New Idea For Reflective Projector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm, thread seems to have been dead for over a week but if I'm bored so I'll throw in my 2 cents. Looking at the most recent projector design posted I would have to say that it will not work. As has been said before you are indeed trying to use light to filter light. The light from the LCD shines onto the mirror making an image on the mirror (if you use some sort of special glass like that HUD stuff). Shining light through this will indeed just make your image more washed out and likely nonexistent as LR said. I still think that ace was talking about something different. (If this is what you meant ace then I stand corrected.)

Unless someone can show me a schematic to the contrary then I'm led to believe that the plus projectors do not work this way. Seems to me that they probably work by shining a very bright light onto the object that is being projected and then taking what light is reflected (though significantly reduced by most objects since they aren't that reflective) and collecting that to be projected back onto the screen. This is not at all what jake's projector design does.

I still don't get the picture

snowman,

I don't see how that picture will result in a projected image.

How does the light get from the panel (after reflecting off of it) and through the glass/mirror arrangement and out to the screen?

What I DO see:

Light goes from the lamp through the mirror. Some light reflects down to the panel and some goes out the lens directly.

Some light (after bouncing off of the panel) goes back to the lens.

Some light (after bouncing off of the panel) goes through the mirror and hits the top of the box.

No light (after bouncing off of the panel) goes out the lens and toward the screen.

Can you draw a path with numbers showing how the light gets from the lamp to the screen?

It looks like you are trying to project an image onto the mirror, and shine a light THROUGH that to get an image. If that's the case, it won't work. You can't modulate light by shining it through an image on a pane of glass or a mirror.

What am I (still) missing here?

plus projectors dont work that way and we know if u'd bothered to read the previous posts -

the paper etc. sits on glass at the top and under is a mirror on a 45 deg angle. now there are also two halogen lights pointing at mirrors mounted on the internal wall.

that means that when u light in from the top all you can see is mirrors and 2 lights

____
Jake
____

Ok so the great minds here have established wht seems to have been obvious from the start. A mirror can't be reflective and transmissive at the same time. You can't project a reflection, which is essntially a projection itself.

Why is this thread still sticky? It seems like a dead weight at the top of the forum, and a waste of time to read through(mostly).

Just my 2 cents...

New inventions come from people with crazy idee's. And DIY (to me) means: try and experiment. This reflective design looks crazy and doomed to fail. But don't hit on people because they think differend. There are enough examples in history of people who where laught at, but later proven to be right.

edit
And look at this abstract of an article:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ok the article itself is rather difficult. (I have it if you want it, pdf)

What i think about this idea..

ok i didnt read the whole thread and i am a newbie here ( less than two days methinks)
;)
so perhaps i dont carry much weight in terms of opinion or expertese as others on this site.:rolleyes:
but based on the diagram on the first page of the thread i think you can project an LCD display with the lighht comming from elsewhere.. as illustrated....:angel: its a txt file.. a bitmap was too large

i base this on the fact that glass has a total refractive index or reflective index.. in otherwords.. if you tilt the glass enough then the light from the lcd display would totally relect from the glass onto the screen and the light from the lamp would go though with no reflection as it isnt on the same angle.. know what i mean??
i donno its my 2 cents.
only problem i can think of is that the LCD may not be too bright and the way ive drawn it.. you may as well have a normal CDL projector as the others.. :hot:

balal

Attachments

• 2centstxt.txt
    439 bytes · Views: 140
Light through mirror

Hey Jake
I am agree with your consent that it is hard to desection a Complete 5" LCD monitor/tv like liliput or others.
In that case I am also seeking miror to pass through light on a reflective type.
Still to find nothing.
I prefer reflective type and I have made a diagram attached herewith for your valuable comments.
Though it is not tested yet.
Pls comment

regards
raquibul :confused:

Attachments

• lcd scatch1.jpg
    lcd scatch1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 870
Hey. Did anyone consider putting a backlight on the reflective piece and lighting with low but high color temp bulbs? I have attached a photo to show my idea that i think complies to all of yours. If you could find something that will adjust the keystone/pitch of the reflection, it could work perhaps?

Double Reflect the Light

Hi All

The reflection Idea is superb, but you should know what is happening to keep on going in the right direction. It will work and give results, but using a pass through mirror will stick you to bad pictures, due to many reasons.

Talking about the mechanism of reflection through this mirror is simple:-

1-The light passes through the mirror.
2 the light reflects of the LCD.
3 the light reflects on the mirror.

The light passing through the mirror doesn’t contribute to the picture brightness (According to physics), but the increase of the light delivered to the LCD itself does enhance the picture brightness.

How to go around this entire blablabla?
The answer is simple and easy to do.

All what you have to do is to double reflect the light. You will only need one high quality normal mirror. Put the mirror the normal way 45 degree to the LCD. Put the light source so that the mirror reflects its light to the LCD. The reflected light from the LCD will reflect back (on the same mirror) in a superb way. You only need to adjust the light source location and angle, that not to block the picture nor to under light parts from the LCD.

The rest is easy.
Good luck
:nod:

I agree this thread is dead weight because most of the ideas have no basis in reality. I love the guy that says so and so is true "according to physics" with no explanation of the what the hell he means. LOL

However reflecting projection is real and it is used by 2 modern technologies DLP and LCOS.

LCOS is the best and it reflects light off the LCD! The problem is waiting for LCOS panels to get out there so we can get our mits on them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.