New Markaudio Drivers

It's just an ML horn. Nothing to see here.

ML horns are fine in principle, although the design methodology employed in this case isn't one I'd use myself as it doesn't (can't) provide the kind of alignments I generally target and favour. It's a fairly common type of method in Japan though, and very much in line with the kind of alignments and goals popular there, which often differ significantly from those elsewhere, especially the West, so should be understood within that context.

Edit: what a terrible piece of description that is. In mine own defence, it's currently 0243 here, and I've had about 3 hours sleep total out of the last 80.

Last edited:
OK time to ask the experts here a pressing question (ok pressing for me but maybe not for you). I am very keen to build out a design idea I've have of a sealed full range over a band pass bass cabinet. When I first thought this up I was thinking the Alpair 7.3 would be perfect. Now these two new comers are about to arrive at Madison. A precious few of you here have heard them. Can you give any advice of on either of these versus the 7.3 for a sealed application that will have. I respect your opinions otherwise I wouldn't be asking. :)

My intention is to let the Alpair run full range with the sealed enclosure effectively becoming the crossover and bringing in the bandpass woofer below that, thus any kind of crossover is really done in the acoustic domain. Not really a unique idea as I had the pleasure of once listening with David and Eveanna Manley to a speaker of David's design that was done in a similar way.

Even using the most costly materials that wont be possible sax512, and the doppler effect from a driver doing huge extension will create an unlistenable sound quality. A driver that is able to go that low usally weigh too much to reproduce 12-13kHz. Room bass nodes is a serious problem going below 40hz, and its much better to use multiple subs to stop the room nodes of getting way to excessive. I would much prefer 70Hz to 17kHz with wide dispersion and high sensitivity, and beeing able to play loud without distortion. Making a fullranger that does this is almost impossible..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I agree the 5.3 looks great on the graph but I also wonder about "no replacement for displacement" as part of what makes a system have that "you are there" or "they are here" kind of experience.

Add a woofer(s). It would be doable to replace the midTweeter in every WAW we have done with A5.2 with only the loss of maximum level or move the XO up a bit
A5.3 is a surprise, and either a Japan only product, or they are playing with improvements learned from the A7/11ms… the A5.2 is already very good, an improved one would be icing on the cake.

But for situations where deep loud bass is not needed (or desired) the A5x is a superb performer.

uMar-Ken52.jpg

Scott has sent me a BabyLab for the new driver, i have yet to look to see what they look like in a miniOnken.

dave