• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

The Mamboberry DACs will require a mod to run in sync mod, but it is a minor one (at least in my world!).

If you look at the great picture Soundcheck posted of the MBLS in his thread on the DAC, you'll see just to the left of the clock a 51R1 resistor. The top pad of that resistor goes to the MCLK pin on the DAC (pin 13). You remove that resistor, then connect from the MCLK pin from the Kali to either the top pad of the resistor (ok) or directly to the MCLK pin 13 (better, but requires even bettery SMD soldering skills). Best to use a section of the coax from a u.fl cable, making sure to connect the ground close to where you solder each end. You might even be able to fit in a u.fl socket at that pad and the pad for the MCLK pin from the Kali on the expansion area of the MBLS.

If you like it, un-power the clock by cutting the 5v power trace to the input of the clock's regulator. See the rendering of the clock section of the circuit board that VASILIST posted. Do that right at the regulator and you can easily re-engage the on-board clock by scrapping off some of the mask at the regulator input lead, doing a small solder bridge to re-power the regulator and clock, removing your MCLK connecting cable, and replacing that 51R1 resistor.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. This works about the same way with the original Mamboberry, the resistor is a 100R instead of 51R1 and you are cutting the clock power trace right at the local reservoir capacitor, but otherwise it is functionally the same. My mod list for the Mamboberry's will include this.

Thanks for that Greg. I'll take a look and decide if I dare to go there. :D

John

Thanks for that Greg. I'll take a look and decide if I dare to go there.

John, whilst it might offend Gregs audiophile sensibilities, if you just want a to dip a toe in the water before you mod your Mambo by cutting traces, drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a HIFIMEDIY board with a jumper so you can switch between on-board 50MHz Foxconn and external MCLK (from Kali Pin 29).

Attachments

• IMG_20161020_172422846_800.jpg
    IMG_20161020_172422846_800.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 389
Joined 2003
Paid Member
John, whilst it might offend Gregs audiophile sensibilities, if you just want a to dip a toe in the water before you mod your Mambo by cutting traces, drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a HIFIMEDIY board with a jumper so you can switch between on-board 50MHz Foxconn and external MCLK (from Kali Pin 29).

Sensibilities not offended, John, if you take this offer up I'll be very curious to hear what you have to report.

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Bart, I use the 2 pin header next to the power socket (I didn't have anything to fit either, and continuity buzzed out as connected) It's dead easy to get the polarity reversed so be careful!

The Kali power barrel is 5.5/2.5 rather than the more usual 5.5/2.1......

Simon and Clive, thanks for the quick response, i will try the 2-pin header.

Bart

In the first mambo DAC ( not dedicate HAT board ) it was possible to chance external or internal oscillator source , but in a dedicate for RPI there is no reason for something like that , practical there is not reclock or something ... in the street

not even master clock .. from RPI :D

The synchronous " way " its always prefer ... but the master oscillator mast have good specification ;)

kisses in the face !!!

That's a very nice offer Clive, and clearly Greg didn't fall into a faint :spin:, so I'll send you a PM.

John

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's a very nice offer Clive, and clearly Greg didn't fall into a faint :spin:, so I'll send you a PM.

John

Hey, I'm glad for you two to try it first... very curious how it goes. To be truthful, I have never personally run an ESS DAC in sync mode... I've got a couple of projects near completion where I'll be doing that, but I keep getting sidetracked onto these easy projects. So I am VERY curious to hear how it goes.

VASILIST, glad to see you are still watching here. I have plotted some extreme mods to my Mamboberry and will post what I am planning along with some questions for you in Soundcheck's MBLS thread when I get some time in the next few days.

I'm hoping to take it up a couple of notches.

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
Another day...another delay from TI. We apologize to everyone that has a Piano 2.1

Latest communication from TI

As an update I have pinged our legal department again today and am still awaiting a response. There is an internal corporate approval process for such requests and so unfortunately it is currently out of my hands until I get a response. I have stressed the importance and so hopefully hear back shortly. Thanks for your patience. Thanks, J.

Today i received the Kali reclocker, after ordering it last monday @ the Volumio webshop. Hooked it up this evening and was blown away by first results, but more on the soundquality side of things later. For now just a short list of my config, because i think others can bennefit from the things i learned.

