New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

A single 250tc fane (using a receiver crossed at 100hz), can put out an insane amount of volume.

My subs are around 100db (4x12 92db each), and started to get clip lights flashing on amp (285wrms into 8ohm, 6th order to 27hz), on serious sine wave bass song.

Riahana "unapologetic", track 6 "jump" (27sec in).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-UdLzXJuUo

Fun standing outside my 4-plex and hearing my upstairs neighbor's different windows or door rattle on the different bass notes, standing 25' from building.

The Fane seems to be an interesting driver.

I've been looking into drivers for me JE Labs open baffle project and the 12-250TC is the top contender in my search. I have two other fullrange speakers and enjoy the simplicity of their presentation.

Would these drivers be considered to be neutral sounding? I'll be using a class D hybrid amp which has a fairly neutral sound but I would hope there is synergy between the two.

I thought it sounded pretty good in a K12 Karlson, aperiodic damped (leaky slit vent) with no eq - there were no noticeable funky artifacts - maybe a bit bright in the lower treble - its a neat (and rugged - for this forum) speaker - I wish there was a low Qts version for my regular Karlson.

I can see how 2x12" per side can work (with subs) for a portable small pa.
I'd active cross them for a whole lot more volume potential though.

I've been obsessing about the idea of a big rear loaded horn with the 12-250tc, possibly for PA use in multiples :eek: (ok would not be exactly portable.... :wchair: )

something like
Das Viech
but scaled up for 12", maybe a bit taller too (like mogale superscoops, 1,2 m tall or so).... that one was designed for a beyma high qts 8" full range driver originally, without rear chamber.

I drove the Fane a number of hours at 4 watts to over 12 watts at times and fs ~62, qts ~0.8 - that's plenty high for OB. I ran a P-audio 15cx with qts~0.38 on a small OB and it sounded fine - plus had good subjective control when driven hard. I had 12-250tc in the Karlrsonator 12 where it played hiphop bass alright - i should have taken a graph and experimented with stuffing to see what could be done in that relatively manageable cabinet. There ought to be some T-line that's acceptable.

Last edited:
if you use subs, I'd use smaller box than the rear horn, let alone double driver single rear horn, but for home use a 3m long stuffed may be interesting.

Mine has been in the system for a while and seems to not do enough wrong to compared to what it does right.

It is inexpensive, rugged, and so long as you use eq and can live with the dispersion, it works fine.

found something out today.

My sub went silent (not unusual with older equipment), but in the process of isolating why (was a bad rat shack patch cable to booster box), I had the radio playing on the receiver. I preferred Michael Jackson "Billy Jean" to be run wide open on the fane (no sub) than crossing it at 120hz on the receiver to the (working) sub. The bass guitar doing its thing really spotlighted it.

I know (feel?) that you can cross at 150hz even to keep the voice on a full range driver. But that bass line was disconnected.

Seems I'm onto the dual 12" setup (24" wide x 15" deep x 39" tall) hopefully this winter. Boards are all cut out. I figure it needs to be higher, but a can raise the box.

I've been obsessing about the idea of a big rear loaded horn with the 12-250tc, possibly for PA use in multiples :eek: (ok would not be exactly portable.... :wchair: )

something like
Das Viech
but scaled up for 12", maybe a bit taller too (like mogale superscoops, 1,2 m tall or so).... that one was designed for a beyma high qts 8" full range driver originally, without rear chamber.

Something like the "Viech" had crossed my mind too :cheers:

On the other hand, why not try a simple BR with 180 liters (6,356 cu ft)? Might be a fun project as it doesn't simulate too bad:

Attachments

• sovereign 250tc in 180l BR.JPG
    sovereign 250tc in 180l BR.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 409
Last edited: