• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Looking forward to more information on this. I too have an DDDAC and is currently using runeaudio running on an Odroid C2 connected to the DDDAC by i2s.
I'm thinking about introducing a reclocker and or isolator between the Odroid and the DDDAC. Manly been looking at Kali and Ians solution. And have to say that the Kali looks promising as a bang for buck solution (and I like bang for buck solutions :)), but as it's aimed at the rpi I have to rewire/mod it to work with the Odroid.

How did you wire up the Kali to to Odriod?
Any fancy PSU to power the Odroid/Kali?
Have you done any measurements on the output (by scope or other tools) or is it by ear? Tried to removing it again to verify the SQ changes?

What mods have you done to the DDDAC? I'm running blue mainborad with one dac board and Audio Note tantalum I/V resistors and find it quite good.

Why not buy an extra rpi and connect it to the second input on the blue board of the dddac? I have done this with bbb-cronos-hermes and rpi-kali (kali to be delivered) easy to switch between botic and volumio.

tantalums are a great improvement on the dac, did you try the tent shunts? or do you use the new dac board?

Why not buy an extra rpi and connect it to the second input on the blue board of the dddac? I have done this with bbb-cronos-hermes and rpi-kali (kali to be delivered) easy to switch between botic and volumio.

tantalums are a great improvement on the dac, did you try the tent shunts? or do you use the new dac board?

Yes I'm thinking about doing that, just try to gather information first to keep the costs down (lots of stuff to try and a bit limited on time/money), as the rpi is a low cost device guess I'll find some use for it anyways :)
The reason for choosing the Odroid was the ability to play 4k video and some extra processing power to play with.
Modding the Kali to work with the Odroid should be OK.

I'm running the new dac board, with shunt and ccs. thinking of trying oscons or upgrading the psu as the next experiment. I did test it battery powered and I think that improved the SQ a bit, tighter more focused bass beeing the main advantage.

I think it's only one i2s input on the blue main borad (one i2s and one spdif)?

Sorry for going into the off topic grey zone.

Yes I'm thinking about doing that, just try to gather information first to keep the costs down (lots of stuff to try and a bit limited on time/money), as the rpi is a low cost device guess I'll find some use for it anyways :)
The reason for choosing the Odroid was the ability to play 4k video and some extra processing power to play with.
Modding the Kali to work with the Odroid should be OK.

I'm running the new dac board, with shunt and ccs. thinking of trying oscons or upgrading the psu as the next experiment. I did test it battery powered and I think that improved the SQ a bit, tighter more focused bass beeing the main advantage.

I think it's only one i2s input on the blue main borad (one i2s and one spdif)?

Sorry for going into the off topic grey zone.

The spdif input (I never liked the quality of SPdif format, must be that Sony is fighting Philips in this protocol;-) is split into I2s with the wm8804, so you can cut the output and connect i2s directly.

Looking forward to more information on this. I too have an DDDAC and is currently using runeaudio running on an Odroid C2 connected to the DDDAC by i2s.
I'm thinking about introducing a reclocker and or isolator between the Odroid and the DDDAC. Manly been looking at Kali and Ians solution. And have to say that the Kali looks promising as a bang for buck solution (and I like bang for buck solutions :)), but as it's aimed at the rpi I have to rewire/mod it to work with the Odroid.

How did you wire up the Kali to to Odriod?
Any fancy PSU to power the Odroid/Kali?
Have you done any measurements on the output (by scope or other tools) or is it by ear? Tried to removing it again to verify the SQ changes?

What mods have you done to the DDDAC? I'm running blue mainborad with one dac board and Audio Note tantalum I/V resistors and find it quite good.

Hi,
sorry for the late response. My setup is Odroid C2 -> Kali -> DDDAC. DDDAC is powered with choke PSU (Lundahl 1694 in LCLC setup). Kali is also powered with this source. Odroid is powered with DDDAC standard PSU with Rcore. I've a single decker with tent regs and CCS mod and Silmic caps on the DAC board. The Kali is is a very good upgrade. The stage becomes more defined and better microdynamics. Everything sounds more real and subtle. I've also tested the same setup with additional isolator between odroid and Kali to prevent the ground connection between Odroid and Kali. I'm using the IL715 for that. Unfortunately this was not running from beginning. Had to add some resistors in the wires between isolator and Kali to get kali to Lock mode. But I cannot hear differences between with and without isolator in this setup.