I'm running piCoreplayer v3.02 on a rpi2, stacked with kali reclocker. Linear 5v, 1Amp power to kali and pi through kali, connected to the +/- pins next to the regular power barral. I2S signal goes from Kali GPIO to an I2S over HDMI module that's powered by its own 3.3 V 1Amp linear powerline. The hdmi module is connected to my external Pink Faun I2S dac via a short hdmi cable. To only audio output driver in piCore that works is the I2S GENERIC. I'v tested material from basic mp3's to 24bit 192khz, all without any problem.

First impression: wider, more layers, nice piece of hardware.

Must admit I'm impressed with the sound of my IQ Audio DAC+, so I was interested to hear what sort of concerns people had. Whether it was hardware, support from TI or SQ or whatever.

I am tempted to go with the Kalo and Piano 2.1 because I would like to implement a 2nd order 120Hz high pass and an 80Hz 2nd order + 120Hz 2nd order low pass in the DSP. Does anyone know if the extra 2nd order filter in the low pass will cause a latency problem compared to the high pass?

I find that in terms of sound quality, the Kali+Piano 2.0 definitely betters the IQAudio DAC+.

Don't disagree with that. The thing is that more (rather than less) people who have compared ES9023 boards/HATs to the PCM5xxx stuff, usually end up with a preference for the former.

I can pick out a PCM5xxx DAC in a blind listening test, just from listening to cymbals.

I listen to music for maybe 12 hours a day every day. I find listening to PCM5xxx series DAC's fatiguing, to the point where I've had enough of listening to music after a couple of hours and would rather sit in silence.

And before anyone points out that it's all about the impl, not the DAC chip...... I've listened to cheap, I've owned expensive, I bought into the "gotta up/oversample to 8x rates to get rid of the crappy built-in FIR"....... I probably have every PCM5xxx RPi HAT/board ever made. (And a couple that other people have never heard, because they never went on sale.) I have yet to hear anything using a PCM5xxx series chip that I would describe as a "keeper" in either my main system or the much cheaper system I often listen to while I work. YMMV.

Having listened to Kali+Piano 2.0 for a few days I'll give the Mambo LS another go for a while and report back.

Different people, different tastes. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, other than me! ;)
I know some people really rate the TI PCM5xxx series. That's fine. They are entitled to their opinion. I just find it a shame, that considering the heritage, BB, stuff like the PCM1704 and even PCM1794, that I do have a lot of time for, I find myself using the words PCM5xxx and the word junk, in the same sentence.

BTW John, didn't get to the PO yesterday. Will post on Monday morning.

Don't disagree with that. The thing is that more (rather than less) people who have compared ES9023 boards/HATs to the PCM5xxx stuff, usually end up with a preference for the former.

I can pick out a PCM5xxx DAC in a blind listening test, just from listening to cymbals.

I listen to music for maybe 12 hours a day every day. I find listening to PCM5xxx series DAC's fatiguing, to the point where I've had enough of listening to music after a couple of hours and would rather sit in silence.

And before anyone points out that it's all about the impl, not the DAC chip...... I've listened to cheap, I've owned expensive, I bought into the "gotta up/oversample to 8x rates to get rid of the crappy built-in FIR"....... I probably have every PCM5xxx RPi HAT/board ever made. (And a couple that other people have never heard, because they never went on sale.) I have yet to hear anything using a PCM5xxx series chip that I would describe as a "keeper" in either my main system or the much cheaper system I often listen to while I work. YMMV.

Thanks for explaining your comment.

Just shows doesn't it... every ESS DAC I have tried (from peanuts to £3K) has been underwhelming in a hifi-but-no-music sort of way. I must admit I haven't tried an ESS with the RPI though.

I find the RPi & IQDAC+ combo is very sensitive to the power supply and surprisingly the transformer and rectifier combo seems to make more difference to the sound than the actual reg used. But done right it's a very fine sounding combo that I can listen to all day, it certainly passes the "just one more track" and "just a bit louder" tests.
WRT the filter settings on the 5122, I cannot hear any difference between any of the settings (in Moode). Maybe I'm deaf, but I do hear significant differences in PS arrangments.

Last edited: