LS-60, same Silver Flute W14 and markaudio midtweeter rather than Fostex, right now I am using 1 DA RS225-8 + 1 SS 10F per channel in my living room and bass and spl are more than enough for me and my neighbours hehehe, so 8 woofers it's out of the question at least for me, I think 2 W14 + 1 Alpair 5.3/MAOP 5 or P7HD/A7MS/MAOP 7 per channel are enough for my needs.
IMHO if you XO the sub around 300hz sounds stage and other stuff will be compromised, 80~300hz must be closed to the midtweeter.
But I'm no expert, that why I ask Dave.
I'm very interested on your final speakers, my inspiration for my next project.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the MAOP process is similar to that of the Accuton Ceramic?

It has been known for a long time that ceramic Accuton drivers break, it seems that due to excessive stiffness, high excursions end up damaging them irreparably.

Should we take the same care with the Markaudio MAOP?

We should avoid touching the MAOP membranes?
the Accuton drivers incorporate a protective grille from the factory.

I assume that the MAOPs have the warning device that Markaudio usually has in its drivers, although, the truth is that I have never been able to take an MA to the excursion limit, so I have never heard it.

What worries me is the resistance to touches, what may be a mark in a normal driver, may be a breakage in a MAOP.

Hi Folks,
I am looking at building a 5.x Home theatre system of modest SPL requirements (we usually listen at about 55-60dB).

I have been considering the Pluvia 7.2 HD as the driver of choice and am wondering what a suggested box design would be.
My research on these forums seems to indicate most Alpair 7.3 designs are fitting?
Would something like this be appropriate (the side mounted design on pg2)?
https://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dMar-Ken73-190216.pdf

I’m aiming for a “large bookshelf” size at most. I’m not necessarily aiming for the most extension possible (I’ll have subwoofers), but would be open to a WAW also if some applicable design exists and would make an appreciable difference to the system.

I believe the Pluvia 7.2HD will give me the most “bang for buck” in a system like this while maintaining ease of build etc, but would love to hear others thoughts on my options.

Quick seating mention for off axis dispersion. Only 3 seating positions, with the left and right basically at 10degrees of Centre speaker position. L-C-R will all be set up quite close to the wall around the TV which is wall mounted.

Thanks a heap for your time! I don’t see much discussion about home theatre on here so it’ll be great to have a discussion.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is a question i cannot answer. But they are a very good solid design, that is relatively easy to build. There could well be 3 versions as this CGR title page illustrates, so there is more placement possibilities. The P7HD is a really good allrounder and not overly pricey. Don’t let your son poke the dustcaps in :^)

CGR-cover-page.png

For centre, a dedicated box will follow (sort of like a sideways CGR with vents at both ends. They are provided free for those with P7HD FH3.

For deep bass you will need subwoofers (you should always try to have at least 2), the CGRs easily reach low enuff to provide some room out of band for the XO. Bass is quite articulate, the minionkens go for finesse and quality, not mac extension (suggest Pensil or FH3 for that).

dave

So, while in the middle of building a new surround sound system with the P7HD CG's I have decided I'm gonna bite the bullet and build 2 new speakers for my office as well. This is where I get to "spoil myself" a little and also have a lot more design freedom. I'm still aiming for a bookshelf design that's up to 25L, though I could move the desk away from the wall and put in slim depth floor standers. Placement will be close to the wall and likely on a desk top with a close listening distance. Eventually these will be moved into a more "critical listening" environment.

I'm considering MAOP 10.3 (if I can find them), MAOP 11 or do I try and go down a WAW design with MAOP 7/5 + 8" woofer or push-push 5-7" (I think push-push side mounted would integrate better at a 1m listening distance?). I'd like an f3/6 at around 40hz if possible. I'll likely go PLXO or minidsp if proceeding with a WAW. Though a passive crossover would be very convenient for taking these to show people. Maximum SPL is not critical, but a good listening experience at 60-70dB is.

Obviously, I'm looking to spend a few dollars on this, but that's what you do sometimes!

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator: