• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

If using generic volumio 2, not the special kernel from clivem, you may have more luck selecting "RPi-DAC I2S driver".

This one sets output to 24 bits audio and standard 64fs bitclock. (Which is what DDDAC is designed for)
It should work better with allo reclocker too

mp3 plays in stereo but flac only mono.
Typically, mp3 are decoded to 24 bit pcm. But 16 bit flac are... 16 bit pcm :D

Last edited:
I have recieved my Kali and rpi3 and am now testing it with volumio 2 connected to a dddac with the pcm1794.

I ran into the problem that it puts out mono signal on flac files, mp3 plays in stereo but flac only mono. This makes it fairly useless for my 99% flac music collection :(

I am a linux-software noob but I understand this can be solved by using the right drivers-kernel? I just need to know how to do it on volumio 2.

Is there anyone that can help me fix this?

The problem is missing 24 Bit output, has imho nothing to do with FLAC (but I guess your FLAC files are with 16Bit format and are therefore played with 16bit). DDDAC needs 24 Bit signals. With Odroid and Volumio 2 standard installation, the redbook audio (44.1K / 16Bit) is played with 24 Bit, so everything works fine with my Odroid setup. But I have faced the same problem in the past with Volumio 1 and RPI B+. I think you would face the same problem without Kali in chain. The problem has imho nothing to do with Kali. What you can do is to force 24Bit Output with resampling option with modified mpd.conf.

Attached you can find the needed changes in mpd.conf to force 24Bit output. Note that you have to adapt sample frequency to your audio files format to not have a resampling but only 24Bit instead of 16Bit output. In my example the sample frequency is 44.1k...

Attachments

• mpd.png
    mpd.png
    25 KB · Views: 508
Hi. I have the Sparky / Kali / Piano Dac 2.1 with Ubuntu 12 prerecorded by Allo in memory eMMC version. Ubuntu does not recognize Piano 2.1 as audio output device. Can somebody help me?

On the other hand with Rpi 2B and Volumio is an audio system of extraordinary value, it is necessary to pay many times the price to improve it and still can live perfectly with this system powered by a linear power supply. Congratulations to Csdgames and his team.

Last edited:
If using generic volumio 2, not the special kernel from clivem, you may have more luck selecting "RPi-DAC I2S driver".

This one sets output to 24 bits audio and standard 64fs bitclock. (Which is what DDDAC is designed for)
It should work better with allo reclocker too

Typically, mp3 are decoded to 24 bit pcm. But 16 bit flac are... 16 bit pcm :D

I can concur that using this RPI-DAC I2S driver solved my redbook Audio related problems with RPI-Kali-DDDAC combination. I'm using Moode Audio 2.7 as player sw. It was an easy fix for me, as I didn't have to tamper with Linux code at all.

Attached you can find the needed changes in mpd.conf to force 24Bit output. Note that you have to adapt sample frequency to your audio files format to not have a resampling but only 24Bit instead of 16Bit output. In my example the sample frequency is 44.1k...

Hi,

Yes it is only on 16bit flac files, all 24bit files are playing fine.

Thank you for the tip, this works!

I assume on top of the 16bit it is filled with 8 zeros up to a 24bit word? Or is the file resampled to 24 bit?

Regards,

Stefan

I can concur that using this RPI-DAC I2S driver solved my redbook Audio related problems with RPI-Kali-DDDAC combination. I'm using Moode Audio 2.7 as player sw. It was an easy fix for me, as I didn't have to tamper with Linux code at all.

I have got it fixed now but am stil curious how this would be implemented. How can I select RPI-DAC I2S driver? It is not visible in the audio output, dac model, pull down menu.

I have got it fixed now but am stil curious how this would be implemented. How can I select RPI-DAC I2S driver? It is not visible in the audio output, dac model, pull down menu.
Strange, Volumio 2 seems to know it:
{"id":"rpi-dac","name":"R-PI DAC","overlay":"rpi-dac","alsanum":"1","mixer":"Digital","modules":"","script":"","needsreboot":"yes"}

In this file, which should be used by the pull down menu:
https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2.../plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes it is only on 16bit flac files, all 24bit files are playing fine.

Thank you for the tip, this works!

I assume on top of the 16bit it is filled with 8 zeros up to a 24bit word? Or is the file resampled to 24 bit?

Regards,

Stefan

A slightly better solution would be to use this:

Code:
format          "*:24:*"

This way you don't mess with the sampling rate, only with the bit depth. And yes, going from 16bits to 24bits means padding with zeroes, so no actual re-sampling is performed.

I like the Crystek , but I think the decision to upgrade its not an easy one..
My recommendation ..not really worth it as far as "bang for the buck"...worth it for an extra 1% (maybe) is SQ

We are using NZ2520SD45.158 NZ2520SD49.152

A question for Ioan.

Would the Crystek CCHD-957 be a worthwhile upgrade to Kali? What NDK clocks do you use on the board?

Curiosity won again, waiting for my kali. Looking forward to play around with it.:cheers:

Sorry for the late reply guys.
The spdif input (I never liked the quality of SPdif format, must be that Sony is fighting Philips in this protocol;-) is split into I2s with the wm8804, so you can cut the output and connect i2s directly.
Hehe I guess that's a solution but I like the option of connecting my cdplayer to the dddac. :)

Hi,
sorry for the late response. My setup is Odroid C2 -> Kali -> DDDAC. DDDAC is powered with choke PSU (Lundahl 1694 in LCLC setup). Kali is also powered with this source. Odroid is powered with DDDAC standard PSU with Rcore. I've a single decker with tent regs and CCS mod and Silmic caps on the DAC board. The Kali is is a very good upgrade. The stage becomes more defined and better microdynamics. Everything sounds more real and subtle. I've also tested the same setup with additional isolator between odroid and Kali to prevent the ground connection between Odroid and Kali. I'm using the IL715 for that. Unfortunately this was not running from beginning. Had to add some resistors in the wires between isolator and Kali to get kali to Lock mode. But I cannot hear differences between with and without isolator in this setup.
Sounds like a nice setup. Have you measured the power draw of the kail? I'm thinking of powering my single decker and the kail with a stock dddac 12v psu (kali thru the 12V reg on the main board).
Did you notice any difference in SQ by changing the odroid psu? I have not had the chance to test it yet, and are currently using the stock odroid psu.

Curiosity won again, waiting for my kali. Looking forward to play around with it.:cheers:

Hehe I guess that's a solution but I like the option of connecting my cdplayer to the dddac. :)

Sounds like a nice setup. Have you measured the power draw of the kail? I'm thinking of powering my single decker and the kail with a stock dddac 12v psu (kali thru the 12V reg on the main board).
Did you notice any difference in SQ by changing the odroid psu? I have not had the chance to test it yet, and are currently using the stock odroid psu.

Depending on your cdplayer it might be able to put out i2s directly from the loader.
Kali needs 5v not 12v.

I have not measured current draw of kali but it should be around 100ma. I drive kali with 5v from Mainboard LDO whoch is feeded by choke psu. I have added a cooling rib to this LDO because it gets warmer with attached kali. Maybe you can also use a separate LDO. I think dddac psu is a good source for ODROID. don't think a choke psu is needed for that.I have never tested another psu on odroid, but I think you should use a clean source like dddac psu because you have ground connection between odroid and kali when not using a separate isolator.