New-dual mono power amp # 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TO DONK AND LEONIDA:

No it is NOT a Leach amp but after visiting the Leach website, I do reckon that they look a little similar.

I will try to get in touch with the guy wich is behind the PCB boards (inventor) and will try to convince him to explain/comment a little more on the boards.

He might answer the different tech questions.

Regards

Scorpion

The amp looks stunning! congrats.

I recently went dual mono with 2 seperate identical power amps and the sound difference is massive at higher volumes much better deep bass and much clearer overall sound. I wasnt expecting it to make hardly and difference.. but it did and im glad!

It seems almost too good to be able to double the output power as impedance is halved, only 2 output transistor pairs per channel can achieve nearly 1KW class AB!? what are the output transistors?

Andrew is right, someone is telling stories.

It is a Leach with two pair of MJ15024/25 instead of the specified MJ15003/04, with foldback current limiting.

I had several Leach amps running off ±63V with three pair of MJ15011/12 outputs and 1KVA transformers. They would go into limiting when driven past clipping into 2R speakers, but it was a very healthy 300W/4R.

Based on experience, if you really want to drive 1R be prepared to use eight pair of outputs (I used ten pair on ±80V).

To AndrewT and all

You are right. After checking with the guy that made the measurements,....Measurements were made with a total of 4 pairs of transistors per channel (i.e total of 8 per) by using a small ''add-on'' board/heatsink containing 2 other pairs of transistors.

I was the one, thinking that it was with only 4 transistors per channel...

So my bad to all. It was my mistake and I feel really ashamed about it.

This ''add-on'' board is available from the designer of the boards and is going to be put in my amp within a few weeks.

I know very few things about tech and/or measurements and I am far from being a tech gizmo. My thing is more about building and listenning/fine tunnig the stuff.

Again, my sincere excuses to all. I should have double-check with ''measurements-guy'' before stating anything.

Now, I feel like and idiot !!

Regards to all

Marc-André

N.B THIS IS NOT A LEACH AMP !!!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.