• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Edcor opt, what would a 150ohm primary be used for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I kinda have a feeling someone paid to have this opt designed, maybe we'll see a project around here. I keep kicking around the idea of paying for a 32ohm opt for headphone use. The design costs are pretty low I'm surprised more people don't pay for custom opts from Edcor.

No, I'm not looking for equivalent exactly. Let me rephrase my question. Hammond have two ranges of SE OTs, one is top-end, the other is their economical range. If I'm being stingy (which isn't unusual :D) then I start looking for even cheaper options. Low and behold I find Edcor who have an even more economical option. But then I wonder if 'I get what I pay for' I must be giving up a lot of sonic performance. So I ask those who may know, do the cheapo Edcor transformers compare with the cheapo Hammond or are they totally crap ? agains, sorry for off-topic, but this thread got me thinking about Edcor for the first time.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Bigun, maybe take a look at both home sites, Hammond and Edcor, and compare specs on frequency responses
might tell you more about what kind of quality you are looking at

other than that, I think we better get back to the special low impedance trafos presented here
be it autoformer or gapped OPT

I suspect both are best used with "parafeed" OTL designs ?
Or maybe making a stronger OTL head amp into a small flea amp ?
If being "parafeed" I suppose such SE OPT could just as well be used with PP design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.