• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Nelson Pass DIY FE 2022

Joined 2001
Paid Member
SOLD

Selling a rare and in-demand front end kit by Papa Pass (click here). This is the original version. $30 shipped in the USA. Paypal payment only.

Attachments

• FE 22 (2).jpg
    FE 22 (2).jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I just can't help myself, confused as I am about electrons, I keep building the stuff Nelson Pass designs and it works, beautifully! Then again, I always ask before soldering: for the FE 2022, with a bipolar supply (+/- 15V) and single ended input, everything marked VG becomes ground and even -IN goes to ground... Right?

Joined 2011
Building is fun, but unbuilding is not so much.

I would suggest instead of 3.3uF, making C2 = 10uF if you have any of them around and they fit the board.
Same for C3, if your load is less than 30k. Otherwise, no biggie.

Last edited:
Speaking of unbuilding...

I built the boards, connected them to my +/-15vdc PSU, checked all my connections, powered up... no signal gets through.

I am sure of the PSU, it tests fine.

The boards are the newer variety. I used the C6, used the included pot instead of R6, used R13 though it seemed unnecessary, left off R14 and connected nothing to the GF port.

I have single ended input so connected -IN to VG and VG to ground. V+ got +15VDC... V- got -14.9VDC. OUT goes OUT! All the solder joints are fine and yet, no signal gets through. Yes, I checked the signal coming out of my CD player.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was going to see if maybe one of the transistors has been incorrectly installed, maybe something got swapped, maybe the J113's are in the wrong holes...but I can't see it from here.. I was going to measure the current through each stage, but my DMM probes won't reach... wish I could help..

You are kind. I’ve checked those things. I checked every component except jfets as they were said to be matched ahead of time. I used close ups of other builds on the right FE2022 thread to select/align leads and holes. I wonder most about grounding and the missing R14 👀