Hi,
sorry for the late response. My setup is Odroid C2 -> Kali -> DDDAC. DDDAC is powered with choke PSU (Lundahl 1694 in LCLC setup). Kali is also powered with this source. Odroid is powered with DDDAC standard PSU with Rcore. I've a single decker with tent regs and CCS mod and Silmic caps on the DAC board. The Kali is is a very good upgrade. The stage becomes more defined and better microdynamics. Everything sounds more real and subtle. I've also tested the same setup with additional isolator between odroid and Kali to prevent the ground connection between Odroid and Kali. I'm using the IL715 for that. Unfortunately this was not running from beginning. Had to add some resistors in the wires between isolator and Kali to get kali to Lock mode. But I cannot hear differences between with and without isolator in this setup.

That is a very nice dac setup! You have followed the dddac thread in detail;-) This dac wil portray all small upgrades you put in front of it.
I have also run the rpi with acko reclocker/isolation board and am curious as to the performance of Kali in comparison. Still waiting for the package to arrive though................

Hello,
my first test with Raspberry Pi 2- Kali-Piano 2.1
I'm using Runeaudio.
My usual front end is composed by :
Cubietruck + Runeaudio => I2S => DAM 1021 => biamped dipole speakers

1st test:
Raspberry Pi 2 + Runeaudio => Piano 2.1
works well like my ES9023 I2s Dac. Normal life and air. Correct for the money.
2nd test:
Raspberry Pi 2 + Runeaudio => Kali => Piano 2.1 Better life and air. It's easy to ear the difference. Very good value for money.

Raspberry is powered by linear LM1085 PSU
Kali and Piano 2.1 are powered by Salas shunt PSU clone

At the moment, Cubietruck + Runeaudio => I2S => DAM 1021 are at another level of life, air and space but my next step will be:
Raspberry Pi 2 + Runeaudio => Kali => Dam 1021
and may be:
Raspberry Pi 2 + Runeaudio => Kali => Diyinhk PCM1704 DAC

See you soon.
Ciao
Guglielmo

Attachments

• pP_20161101_174454.jpg
    pP_20161101_174454.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 502
  • pP_20161101_180324.jpg
    pP_20161101_180324.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 492
and it works, you need to enable compatibility with piano dac that default it is off.

Csdgames, I hope I can help, I sent two private messages and have no answer: I bought the piano dac 2.1 but I received the dac piano, although in the shipping box piano put dac 2.1. can you help me?

Thanks

I am having issue runing picore 3.02 rpi3b-> Kali -> hifiberry digi+ pro-> external dac. I have supplied digi+ with 3.3V Ps as well as set it to slave mode.

I can't get any sound out of it. Any would be appreciated.

The Digi+ Pro has no option to set as slave i.e. you cannot add a parameter to the overlay "'slave". Unless that is there have been some changes by HiFiBerry recently. I don't even know if the hardware is capable of it. Probably best to check with HiFiBerry directly.

There was a version of the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro drivers that allowed set up as slave but only in Clive's repo - which has since been removed.

So as it stands I would not be surprised that there is no output.

DIYINHK compared the phase noise measurements of the NDK NZ2520SD and the CCHD-957, and the NDK came out on top in the audio band. I wonder why the NDK is so much cheaper?

I read somewhere about a compare of the 2, if I recall noise isn't the only criteria to compare and the CCHD-957 comes out on top overall.

I like the NDK ones (and the price) and have used them quite a lot - fun to solder tho!

Last edited:
i had quite a few frustrations trying to solder-unsolder these.

i ended-up soldering them in an upward position with only two pads sitting directly on the board, and the two remaining ones connected via tiny wires.

wayyyyyy easier!

My method is to lightly pre solder the 4 pads on the oscillator, pre-solder one pad on the PCB. Position then reflow the pre-soldered pad then a dab of solder on the other 3 pads. Done about 4 of them like that now. All with a very fine soldering tip and magnifying glass of course.

Last edited:
I have recieved my Kali and rpi3 and am now testing it with volumio 2 connected to a dddac with the pcm1794.

I ran into the problem that it puts out mono signal on flac files, mp3 plays in stereo but flac only mono. This makes it fairly useless for my 99% flac music collection :(

I am a linux-software noob but I understand this can be solved by using the right drivers-kernel? I just need to know how to do it on volumio 2.

Is there anyone that can help me fix this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 492
Last edited: