Need USA citisen help to buy pliers from ebay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are three sprockets in front
and eight sprockets in the rear.
24 settings in all, from almost riding in place
to hauling *** once you get up to speed.

Yes, there was no miscommunication on my part.

That's why the bike has no chain. But with the new
information, it will and sometime soon.

Nut's and I just tossed the chain saw chain that I could use
for practice. The bike chain that broke...after bagging
and WD-40ing it...my other half "stored it" somewhere.

Cheers,

There are three sprockets in front
and eight sprockets in the rear.

3x8 is fairly old, should be not too hard.
It's like thru hole versus SMT the newer, narrower stuff is a bit fiddly.

...I just tossed the chain saw chain that I could use for practice...

No loss, chain saw chain is not really like modern bike chain.
Any bike store will have plenty of bits of trimmed chain and old chain for practice.
They should be happy to let you have some, otherwise just check the dumpster or find a more helpful store.
I have found almost all bike stores to be extremely helpful, most are run by enthusiasts.
That's why I was surprised by the $135 quote, hard to believe.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
This one has about 3500-4000 miles.
Best bike I've owned. Zero maintenance.

Attachments

• WP_20200415_19_31_26_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20200415_19_31_26_Pro (2).jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 212
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The belt drives caught my attention but they were quite expensive then and I did not like the opening in the back wheel frame (often closed with a meager bracket and 2 M6 bolts). M6 thread in an aluminium frame, what can go wrong? :) Ended up with a cardan drive ;)

Zero maintenance does not exist. Belt drives, cardan drives need regular checking too. These are bicycles where parts are produced cheap. Sometimes I think that the idea to use aluminium for many bike parts and using derailleurs were not the best of ideas. Before WW1 some bicycles were produced with cardan and gear boxes!

Last edited:
We are behind an expensive freight and Customs barrier, so "everything" imported is expensive.

So old Tech standby was to buy impressive quality Bahco pliers, they import best Swedish steel from headquarters by the ton and make tools here, so no Customs.

Only problem is that they cater to Automotive and Industrial market (their socket wrenches are to die for) and similar heavy duty stuff but clearly are not interested in the minuscule Electronics market.
So we buy a pair of their TOUGH "piano wire" rated cutters and carefully grind the external surface down *almost* reaching the cutting edge itself so cutting angle is proper for component leads and cut is almost flush with PCB surface.

They cut anything and last forever; I mean DECADES of continuous use in a service or assembly shop, not just occasional Hobby use.

These Bahco Argentina made ones cost $39.80 to us.

They are available at Amazon (Swedish? Chinese?) for $25 but then:

$25.65
+ $91.84 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Argentina
so reasonable $25.65 for a good tool becomes hard to swallow $117.49 :eek:

Attachments

• alicate-bahco-corte-cuerda-de-piano-2101gc-125-cromo-vanadio.jpg
    alicate-bahco-corte-cuerda-de-piano-2101gc-125-cromo-vanadio.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 148
Sorry but Bacho are no longer quality! I did always buy Bacho when I knew I needed a hand tool I could abuse for many years. But for some reasons are they so bad now, that even some cheap Chinese pliers easily outperforms Bacho!

I did buy 7 tools at once, to switch out some way to old and abused tools. I bought their bolt cutter, it got a big dent after cutting a single normal 3 mm nail, the side cutters did die after about 50 cuts in 2.5 mm2 copper cable. A needle nose plier did twist out of alignment when I tried to twist some heavy-duty steel wire for binding an electric fence. The rest of the tools do now reside in a new home by a woman who nearly never do any home repair. But still does she manage to damage some tools!

Buy Knipex or NWS pliers, both German.

Bacho is to Bahco what Squny is to Sony, or Panasoanic to Panasonic, meaning a cheesy ripoff.

We have the real ones, made here in a Bahco plant using Swedish steel, not a Chinese version and they are tougher than nails.

Used by Pros, they can not even TRY to lower quality under penalty of losing 100% market share.
They do not even try to sell to the general public or Hobbyists because they have priced themselves out of that market.
their bolt cutter, it got a big dent after cutting a single normal 3 mm nail,
Impossible with the ones available here, you must have been sold either the "similar sounding brand" one or a straight fake.

This is the Bahco Factory in Argentina.
As you see it´s a real Factory equipped with modern machinery, not an "open a continer and sell" operation.
16547_bahco1.gif

Thanks to Customs barriers we have kept more Industries open (proportionately) than good old USA, go figure, where almost everything is imported from cheaper labour Countries.
Globalization is the DEATH of Industry everywhere, except in cheap workforce Asian Countries.

Last edited:
I go to 'antique' stores to get good quality tools.
Everything else is disposable use a few times only.

But there are a few companies like Schiit Audio make it all local. (except ICs)
schiit.com

I just ordered the headphone amp and dac.

Last edited:
Glad that Bacho still makes some real quality, but here in Denmark are it all of very bad quality. The thing about China is not that they can't make superb quality, the problem is that product gets produced in China to save as much money as possible! If they can save 0.1 cent by reducing the quality by 50% then they do it.

jfetter: old tools are often of superior quality, but they are also used and often abused and the technology are often way behind. I'd rather support a brand that still think quality are more important than money to the wife's next mink coat. :)

I've been very pleased with Radio Shack's stamped steel, made-in-Taiwan "nippy cutters" over the years. When the cutting edge develops a burr, I just file it down or hone it with a ceramic sharpening stone (or a ceramic EPROM). For pliers, I bought two of the small Craftsman made-in-Japan needlenose back in the '80s. (Also bought the matching diagonal cutters, but they didn't work as well as the Rat Shack nippy cutters, so I rarely used them.)

What is wondering me is that you can easily buy professional pliers of all kind in a standard size for i.e. mechanic, electricians and lots more but small pliers for electronic, jewelry and things like that, is nearly impossible to get in any kind of professional standard.
In production is there no time for crappy tools but also no place in the budget for overpriced tools. What do the big production places buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.