New 18Sound beryllium compression driver

Its a 1.4" exit driver and I guess the diaphragm is 3" - 0010 ND1480BE - HF Drivers - Neodymium ND1480BE : Eighteen Sound - professional loudspeakers

I would sure like to hear this one. My hope is that it has better high freq extension than the Radian Be drivers.

Best
Kris

The implication would be that you have experience with the 951BePb? I have a pair on SEOS24's. My guess would be that all the Be frams come from truextant (probably 4"?).

In any case, it should be par for the course that any 1.4 throat will exhibit the same mess over 10k that would be expected for any other 1.4" throat no?

It was tested in Voice Coil a while back...I would have to go and look for the issue, but it seems (from what I remember) that the top end was sorted of ragged and rolled off.

Amazingly as a 34 Y/o male musician I can still hear out to 20k. Nerdy as it may be I bring earplugs to the movies (frozen isn't worth hearing loss). But from what I can still hear, no system is excellent directivity wise for the top octave. Not domes or compression drivers etc....

But me thinks that whenever a comp driver can bend the space time continuum, what is at stake is quite a bit larger than building speakers.

Which is only to say that "quid pro quo" the sacrifice is going to be the top end is a tad ragged for a 1.4 throat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seems to me the new generation Be drivers don't use the extra slit in the phase plug like the TAD so they tend to rolloff the top end rather then extend it. I looked at the graph for this 18 Sound and it is rolled off too.

The plot shown on this preliminary page is the one from the ND2080BE driver which has a 2" exit and 4" phragm, so it does not apply.

The ref is still out. If someone has access to early samples... impressions would be very welcome.

Kris

You need to go listen to some Danley Synergy horns. These will change your mind on what is possible.

I have. Although it was in the distributor's warehouse space. Certainly a truly excellent speaker, although I wouldn't necessarily put it ahead of what can be done with 951bepb (still working on that though...).

I'll admit I wasn't that focused on the top octave, but where the wavelengths are smaller than the throat size I don't see where they are any different from anything else.

This version is planned to control pattern only down to about 500Hz (my current set is down to 385Hz, but only Horizontally; vertically it is something like 2kHz). The new one will have the same pattern drop frequency both horizontal and vertical, horizontal will be wide and vertical will be narrow. Assuming it all works as planned, of course (not always a safe bet with these kinds of things).

Width about 21", depth about 22", height about 30". Bass should do about 80Hz if sealed, maybe 50Hz if ported.

The NSD1480N makes it through the top octave pretty well.

0008 NSD1480N - HF Drivers - Neodymium NSD1480N : Eighteen Sound - professional loudspeakers

There are titanium drivers out there that sound good.

"With its very high value of elasticity modulus (six times higher than titanium and two times higher than beryllium), nitride coated film is capable of doubling the titanium stiffness. The piston frequency range motion extends frequency by 25%, showing a predictable, ideal frequency response decay and avoiding top-end spurious resonances"

Physical properties of common diaphragm materials, including 18Sound Ti-Ni.

Interested in more information on compression drivers with magnesium diaphragms.

I would like to compare magnesium with the 1.75" PET plastic diaphragm in my 1" compression driver.

Attachments

• DiaphragmMaterials.jpg
    DiaphragmMaterials.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 483
can you give a link? :)

and what about 4" dia 18S drivers?..
You mean they're ND4015be ?

This review by Voice coil mag /Vance Dickason is laughable.
Response measurements, impedance, etc looks atrocious.

Took a 1,5" exit driver at 2500$ a piece.
Measured it on a 2" horn/ waveguide. Assuming with a random? and badly matching throat adapter by how the measurements look.
And did not inform the readers about it, as most do not notice the horn it was tested on is a 2" exit ( 18S XR2064 ) that causes the anomalies in the 10khz+ range. So the review is not really useful or representative of the performance of the driver.

https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-eighteen-sound-nd4015be-beryllium-compression-driver

So when looking for data on the 4" ND4015BE's, look elsewhere then voice coil magazine :rolleyes:

And no i did not request to reopen this thread, after 10 years.

Reactions: 2 users