• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

I'm looking at Allo's Katana alone order page Katana DAC and there an option for an "Extra Output Stage". Can someone please help explain what the Extra Output Stage is/does ?

Thanks

Katana gives you the choice between 2 stages:

"Pure THD+N": At -112.9 Thd+n 1Khz A weighted, this stage will satisfy those that want no distortion in music. Board sounds very good.

"Sound quality" stage: 100.5 Thd+n a weighted 1Khz, this board has been optimized for sound quality. While sacrificing some thd+n numbers we found the subjective experience to be, in a word, closer to analog sound.

The difference between the output stages depend on your system and your personal preference. We really like both.

Thanks for your reply. The improvements to the Boss v1.2 are certainly attractive. I do believe that taking advantage of the capability of the Boss to turn off the hardware upsampling when the data rate is 384/24 makes a real difference. The Isolator is also an attractive idea to me, but I wouldn't want to give up feeding the maximum data rate to the Boss (either version) just to use the Isolator.

Skip

Will someone explain to me why there is a difference in the opamp pin. THD optimized has the male pin.. whereas the SQ optimized has female pin?

For 2 weeks, I burned in the SQ optmized! As I was trying to install the THD optimized, I noticed that they have different pins. Now the THd optimized is useless.

Can Allo explain this?

They should be identical. IMG_20181122_181104.jpeg

Last edited:
Cdsgames,

How can the manufacturing release this opamp with wrong part on sale?
Will this reflect the quality control of Allo? I would assume that the Katana's sound quality will have high variation against the other batches sold to different customers around the globe. With simple pin in the Bill of Material, how can the assembly be wrong in spec that they will have to solder in the opamp.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In this thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/329911-getting-allo-coms-katana-dac.html#post5609856 , @Soundcheck posted:

Until now Allo did just half the job. Katana is just half a product/solution without PS. A pity they didn't manage to get Nirvana ready on time. That would have made at least a complete Allo "solution" and live for a lot of people much easier. Something people could have taken as reference to get started.

Of course you can buy these $11 Allo SMPS!?!? That's what Allo seems to be using all along. Then why people start building their very own solutions all over the place.
Let see where all this ends. This thread shows quite well how things are developing.

As soon as I get the DAC in my hands, I'll attach my to me well proven and reasonable iFiiP+capbuffer solution with heavily shortened cable to it. What I need to find out first though are the best spots to solder the power wires to the boards (nope no USB-C!). If anybody has done it already - let me know.

Klaus, I am puzzled why you take Allo to task over not supplying recommended power supplies when almost NO other major RPi DAC supplier does that. IQAudio, HiFiBerry, Audiophnics, and Orchard Audio, to name a few, all only list fairly basic SMPS supplies, probably all at roughly the same level as the $11 Allo SMPS, and none of which will likely best the iFi iPower. Only Collybia (the Mamboberry DAC people) have a high-quality low-noise linear supply that retails for 140 euros. BTW, based on what they say about it, it should be a very good supply for use with the Katana, in many of the possible power supply combos.

At least Allo is working on some options of their own. I look forward to what they develop!

AND I answered your questions on where to connect hard-wired power leads in the thread referenced above.

Greg in Mississippi

Cdsgames,

How can the manufacturing release this opamp with wrong part on sale?
Will this reflect the quality control of Allo? I would assume that the Katana's sound quality will have high variation against the other batches sold to different customers around the globe. With simple pin in the Bill of Material, how can the assembly be wrong in spec that they will have to solder in the opamp.

Hmmm I spoke to manufacturing, they have no idea how it happened. You have a new unit on the way.

Hmmm I spoke to manufacturing, they have no idea how it happened. You have a new unit on the way.

Thanks cdsgames.

Hope Allo solve this quality issue in the manufacturing. Of course, it is safe to assume that there maybe some opamps with the same defect delivered. Im just hopeful that your products will maintain affordability in the future and not recover the cost of Katana issues on the price of new devices.

Please Greg. No crossposting!

As I said over in your thread, comparing $39 HATs with a supposedly highest quality audio solution that's targeting the $1000 DAC segment is nonsense. Especially if you have a look at all the Katana powering options and power requirements!

Hardwiring:

Actually cdsgames promised to come back with a proposal how to hardwire the boards.
He also mentioned that Allo might consider to introduce soldering options on Katana 1.3.

Let see how this develops. It seems there are currently more pressing issues on the Allo table.

My audition update.

Now on its 2nd week. It has already beaten my friend's cambridge cxn v 2. Just as I thought having tried digione and Usbridge on my amp's built-in dual wolfson 8740 dac
Digitalis is present in the cambridge network player. The Katana v1.2 is more musical, I should say the non fatiguing and the close to analog sound are the best takeaways from buying a Katana.

Last edited:
Thanks cdsgames.

Hope Allo solve this quality issue in the manufacturing. Of course, it is safe to assume that there maybe some opamps with the same defect delivered. Im just hopeful that your products will maintain affordability in the future and not recover the cost of Katana issues on the price of new devices.

Hi Marudo

There were 3 boards sent by mistake with the issue. Seems that CS already spoken to the manufacturing and they were aware of this.

We rushed your order and sometimes thats not a good thing for our packing people. Anyway , we will take care of you and replace it. I know that you have to drive a long way to pick it up ...will see if on next gen we can include one more free goodie for you.

Problem was solved a while back and every order is sent with the correct boards.

My audition update.

Now on its 2nd week. It has already beaten the my friend's cambridge cxn v 2. Just as I thought having tried digione and Usbridge on my amp's built-in dual wolfson 8740 dac
Digitalis is present in the cambridge network player. The Katana v1.2 is more musical, I should say the non fatiguing and the close to analog sound are the best takeaways from buying a Katana.

It will be interesting to see how good Katana can be vs big companies dacs.