New Linkwitz "LXmini" speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2001
The LX Studio is certainly an option, but it increases the system cost greatly.
I've outlined a simple/cheap closed-box woofer augmentation for the LXmini system on the OPLUG forum that gives the LXmini's a decent bottom end and increases the SPL capability of the system somewhat.
Even with a large sub-woofer augmentation, the LXmini system will never be suitable for "disco-like" or similar "high-energy" reproduction. It was not designed for that purpose. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

one wonders if a speaker with a significantly bigger low end driver (a 10incher maybe?) and a similar dispersion pattern would have been a true kick a-- :rolleyes:?

What about two or more identical MR pipes & drivers next to each other. That should increase Lo's & Mid's somewhat. Still not industrial strength though ...:)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

How about a CLD construction using a metric 110mm PVC pipe wrapped in 5mm thick bitumen dampening sheet then slot that inside a Schedule80 5" PVC pipe?
This leaves a 0.55mm gap but this could easilly be filled with sheet material or glue/filler.
The 110mm pipe would then protrude out of the 5" pipe, the rubber couppler would be fitted to this 110mm pipe as usual.

LXMiniCLD.jpg

So far so good. But in listening tests I stuck my ear to the side of the pipe and was quite annoyed at the amount of sound radiating from it. ( I wonder if there would be more or less from a 4" pipe...? ) I tamed it using acoustic treatment material similar to that for cars but intended for roofing insulation - the kind that has a metal foil on one side and a tar-like substance on the other - cheap at the hardware store. - I put it on both the inside and outside and am happy with the results so far :)

Last edited:
"How about a CLD construction using a metric 110mm PVC pipe wrapped in 5mm thick bitumen dampening sheet then slot that inside a Schedule80 5" PVC pipe?"

I think people might have difficulty procuring everything outside the U.S. In Ecuador where I live ( I moved from Chicago to avoid the rush...) and probably other countries as well, the standard PVC wall thickness is half that of Schedule 80. So only a 1/8" wall separates me from the backwave.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are making a double wall tube it might be effective and slightly easier to fill the void between them with expanding foam. You mix the 2 parts then pour it in. It will probably spew out the top, which is what you want to avoid voids, so taping a plug in the open top
to keep the foam out is a good idea. Then when hard clean up with a razor knife and sanding block..

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
well it will glue to both surfaces, which is good, and it should be very rigid, with the pvc on each side- like a surfboard. The stiffness should drive any resonances up well above the midranges operating frequency. But I don't know- it would take an experiment, and it seems like you could do it!

I may give it a go, I will use the bitumen sheet as I have a 1.5m x 1.0m 5mm sheet which I have for use with other speaker projects.
I find putting it in the oven for a few minutes helps soften it up which will help when wrapping the pipe, pongs a bit though.

Only problem is being able to provide useful measureable data.

Koja I think you just described the LX Mini Studio which adds a pair of open baffle subwoofers with double 10" drivers each.

not sure if it is a sub only that is required. btw I am about to add one of my own and find out. my subjective impression was more directed at the driver atop the tube to be larger, to support higher in freq into lower-mid instruments and vocals in the more complex musical pieces where they compete for that radiating surface. I know some will suggest that LX521 with its lower-upper mid combo should be the answer (and it may very well be), but that is a true dipole all the way down where LXMini may have something special going on with that mono to cardioid to dipole change which may be worth additionaly exploring with bigger drivers? not sure how the top could keep up with the added output level of the bottom driver but I really started with sharing a subjective impression only; so it is not about a speaker design recommendation per se. only to say that there is a big difference between listening to simpler pieces (like jazz vocals which I fortunately listen to), and more demanding pieces like broadway, upbeat pieces with chorus voices, some latino bands etc.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Koja - There is also a dual 10" sealed subwoofer project for the LXmini... by all reports it's fantastic, I haven't done it yet, but it's in the queue of things to do.

Of course, the LX Studio should have enough oomph to flap your pants, it's the same woofer system as the LX521, and that's just spectacular.

"my subjective impression was more directed at the driver atop the tube to be larger, to support higher in freq into lower-mid instruments and vocals in the more complex musical pieces where they compete for that radiating surface."

The MR driver was specially designed for SL by Seas. Doubt if you'd be able to find anything better. I am wondering though if doubling it per side might help. I understand that this might compromise the imaging somewhat...

There is also an inexpensive (well, very inexpensive) alternative to the Studio woofers on the forum website, utilizing two Peerless woofers and two flat-pack boxes from Parts Express. Designed by Davey, by the way.

THIS is a "forum website", there are many. Could you please name which website you are talking about at least, if you can't be troubled to include a link?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I may be wrong but I believe Siegfried said that the LX Studio has more midrange impact than the LX521. Overall it isn't as loud as the 521, but that driver in the Mini/Studio has quite a bit of travel...so might be just fine.

He also tend to have his speakers turned up pretty loud for most demos. Close to "live" levels.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Mark,

You're repeating yourself now. I think you need to retire. :)

To me, the LX Studio system is somewhat of an enigma.
It's quite a bit of extra money to create a bass region SPL capability not commensurate with the SPL limitations of the LX mini speaker.
The LX mini is a terrific speaker, but you're not going to play really loud, regardless of whether you mate a subwoofer(s) and steer bass away from it.

My intention was to offer a simple closed-box woofer augmentation that could be added very easily/inexpensively. It's not appropriate for HT usage if your intention is to bang the walls with LFE content, but for typical music reproduction it does an excellent job.

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.