Need to Pad down PAudio tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah, I see. Is this the crossover recommend by Common Sense Audio?

I can tell you that is not a good crossover for these coax drivers. Still, an L-Pad will help even this poor crossover. Get one, wire it up after the cap. It will help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well I don't know which of the coax you are using, but generally all these need a 2nd order low pass on the woofer, 2nd or 3rd order high pass on the tweeter section.

The 18" can be crossed low, because of the big "horn" (the cone). The 15" will probably need to be crossed over circa 1Khz-1.5KHz. That will go a long way toward taming the woofer.

There are still some thing you might want to trap out on the woofer, but just getting the right low pass filter on the woofer will work miracles for the sound. I know, I've done it, heard it.

Which highs are you referring to? The ones over 10k or the ones below?
If you need to level down the ones over 10k then a pad will be a good idea.
Otherwise, just decrease the value of the capacitor.

Anyway, i don't think that filtering those speakers with a simple cap will work.
At my current version i am using for my bm12cxa second order on the woofer and third order on the driver. I tried using first order (single coil and single cap) and i don't like the way they sound. The driver distorts at high power.

I also don't like the way the driver(bmd440s) sounds if it is playing at 1.5kHz. It sounds like something it's ringing. If you look at the impedance plot you see a peak there, so it;s probably a resonance. It's also showing on the CSD plot if you measure it. Crossing the driver with a third order crossover solved this problem (for me).

If you are using a first order crossover it's likely that you are facing the same problem.
And of course massive overlap between the two speakers with lobbing and comb-filtering.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The problem here is that US seller Common Sense Audio recommend a simple 1 cap crossover for these. While it does "work", it does not sound good at all.

This has lead many builder astray. The P.Audio coax are being promoted as simple to use with only a cap on the tweeter. This does a huge disservice to these very nice drivers. A simple 5 or 6 part crossover will be worlds better than the single cap. The drivers deserve it.

IMO it would be great if Common Sense Audio would develop (or pay to have it done) some good passive crossovers for these drivers. They could even sell kits. It would be good for everyone.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, I'll see what I can do for a design. Since I have impedance curves for the 18" version, it should be close.

My shop/lab is closed until the new year, so I'm way behind on projects. but you should be able to put this together yourself.

You have this driver in a bass reflex box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.