New Markaudio Drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I might be mistaken, but I doubt that will happen. AFAIK this driver utilises an existing basket. I don't think they've got the money to create a brand new square basket specifically for this purpose

I would be surprised if this basket is not choosen out of one of the huge catalogs of a Chinese basket manufacturer. It is highly likely that a rectangular basket is also in this catalog. Unlike the A5x which would indeed invoke considerable tooling charges.

But as an example — before i got the number from Stefan — i did a quick & nasty sketch based on the A5x. By Stefan’s number the CHN50 is 2mm larger (by the factry drawing 3mm)

attachment.php

I suspect it might only take an order of 1000 units to fullfill this option.

And a snapshot of my samples. It is clear from the dimple in the P7HD that this is not exactly like the A7.3 (A7.3 with P7 dustup?).

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• 100419-MA-samples.jpg
    100419-MA-samples.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 846
  • rect-v-round-2x50mm-MA.png
    rect-v-round-2x50mm-MA.png
    34 KB · Views: 1,397
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I took the calipers to the CHN-50 and have tweaked the diagram above for the cast basket driver.

attachment.php

1000/60 = 17 or more people.

I also figured out that if i flip the baffles inside out i coan easily surface mount the CHN-50.

dave

Attachments

• CHN-50-on-uMK+baffle.jpg
    CHN-50-on-uMK+baffle.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 165
  • rect-v-round-2x50mm-CHN50.gif
    rect-v-round-2x50mm-CHN50.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 922
Dave, the basket is definately made in house, the wider company Telefield make loads of drivers for other applications so they are basically the company that would have a catalogue full of stuff. I don't think it's likely we'll see an MA square driver from the company any time soon as for most folk they are a bit of a turn off. All that said your numbers would work well for a group buy and I'd be happy to persuade the factory to make a thousand if we could get a group buy off the ground. Scott mentioned the other day designing a line array although it looks like you've got your grey matter churning it over already ��

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a mock up of 28 CHN-50R. I have increased the height to the nearest 5mm.

attachment.php

1.5-2 litre sealed will give you ~ 140 Hz second order to an array of woofers (or some EQ to take it lower, est 10 dB @ 80Hz to bring it up to an 80 Hz woofer, 6 dB @ 100Hz) … 2.5 litre vented could take you to 80 Hz 4th order (but would likely want some sort of electrical HP for safety). The latter would be best done as individual enclosures. That could invoke the use of a 3D printer to manufacture the back of the baffle structure.

dave

Attachments

• CHN-50R-lineArray-teaset.png
    CHN-50R-lineArray-teaset.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,199
Disabled Account
Joined 2017

Thanks for the updated 7PHD data. This driver looks to be perfect for people like me that must use a super-tweeter anyway. As many have already read; I modified my Alpair 7P's with doping adhesive to reduce harshness in the top 2 octaves and to minimize some HF ringing. I'm guessing the 7PHD will have fixed all of those issues which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! The proof will be in the upper reaches of the violin overtones and harmonics. The 7P untreated just had a very irritating and extremely annoying falseness when presented with these types of complex high frequency signals. The doping did not completely eliminate this but it made a very significant improvement! I have a Fostex T90A super-tweeter and also an AC G3Si high output ribbon. Regardless of any midrange or fullrange driver I may using or trying at the time; I must use either of these tweeters for the top octave...The joys of being 60+...Thanks again...Cheers! (It occurs to me that most older Japanese jazz and classical listeners will also most likely be using a Fostex super-tweeter with the 7PHD. They probably had this idea all along when when given the opportunity to help select and fine tune the most desirable fullrange parameters; that is certainly what I have been wishing and hoping for!)

I've had a word with Evan and he's going to update the data sheets with the FR graphs on a standardised 100dB vertical graph scale. I gather it should have been on that; LMS had gone to a default scale setting and nobody (including me, as was asked to look at the data sheets in advance) noticed the damn thing had changed, even though it should have been leaping off the page. Sigh. This is what you get when you're juggling a dozen things at once.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I posted the official 'final' graphs and data sheets further up the thread. Check them out.

Yes, I saw those already; thanks! It's interesting to look at the Japanese page because you can get it to translate to English. The write up is unique; I have not (yet) seen the exact same description anywhere on an English language site. This jives with what I wanted and have been saying all along; an updated version of the Alpair 7P with refinements and "fixes" to what I felt held the 7P back from being a "true" world class all around performer. If you read elsewhere; you would find my "fixes" for the 7P involving doping the cone with a tacky adhesive. I won't bore others with the details once again but the doping greatly improved the top 2 octaves of the 7P from very annoying artificial harshness and HF ringing. My hopes are that the P7PHD has everything well under control now from the Alpair 7P. As always; I must use a super-tweeter anyway so the high end roll off is actually preferred (as opposed to rising and ringing!)