New active crossover 2way design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4 channels gc into freedsp, feeding hiquphone ow2 + seas midwoofer.

5ee85c93fe46c46d7291b9e7162236fd.jpg

Sent from my NX506J using Tapatalk

Which hardware? I have: RCA->freedsp-> 4 channel parallel LM4780 GC with passive pot->2x2way vented box. I still have to add two more channels to my GC, and put freedsp in the same amp chassis. So far, only 2 channels playing into one of the boxes.

Freedsp seems like a very nice alternative to chunky and expensive passive crossovers, so I wanted to try it out. If it's good for Mr. Linkwitz, it should be good for me ;)

Future plans include arduino based 1602 LC display, relay input switching and motorised volume control, if the preliminary sound makes me happy enough.

Hi ZDR,

Do you have Classic dsp ? I see that InsanityDSP have digital in.

For me the problem with analog inputs in DSP is that you have DA conversion from PC, then AD conversion at input, then DSP and then one more DA conversion. With modern DA converters i am not affraid for that part but AD conversion is something that really bothers/scares me. I think that the best thing is to do everything in the digital domain and have only one DA conversion (at the output). That way there are much less chance for degradation of sound quality. IMO there are no cheap AD converters that do the job properly - if there are at any price ftm...

Account Closed
Joined 2001
No, the MiniDSP can't do that. You have to buy the 4x10 DSP which costs about $500. Thanks for the info.

Not correct. The cheaper models will perform realtime adjustment of equalization and crossover just like the 4x10Hd unit. You just need a sync'd umbilical connection in either case.

miniDSP is in the process of moving beyond the ADAU1701-based platforms. The new 2x4HD unit is quite a bit more powerful and has many more features.

Dave.

how did you compensate for acoustical effects ala baffle losses and driver limitations?>E.g not reality. cartoon Xover
this looks not much different in applying optimistic (symmetrical ) text book filters obtained from some on-line calculators.

Last edited:
Not correct. The cheaper models will perform realtime adjustment of equalization and crossover just like the 4x10Hd unit. You just need a sync'd umbilical connection in either case.

Oh it will? That's good news. So you can make adjustments to the parameters and hear the result instantly? I thought you had to make the adjustments to the plug-in then sync them to the miniDSP.

I just bought another 2x4 to integrate my Pluto+ sub with my LX Mini speakers. Real time adjustment will make that job easier.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Oh it will? That's good news. So you can make adjustments to the parameters and hear the result instantly? I thought you had to make the adjustments to the plug-in then sync them to the miniDSP.

I just bought another 2x4 to integrate my Pluto+ sub with my LX Mini speakers. Real time adjustment will make that job easier.

All of the miniDSP units operate essentially the same in this aspect.
If your computer is connected and the software sync'd any changes you make will update in real time. This process/feature has existed since day one....I'm surprised you weren't familiar with this.

Dave.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
That's a bit condescending isn't it? To date I haven't had the need for this feature.

Well, call it whatever you want. This is a feature you're now aware of.
I was just correcting misinformation in your earlier post. (It seems the OP wasn't aware of this capability either.)

That said, obviously you need to be careful if making real-time adjustments with a running system. Example: One accidental mouse click that disables a high-pass filter in a tweeter network might be a problem. :)
Pay close attention to what you're doing and you should be fine.

Cheers,

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.